Top Shelf Aquatics

Eric Borneman coral controversy!

RayWhisperer

I have no beef with EB or any of the other experts out there, but I do notice that the posts on the other boards are one sided and get shut down, etc.

Actually, I don't think the reefs.org thread is one-sided at all. It has a lot of voices from a couple different sides. The only reason it got locked was because after *34* pages I think people started getting a little cranky and sick of seeing it.

nit-picking his creds is beneath us imo. leering at girls ain't. :naughtydance:

I don't know... I had equally as much fun tearing apart that ridiculous salt study. I mean, I wouldn't have minded so much if he would have just admitted that it was a hobbyist's experiment. But he kept insisting and insisting that it was "rigorous science." Yeah right, in what world?!? Then I actually see people waiting for the salt study results before they pick a salt or start their tanks. Are you kidding me?! There's nothing worthwhile about that salt study at all.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had equally as much fun tearing apart that ridiculous salt study. I mean, I wouldn't have minded so much if he would have just admitted that it was a hobbyist's experiment. But he kept insisting and insisting that it was "rigorous science." Yeah right, in what world?!? Then I actually see people waiting for the salt study results before they pick a salt or start their tanks. Are you kidding me?! There's nothing worthwhile about that salt study at all.

can you link it? i've never seen it and now i'm curious.

RayWhisperer

No way, no more joining reef related internet forums... I waste enough time here already.

Happy Easter.

Haha... I don't think you have to join to just read the thread. ;)

Happy Easter to you too!

Oh wait... I guess you do have to join. Hold on...

RayWhisperer
Haha... I don't think you have to join to just read the thread. ;)

Happy Easter to you too!

I couldn't view any threads. It was automatically prompted to the login page. Someone will copy the goods, I'm sure of it.

Well, Borneman apparently made sure it was removed from reefland.com, but at least it's still on reeffrontiers:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20764

The weaknesses of that study actually start to get funny when you look at them more closely... you'll see.

silhaya: are you a scientist? you seem to be very familiar with experimental design criteria. plus you defaulted to using mice as an example...

I guess you could say I sorta used to be... I did a fair amount of medical research when I was in college (plus I was a math major). But I haven't done any science research since I dropped our of med school to go to law school. Still, I at least learned enough to spot a bad study design when I see it. ;) ...and I do have one peer reviewed publication in academic radiology while I interned at the NIH in Bethesda (second author even though I wrote the darn thing).

Thanks for the compliment btw... it did take me a couple hours to write that thing.

way cool - except for the law school part lol.

i gotta give that salt study a closer look when i get a chance. but then i'll probably just want that 10 minutes of my life back from what you say... after all, there just isn't any "real science" in the reefing world. sigh.

i gotta give that salt study a closer look when i get a chance. but then i'll probably just want that 10 minutes of my life back from what you say... after all, there just isn't any "real science" in the reefing world. sigh.

LOL At least you weren't unfortunate enough to actually go to the MACNA lecture on it. I DO think there is some science in reefing. It's just not in this salt study. And you really gotta hunt for it. Rob Toonen has some good stuff...

RayWhisperer

Why C7? I was waiting for Six to show up.. She's the one with the hots for EB.

BTW Sara, thanks for those links, though, one day, I'd like to see the study itself. (that's a hint to someone with the time to copy and paste it here!)

Why C7? I was waiting for Six to show up.. She's the one with the hots for EB.

Yeah, been there... it's just a phase. She'll get over it. (This might help: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/sih...g?t=1176051939)

Btw, the final salt study results have yet to be "released." The best you'll find is the RK "teaser" article on it. Here, I found it for you: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php

Well, it was supposed to be about the 2004 Model Corals Project, but I think it's gotten a little off track... please feel free to bring it back on track.

