Coral Vue Hydros

Clam went bad

Snoop

I have had a 4in. dersa clam for about 4months now it went from looking awsome at night to bad and shrivled in the morning. Tank is about 2years old 30 gallon tank 20 gallon refugium 18gallon sump. 30 gallon tank has 250watt MH and sump has Euro Reef skimmer Bio load 1clown 1 sixline. doing a 10 gallon water change ATM no idea of what happened. Is there anything i can do to posibly save it. FW dip maby things dont look good.... thinking about ripping apart tank and making it sandless and cookign rock with out corals on in it expeirenced reefer leeve me some suggestions pls.

Sorry to hear about the clam. You might want to PM ezcompany since he knows alot about them. FYI, he freshwater dipped a clam of his that was having trouble recently and his sixline attacked it when it was place back in the tank. Good luck.

masterbuilder

Wish I could help with the clam...not enough knowledge of them to make any suggestions. BUT.........seems extremely drastic to tear down your tank just because one inhabitant is not doing well.

Wish I could help with the clam...not enough knowledge of them to make any suggestions. BUT.........seems extremely drastic to tear down your tank just because one inhabitant is not doing well.

I have had a couple random overnight deaths this seems like the only fix.

I have had a couple random overnight deaths this seems like the only fix.

What else died and what are your tank parameters?

You do realize your tank may be "too clean" for the clam. It sounds like you have a very good/clean set up going. If you don't find any other reason it's entirely possible that system is indeed to clean and it's not getting enough "particulate" suspended in the water to help it maintain itself.

Just a guess but it's worth considering.

Allen :)

My ideah atm is a spearing mantis i have heard a clicking noise for a while now not knowing what it was i have lost all my snails except the burrowing ones. Do spearing mantis break the shells of stuff they eat? I really dont think the clam died from lack of food for he died literaly over night. The 20 gallon refuigium currently has a plenum in it and is doing sooo good i am putting all my corals in it. I will be removing all the sand(tossing it) and rocks without corals will go into cooking for 2-3months. I hope this solves my dilima. My tank will be bare bottom for now on.

Archived