SaltCritters.com

Aquarium revisited - Nanowave

redbrick

sprintermike

Do you run into this trouble often? I just had a three year old JBJ nanocube 24 crack in the middle of the night and force me to replace my carpet and give away/sell my livestock.

I am quite nervous! Don't know if I would want to do that.

Any advice? Such as "this is done all the time" or "it happened to my tank and it's pretty easy (a fool could do it)"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any advice? Such as "this is done all the time" or "it happened to my tank and it's pretty easy (a fool could do it)"

Well, of the three NW9's I bought, I had no leaks, so I'd suspect it is a not-so-common occurrence. And yes, as you stated, "it's pretty easy (a fool could do it)" :)

Well, I checked the fit of my overflow on a spare chamber box I have at home, and the side fit is tight and flush. I dremelled out the slots about 1/8" deeper and it skill skims like ass.

hmmm...I still can't visualize what your conditions are. Take some pics or vids of your surface skimmer box so I can help you diagnose the problem. Look forward to your answers. Thanks :)

Same here with chaeto -mine doesn't die, it just doesn't grow.It has to be not enough flow in back, not enough light, or both. The light sure seems to be sufficient though. I never thought about caulerpa but I'll have to try some.

Caution with this plant...some folks on wetwebmedia or was it RC suggested that this plant does tend to migrate into the display...so caution with this plant is advised. I believe I also read some where that Anthony Calfo prefers this plant as a nutrient transport as well. (where's that article again....)

Oh no, just water tested my nanowave and it leaks!

Packaging looked great, what gives? Anyone else run into this trouble?

It leaks in the back near where the return pump sits...

I was also nervous about this at first and no leaks showed up during my initial fill test. Is it something a spot of aquarium sealant would hold and fix?

I figured out why all my chaeto was biting the dust:

The protein skimmer.

I was stripping out so much crap from the water column, there was no nutrient left to grow the chaeto. I just pulled the PS, and now my surface skimmer is working like a charm - go figure.

As far as the little leak and a spot of sealant, yeah -- that should do the trick :)

Now that is strange.

My protein skimmer is still in there and it does pull stuff out, but evidently not enough cause the caulerpa R. and Xenia both grow like crazy. I am considering dosing vodka per the recent RC article. I'm considering this cause even after all the export mediums at work, I am still getting some cyano here and there....

Good to hear its working for you though.

I tested the nitrates in my Nanowave yesterday - haven't tested them in quite a while. I was very surprised to find they were zero. That might explain why my chaeto hasn't grown - the nitrates must be being converted by my rock, and possibly be being removed by the skimmer as well. My skimmer seems to work well, although I haven't yet been able to tune it in to give dark skimmate. It's usually a tea colored skimmate and needs to be emptied about every 2 days. The zero nitrates might also explain why the Xenia that came in on rock from my other tank died out. I think Xenia needs nitrates, and some local reefers even put it in their fuge for nitrate export. No need for vodka here, but I have used AZNO3 in my RSM to get the nitrates down close to zero (0.1 - 0.5).

Skipped my water changes this weekend as the parameters on the two tanks were right on. I always feel guilty when I skip a weekly water change - maybe only three times in 16 months on my RSM, and first time on the Nanowave. I did get out some paper towel to skim the gunk off the surface of the Nanowave and was pleasantly surprised to see just about zero scum on top. When I did a lot of algae scraping on the tank last week I bumped my Koralia Nano on the right side, and it's been pointed upward enough to create enough surface agitation that the surface scum just didn't form. Or it was dispersed enough to get pulled into the skimmer and back filters before forming on the surface. The sides of the tank have been noticeably cleaner all week also. Works for me! :D

sprintermike

Wow,

I emailed Kim at aquamedic on Friday night at around 6pm.

I recieved an email Saturday afternoon stating they were going to ship a new tank to me on Monday morning.

Talk about amazing service!

Reefmack,

Don't feel guilty about water changes. Test and treat appropriately.

I ran my nanocube 24 for two years, with no protein skimmer, and only did 2 water changes of about 30% the entire time. The tank looked great right up until the day it cracked!

Wow,

I emailed Kim at aquamedic on Friday night at around 6pm.

I recieved an email Saturday afternoon stating they were going to ship a new tank to me on Monday morning.

Talk about amazing service!

