SaltCritters.com

Aquarium revisited - Nanowave

redbrick

One year later.....

Here we are a little over a year and where is this tank? Look at Post # 3 and you’ll see when this tank started cycling. Todate I have lost a small cluster of GSP, a pink rim brain coral, a dying cluster of xenia, a wild clown, a spotted mandarin, and a green-legged hermit crab. I think about all these victims and I feel very upset that I have done such a horrible job at this hobby. Each one of these animals all counted to me and on me. I’ve stayed up late nights reading up on all that I could on each and everyone of these animals and yet…for some darn reason….I was just too slow and couldn’t find a solution fast enough to fix the issues.

Some interesting things did popup throughout the course of the year. I had three large branches of pink Halymenia popup and wither away for some odd reason. I’ve had a toilet paper looking plant that came and went almost as fast as you can read this sentence. I’ve executed a few flat worms that ate a whole lot of copepods. I’ve had brittle stars that multiplied to scary numbers. I had a brooklynella outbreak that killed the clown. As recently as a month ago I had a horrifying dino outbreak.

So….this is how the tank looks today. The damn tank looks like a freakin’ refugium. The fuge has nice clean rocks and a nice tumbling lump of chaeto. It’s almost laughable. Ah well…I do love my tank. I’ve kinda grown to really like the hairy untidy-ness of it.

So what are the lessons learned from all this? Answer: I still don’t know a lot of things.

Now where are those two nassarius snails?

post-26826-1207088732_thumb.jpgpost-26826-1207088766_thumb.jpg

post-26826-1207088779_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. I have a Nanowave 9 on the way to me. It's coming via Nanotuners - they did a hood mod on it, replacing & upgrading the 2 fans & enlarging the vents. They did a quick & dirty job on enlarging the vents, but said the fan & vent upgrade really increased cooling. So, I'm getting a new tank with a "cosmetically challenged" hood, with increased cooling, for a nice low price. Thank for sharing the mods you've done :) Wish me luck!

• 3 months later...

I'm still not done with my surface skimmer :( I'm having a devil of a time cutting the tabs and slots with an acrylic knife and trying to snap them out :P

I have a roto-zip, but a very unsteady hand! How on earth did you cut the pieces without a bandsaw/tablesaw, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. I have a Nanowave 9 on the way to me. It's coming via Nanotuners - they did a hood mod on it, replacing & upgrading the 2 fans & enlarging the vents. They did a quick & dirty job on enlarging the vents, but said the fan & vent upgrade really increased cooling. So, I'm getting a new tank with a "cosmetically challenged" hood, with increased cooling, for a nice low price. Thank for sharing the mods you've done :) Wish me luck!

Haven't visited this site in a long time... Good luck. I will look out for your progress on this site.. :)

I'm still not done with my surface skimmer :( I'm having a devil of a time cutting the tabs and slots with an acrylic knife and trying to snap them out :P

I have a roto-zip, but a very unsteady hand! How on earth did you cut the pieces without a bandsaw/tablesaw, etc.?

Hey I've been reading your progress....very interesting. The first thing that came to my mind on the mirrors was 'disco!' :) I like it.

How did I do it? You're right...the material can be very brittle especially with the tabs. I just practiced and practiced...that's all. Sorry if that doesn't help much. :mellow:

Thanks! I ended up just putting the damned thing in with it cut off where the tabs snapped off, and am engineering a second tiny piece to fit on the top -- I'll be cutting it out today (good thing I have lots of scrap as a backup:)).

I still haven't attempted the surface skimmer, as I really doubt I'll be able to fashion it with the tools I have. If anyone wants to make me one PM me what they'd want to charge me to make it worth their time. Otherwise I'll get to it one of these days. That's the biggest drawback of this tank - hard to believe they engineered in all of the other stuff, with no way to skim the scum off the top. I think the whole tank would be cleaner if the scum could be easily skimmed off. I've even considered putting in the Current surface skimmer, but that would take up a lot of space in the tank. PITA taking the scum off with paper towels! :rant:

I still haven't attempted the surface skimmer, as I really doubt I'll be able to fashion it with the tools I have. If anyone wants to make me one PM me what they'd want to charge me to make it worth their time. Otherwise I'll get to it one of these days. That's the biggest drawback of this tank - hard to believe they engineered in all of the other stuff, with no way to skim the scum off the top. I think the whole tank would be cleaner if the scum could be easily skimmed off. I've even considered putting in the Current surface skimmer, but that would take up a lot of space in the tank. PITA taking the scum off with paper towels! :rant:

Reefmack...wish I could help you out more than the instructions. The plastic overflow box is truly very easy to make. I only used an X-acto knife to cut the shapes out. If you know how to cut paper with an xacto knife and a straight edge(ruler) then this is really not that much harder. Just practice...I'm confident you can do it.