In any case, I've been way too laid back here. It's been a hoot, but I'm going to duck out for Easter Dinner before my stalkers find me and start claws-out pouncing on me again. Someone please offer them some Cool-Aid if they arrive before I get back... ;)

RayWhisperer
Btw, the final salt study results have yet to be "released." The best you'll find is the RK "teaser" article on it. Here, I found it for you: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/eb/index.php

What a load of crap. How is that anywhere near controlled? As soon as Any corals were introduced, it made for mass variables. They wouldn't use live rock, but corals would be OK. How then is all the extra life accounted for? Where did the macro come from? What about the other life forms? Might as well have used LR and claimed it was hobby related. It would have been just as useful as it is, anyway. BTW, how'd they keep the PH at 8.2 with the tanks sealed? O2 injection? Just wondering..

Why am I picturing this as a Dave Chappelle skit?

"I'm Eric Bonerman, BIATCH!"

"Hold my fraggin' tools, b!

"F yo corals, N!"

"They shoulda never gave you N reefs!"

"You people" (I love that phrase, particularly since I am one of "those people") have got to lighten up. First off, any paper in RC has got to be scientific, otherwise it wouldn't get published, right? And any paper worth it's salt (pun intended) would define words like "ramets", "autoclaved", "aliquots" and "calipers" while assuming you knew just what "Atlantic and Gulf Rapid Reef Assessment (AGRRA) protocol" is.

And comparing the pic from the post above of Eric to his pic on the back of my copy of "Aquarium Corals" it's apparent that he's rapidly working his way into being an "ugly old man" which I think requires no definition.

Save this post as it represents the most shallow and base I've ever lowerd myself to. Oh wait, maybe I'm worse when I'm chasing "poon". Need a def? Ask Eric.

The ###er to all this is, after reading all the critiques, and opinions about the best salt to use, I switched (after 5 years) from IO to Reef Crystals and with only one 10% water change saw deliterious results. I mean, absolutely ###ed everyone off in the tank. IO, IO, it's back to you I go!!! Funny how the worst salt in the study happens to be a salt that MD doesn't sell.

Wait, we were talking about stolen, dead and endangered, smuggled, sold and lost corals. Mysterious tank crashes and accused sabotage.

Funniest is how RC just gets better and better. Their "Thread of the Month" ends with a total tank crash after the story went to press. Ouch.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...ghlight=England

LOL Now there's a brief summary of events for you... (j/k)

Funny post Yardboy... I see this board has found your lighter side too. It must be contagious. ;)

RayWhisperer

C'mon people. Thirty more pages to go, add in some flaming goodness! Where's Six? C7's always good for a "moron", or two... Flame me, I don't care!!!! Hell, Mr. Anderson's given me a few good shots this weekend alone. I can't be that hard to bash.

neanderthalman
Seriously though, it's hard to compete with RC's drama when you don't have as many stuffed shirts.

We really are way too calm and collected here. We can almost handle civil conversations regarding politics and religion........almost. It IS the internet after all.

Edit - Here you go Ray.

E.B is a moron for not keeping everything on the level. Someone with his "celebrity" status in the hobby should understand that they are under constant scrutiny. Even if he didn't ACTUALLY do anything wrong, he should have had enough presence of mind to not get into a situation that had a reasonable possibility to be interpreted poorly.

We don't know what REALLY happened, but the very idea that he might have been involved in essentially illegal harvesting for profit doesn't have to be true to seriously damage his reputation.

"C'mon people. Thirty more pages to go, add in some flaming goodness! Where's Six? C7's always good for a "moron", or two... Flame me, I don't care!!!! Hell, Mr. Anderson's given me a few good shots this weekend alone. I can't be that hard to bash."

Im not generaly a mean person on the internet.... ill give it my best though. I need some time to mentally prepare myself.

I hate you you ignorant dumby poo head. Go wipe the drool from your bubbling lips before you make another stupid post. Go die in a hole.

Now I feel bad. I tried and no matter how many times I read what I just said I cant help but feel like a r-tard.

Archived