Reefmack,

Don't feel guilty about water changes. Test and treat appropriately.

I ran my nanocube 24 for two years, with no protein skimmer, and only did 2 water changes of about 30% the entire time. The tank looked great right up until the day it cracked!

sprintermike, now you have an extra tank to mod out! :D

sprintermike - great news on getting a replacement tank! Did you originally get the tank direct from Aquamedic? I was thinking they weren't really selling or promoting the tank anymore (except by vendors selling it). Thanks for the info. on the water changes on the nanocube 24. I don't plan on doing them that infrequently, but now I don't feel so guilty, nor so worried that a disaster will immediately result from skipping one.

sprintermike

Officially I got the tank from a website called aquarium wholesale direct, but when I called the 800 number, it went directly to aquamedic, so I guess maybe they are unloading them this way? either way I recieved excellent service.

i had such a bad experience with my cracked jbj 24, i don't think i'll reseal the other tank, my nerves just couldn't take it.

Officially I got the tank from a website called aquarium wholesale direct, but when I called the 800 number, it went directly to aquamedic, so I guess maybe they are unloading them this way? either way I recieved excellent service.

i had such a bad experience with my cracked jbj 24, i don't think i'll reseal the other tank, my nerves just couldn't take it.

Bah, it's easy! So what are you going to do with it then? Here's a story: my first one from AWD/AM had not only missing hinge pins, the whole back glass was shattered. I have never built a thing from glass, especially an aquarium. I successfully rebuilt the destroyed NW9 into the aquarium system I'm working on (see the DIY thread in my sig). If I can do it, you can do it.

sprintermike

I'll think aobut it...it is possible that it may be converted into a terrarium for poison dart frogs. we'll see how it goes. righ now I'm awaiting the new one in a few days!

sprintermike

Wow, aquamedic continues to impress...today (wednesday) my new tank shows up (no hood on this one). The box was beat up, but the tank held water.

I can't believe they got it to me that fast!

I guess now I'm in the market for a nanowave hood so I can make my old tank a dart frog terrarium. I don't need the front lights (the refugium light will be enough) but I'll take what I can get.

If anyone has an extra that they need to get rid of, please contact me.

I'll be putting sand and water in as soon as my ro/di unit comes in (it should be any day now, I ordered it a while ago).

BTW, I was trying to get the top "border" off of the leaking tank so I could pull the refugium container, and get a look back to the leaking area. No go so far...maybe I'm just a wuss, but I couldn't pull it off. I'll keep trying, but I was surprised it was so hard.

Also, tested my homemade overflow box and it works perfectly!

If anyone has an extra that they need to get rid of, please contact me.

Nice job on the extras!

I *might* have an extra hood at home, I'll check tonight and letchya know.

I went through 2 or 3 NW9s before I got one that didn't leak.................... and I tried to keep all the extra parts.

sprintermike

So does anyone have any tips on getting the top black rim off of the tank? I need some help there if I want to covert it to a dart frog tank.

I pulled pretty hard but thought that I might break something...

sprintermike

That worked! Thanks for the advice.

When I got the top off and pulled out the refugium bucket, I could see the entire rear glass was cracked. Several big cracks, not just one little one. You couldn't see it from the outside because of the powder coating (or whatever it is on the rear).

Anyways, well beyond what some aquarium sealant could do. And I'm definetly not one to replace the whole piece of glass (though someone on this thread did say it was very simple).

Still looking for a front top to make a frog terrarium. I don't need the lights or even the fixtures, so PM me if you have something available.

That worked! Thanks for the advice.

When I got the top off and pulled out the refugium bucket, I could see the entire rear glass was cracked. Several big cracks, not just one little one. You couldn't see it from the outside because of the powder coating (or whatever it is on the rear).

Anyways, well beyond what some aquarium sealant could do. And I'm definetly not one to replace the whole piece of glass (though someone on this thread did say it was very simple).

Still looking for a front top to make a frog terrarium. I don't need the lights or even the fixtures, so PM me if you have something available.

Yep, that's how my first NW9 arrived. Hence the FrankenWave, and the simple glass replacement. As I said, I have the whole hood assembly, with intact fuge lighting, but no lights or fixtures in the front part.

Just a response to the chaeto not growing issue. I removed my skimmer last night we'll see if the extra nutrients help it grow.

Steve

Archived