SaltCritters.com

spazzing about my clam

fraggle rockette

fraggle rockette

i got a clam a few days ago and this morning noticed a soft spot on the underside of his shell- when i touched it it kind of went back in- the soft spot did as well as his mantle closed. is this normal- are these his threads or whatever trying to attach to the base of my aquarium? just freaking out... that's all. other than that he's very reactive and looks healthy- help? :happy: thanks!

Chupacabras

You stuck your finger in its byssal opening :o ? I hope you bought it dinner first!

:P

Yes, that's where the threads are created to attach to the rocks and where you need to keep an eye on for snails. That opening is the clams achilles heel but how it reacted is perfectly normal; you should feel around it every couple weeks until it attaches, just to be sure it doesn't have an infestation.

fraggle rockette
You stuck your finger in its byssal opening :o ? I hope you bought it dinner first!

:P

Yes, that's where the threads are created to attach to the rocks and where you need to keep an eye on for snails. That opening is the clams achilles heel but how it reacted is perfectly normal; you should feel around it every couple weeks until it attaches, just to be sure it doesn't have an infestation.

I bought it more than dinner- it snuggles thru the glass next to my bed every night! ;)

okay... so i guess it means it's happy if these things are showing now. should i put an empty clam shell or something under it so that it doesnt attach to the tank itself? what kind of snails should i worry about? i need to get a clam book. ehh.

Chupacabras

Buy this one. I believe they're pyrimidium snails, but darn if I can bemember the name for sure; I've never had a problem with 'em but that's not to say you won't.

Edit: Pyramid snails ;).

Juts put a flat piece of rock underneath it, that'll be for the best.

what are your system specs?

do you have enough light? stable calcium and alk? a way of dosing 2 part or a calcium reactor?

fraggle rockette

thanks chups- i'll watch my clams back

what are your system specs?

do you have enough light? stable calcium and alk? a way of dosing 2 part or a calcium reactor?

way ahead of ya ;)

calcium is high- no dosing as of yet but testing frequently. alk stable as well. have kent products to dose for both- daily dosing unnecessary as of yet though so no reactor or 2 part system. just got a sunpod 70 (14,000)- over a 12 gal, this should be enough i think... so far so good... i'll watch out tho ez... i know ur on clam patrol- i've read all ur threads :blush:

thanks chups- i'll watch my clams back

way ahead of ya ;)

calcium is high- no dosing as of yet but testing frequently. alk stable as well. have kent products to dose for both- daily dosing unnecessary as of yet though so no reactor or 2 part system. just got a sunpod 70 (14,000)- over a 12 gal, this should be enough i think... so far so good... i'll watch out tho ez... i know ur on clam patrol- i've read all ur threads :blush:

lol just watching out for both of you!

what kind of clam do you have?

fraggle rockette
lol just watching out for both of you!

what kind of clam do you have?

im pretty sure it's a crocea... it's about 2" or so and has a purple mantle with blue markings... just a baby, but very fun to watch. only have had it a few days- drip acclimated and seems to be doing just fine. :happy:

Clams are fun. The first time I noticed/touched the byssal opening, it seriously freaked me out!! :o My clam came to me from EX attached to a piece of branch rock, and then it eventually detached itself and fell off one day. :( But now it's happily and firmly attached again to that branch rock after I kinda held it hostage to the rock. :P I want another clam, lol!

Archived