As for using the the paper towel absorption...becareful with that cause the chemicals used to disintergrate a tree into that thin slice of paper makes you wonder sometimes. Saw your tank thread...I will monitor your progress. :)

Thanks! I ended up just putting the damned thing in with it cut off where the tabs snapped off, and am engineering a second tiny piece to fit on the top -- I'll be cutting it out today (good thing I have lots of scrap as a backup:)).

Rockin'.....definitely need to see your results.... It's nice to see what others have done with their Nanowave 9's.

I think this tank had so much potential especially in the sub 10 gallon market. It's too bad Aquamedic missed out on some of the very important criterias of reefing.

-_-

…Some updates of my hairy scary tank.

‘Righty’ my 2nd new clown to partner with my current clown ‘lefty.’ It was love at first sight (wiggling dance and all). Although I can’t tell which is male or female since they are about the same size. I suspect they are still deciding on who’s going to lead this dance.

Three months ago, I had a horrible outbreak of dino….damn that was a disaster! In the healing process, my colony of Zoos, and first colony of thriving xenias perished. Really made me so mad. I have since changed my feeding practice and hopefully that fixed it.

On the flip side….I started with two heads of hammerhead corals…now I have 11 heads in 16 months. Anyone here know why the tentacles pig-tail like that? :)

post-26826-1218506781_thumb.jpgpost-26826-1218506833_thumb.jpg

post-26826-1218506874_thumb.jpg

redbrick - I guess I just need to get motivated on the surface skimmer. I've got the thinnest acrylic I could find at Lowes - a few small sheets of it. I've got the Exacto knife, acrylic glue, silicone, etc. Once I start it will hopefully be easier than I imagined, and wonder why I put it offso long.

On the paper towels, I've worked in the paper industry for many (maybe too many) years, and there's really nothing in a white paper towel that's hazardous to humans or SW critters. The paper process uses tons of water to pulp a tree & form a sheet of paper, and any chemicals that might be hazardous are washed out of the sheet early in the process. Even the colored & printed towels have to use FDA approved colorants. So, I have absolutely no concerns about quickly laying sheets on the surface to suck up the scum & oils.

On the hammerhead, I've had a few types of Euphyllia corals in the past, and never seen that pigtail appearance. Has it always been like that? It sure looks healthy.

redbrick - I guess I just need to get motivated on the surface skimmer. I've got the thinnest acrylic I could find at Lowes - a few small sheets of it. I've got the Exacto knife, acrylic glue, silicone, etc. Once I start it will hopefully be easier than I imagined, and wonder why I put it offso long.

On the paper towels, I've worked in the paper industry for many (maybe too many) years, and there's really nothing in a white paper towel that's hazardous to humans or SW critters. The paper process uses tons of water to pulp a tree & form a sheet of paper, and any chemicals that might be hazardous are washed out of the sheet early in the process. Even the colored & printed towels have to use FDA approved colorants. So, I have absolutely no concerns about quickly laying sheets on the surface to suck up the scum & oils.

On the hammerhead, I've had a few types of Euphyllia corals in the past, and never seen that pigtail appearance. Has it always been like that? It sure looks healthy.

Post pic of your final construction....I like to see it in action.

The hammerhead tentacles have been that way for many months now 6-7+. I hope its not deficient of some mineral. In all the pics I've seen online,I have not come across an instance like this yet.....these creatures are such a mystery. B)

Dammit,

I got a new piece engineered and glued on, but it doesn't seem to be surface skimming worth a damn -- maybe I need to cut the teeth deeper?

Are you fellow Nanowave owners still running the sponge in that compartment next to the skimmer? I'm tempted to remove mine, or replace it with some loose floss to get better circulation through the refugium section. My chaeto stays alive but doesn't really grow. Plus the sponge usually has a few bristleworms on it and I got stung a few times squeezing it out while cleaning it the last time - my disposable glove split while squeezing it and I didn't realize it till I got pricked twice by the little bast__rds!

Zombo - removing or replacing the sponge with loose floss just might get your surface skimmer pulling more, if the flow through the back is improved. Just a guess. Try pulling to sponge out for a minute & see if that improves the surface skimming.

I still use the sponge, but I cut it down by 2/3, and put it on top of a couple of cut pieces of Poly-Filter. I'll try pulling the sponge and see if the skimming improves...thanks for the tip.

I took the sponge out after a couple of uses. I found it difficult to clean thoroughly inside and somewhat of a hassle (always had dead critters -amohipods, bristle worms- stuck inside). I also removed the ceramic tubes. I use pillow / cushion floss / fill from walmart for $1.5 for a huge bag. I use the floss only after I clean /scrub the tank to remove the access free-floating algae, then dispose. This is the reason why my tank looks so hairy…it’s cause I don’t use the floss often…and the plants just suck up all the nasty stuff in the tank and bloom. This is okay because I have an emerald crab I need to feed anyways.

My ball of chaeto only needs harvesting once every six months. Not an efficient nutrient export ime. Grape Caulerpa....now there's a crazy hungry demon plant. I've got a love hate thing for this plant.

As for the surface skimmer not skimming…..couple of suggestions and checks….

