ReefCleaners.org

My new Clam

05XRunner

Nice clam.

What kind is it? I had a crocea clam in the sand and it died and I just got another one and a lot of people was telling me that the crocea clams like to be place on rock. Just wanted to share that with you.

thanks for the Info..I wasnt sure of the species..they just had the 3 clams listed as Clams..no species name...I will put a piece of rock on the sand and place it on that.

Fishfreak218

That is a crocea, and just because they dont like sand... doesnt mean they will die in it. I have had mine in the sand for a while now (like 4 months)... it is doing great.

Anyone ever have any issues with an emerald crab and a clam...I had my clam on a rock..and teh stupid emerald crab knocked it down into the sand...I guess I am going to keep it on the sand sitting on a rock..if it keeps it up that crab will be mantis food

Dude--- YOU ARE HOOKED!!! Nice clammy.

I thing the clam is knocking itself over. They wiggle trying to find the right spot. Mine used to take dives all the time---from the top ledges no less!!

I put a bunch of rubble on the sand bed and then place the clam on that. Then the clam will grab a piece of rubble and it becomes more portable.

actually the emerald crab was still on it on the ground when i found it...and I knew he was trying to mess with it earlier. I have it on the sand for now..I dont want it to end up face down and die or something. Yea I am hooked...I want like 2-3 more clams

That is a crocea, and just because they dont like sand... doesnt mean they will die in it. I have had mine in the sand for a while now (like 4 months)... it is doing great.

the only clams i have on the bottom now are a Derasa and a Squamosa all my Croceas and Maximas are in the rockwork.

in the wild Croceas, Maximas and Squamosa' are almost always found up on the reef. Derasa and Gigas are most commonly found on the reef also but can be found on hard calcium carbonate substrates closely associated with the reef and sand only if the sand is sheltered from strong currents. no clam will last long in a dynamic sand environment.

This is a quote from Chris and Barb moderators at www.clamsdirect.com

I guess I will move it back up on the rock work....there isnt any sand blowing around.

I just dont want my stupid emerald crab crawling all over it again and knocking it down. If it keeps it up I am def going to feed it to my mantis..cause this clam is to awsome.

Archived