1) Make sure the edges (sides and bottom) of the box make a clean continuous contact with divider. (this really goes back to craftsmanship) Otherwise enough water could flow in between the gaps reducing the effectiveness of the overflow box. I’ve had this happen to me in the first trials.

2) Cut a small rectangular piece (as you’ve noticed on the uTube vid) to adjust your desired water level. Do not let your water level get too high because your light fixture will start cooking your water.

Eventually coralline algae will build up and encrust your overflow box and it will look like it’s part of the tank.

A maintenance tip for those who are using the overflow box and prefer not to remove it to clean out debris that gets caught in the inlet grill. I cut a slim-jim like piece of plastic used to loosen any debris that could caught in the inlet grill of the tank. I agitate the plastic piece against the grill for a few seconds and the water level should fall back to normal. Hope this helps.

Zombo…if you can post a few pics or maybe even a vid somewhere and let me see what it’s doing and I will see what I can do to help.

Looking forward to hear some more responses... Thanks....

Looks like the tabs are not long enough to fully fill the slots -- perhaps I'm getting "leakage" at those points. I may find a piece of PVC tubing that is the right diameter to cover the slots completely, and then just notch the top side, and bury the other end in the sand :P

Carriegiesler

Fellow nanowave owners...I posted on the All in one forum however found the Nanowave forum so I will ask you guys too. Do any of you have problems getting cheto to grow with the stock fuge light. I started with a small sandwich bag full and four months later down to a very small hand full. In the fuge chamber and a small amount of live rock, yet the cheto still has plenty of room to tumble and move. Why cant I get this stuff to grow. This morning I did move my small clump to the display to try and save what I have left.

What do you think is the problem?

post-37503-1218738447_thumb.jpg

Same issue I have. It's healthy, just declining in size. I attribute mine to low nutrient levels and the emerald crab living in the 'fuge.

sprintermike

Howdy all,

This is some great info.

Redbrick-thanks for the schematic for the overflow box. I will be attempting mine soon. I may modify it based on my experiences.

If anyone has found a location that SELLS any type of overflow box for this tank, please let me know!

I just got my nanowave today...apparently there was a run that had some issues with a small piece on the lid breaking (probably they used the wrong quality plastic). Aquamedic scrapped the whole lot and I got a crazy deal on mine ($90 shipped to my door, no tax, brand new in the box)!

This tank will start as my quarantine tank for my hopeful Christmas time arrival of a red sea max. After I get the max fully stocked, I may put a clown or two in this tank.

Overall the quality is excellent. I am somewhat surprised at some of the design omissions I found. Overflow is one. I previously owned a JBJ nanocube 24. It doesn't come with an overflow, but the inlet is at the top of the divider, making the overflow mod a simple one, in fact, you could purcahse it for about $5. The "top of the divider inlet" that is on the nanocube also made sponge work easy. You put the coarse sponge on top, the find sponge below it. I even put a bag of carbon on top of the coarse sponge. You just reach in and pull it out to clean. If you use the coarse sponge first, and then the fine, you rarely need to clean the finer sponge.

I also wonder how hot temps will be. I have not modded the hood, so I guess I'll find out. It will be long time before I get any corals in here, so I guess most fish will be OK with occassional daytime temps up into the mid 80's.

Hey SprinterMike...good luck with your tank. I will probably turn my nanowave into a quarrantine tank or full blown refugium later as well. I've been looking into the Cadlights 39 Gal Pro tank...that or the Elos tank....haven't made up my mind yet. My gf likes topless tanks. :P

Carriegiesler...my chaeto barely grows in the fuge as well. I doesn't really tumble or move much in the fuge...but it does grow...very slowly. I just don't see chaeto as a very effective nutrient export means. My experience has been better with Cualerpa R. I usually harvest about a 1/4 pound of it every 2-3 weeks!!! If I don't trim the plant down, the perc's go nuts with the plant stems. They like playing around the tank with it....strange, but funny to watch. The plant also tries to suffocate my corals too....so it's essential I trim this plant down.

At the moment I just can't figure out why my second emerald crab has died. All the water parameters are fine, maxima and corals are in full extension and multiplying.... Coraline algae growth is going crazy.... I've only got two percs and a neon goby....I'm so lost....need to do more research. :angry:

Well, I checked the fit of my overflow on a spare chamber box I have at home, and the side fit is tight and flush. I dremelled out the slots about 1/8" deeper and it skill skims like ass.

Same here with chaeto -mine doesn't die, it just doesn't grow.It has to be not enough flow in back, not enough light, or both. The light sure seems to be sufficient though. I never thought about caulerpa but I'll have to try some.

sprintermike

Oh no, just water tested my nanowave and it leaks!

Packaging looked great, what gives? Anyone else run into this trouble?

It leaks in the back near where the return pump sits...

Fixable. The top trim comes off pretty easily, then you can pull the chamber tub out. Silicone it up and water test after 24 hours.

Archived