SaltCritters.com

KMitch's Holy Grail 22gal Reef

KMitch

Howdy!

You may or may not have seen my current tank. Its a 10 gal tank that stayed with me in the dorms for the last year. If you missed that thread, here it is from birth to fairly current: Kmitch's 10gal Military Barracks Reef

I recently decided to upgrade now that I am not limited to 10 gallons and I have decided to plan this project out to the T. I have built an ATO, wave maker, LED moonlighting, and redone the whole tank. I am using a Finnex 22gal GLASS M-tank.

Everything from the current tank will be moved over. I got some dry rock from www.marcorocks.com to build a totally new aquascape. I am going to have an L shape of LR along the back with an island in the middle. On that island (which will have a bridge to mainland:) ) I am drilling holes into the rock so frag plugs will fit into the rockwork. That will be zoa island where I grow out all my zoas. The mainland will have the following livestock:

- Maxima Clam

- Blastos

- Montis

- 2 types of candy cane

- frogspawn

- leather corals

- mushrooms galore

- brain coral

- xenia

- Neon BTA

I got a SCWD wavemaker and have done some testing. It looks like my wave cycle will be 8 seconds on each side, which is perfect. I am going to be drilling into the false wall and having loc line for the outlets so I can direct current where it is most needed. Here are my teaser pics--- more coming soon!

Holy%20Grail%20Supplies%20001.jpg

Plumbing supplies!

Holy%20Grail%20Supplies%20003.jpg

Live Rock Rubble

Holy%20Grail%20Supplies%20004.jpg

This is the LR I have already built into my zoa island/bridge in the curing vat. Phew! will test the water tomorrow to see how were doing

Holy%20Grail%20Supplies%20006.jpg

geehee!

Holy%20Grail%20Supplies%20007.jpg

My current tank, which is busting at the seams waiting for this upgrade. I just took it at night so its mostly closed up and you see the flash, but you get the idea :)

Also see the pic with the zoa island I built here: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kmtchll/Marco%20Rocks%20010.jpg

Feedback, ideas, etc is always welcome. Check back soon for updates. I look to start plumbing tomorrow since I am done with my expirements for now!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought those lr rubble were doggie biscuits. "i wonder what's she gonna do with those?" :huh:

:lol:

thinking about a kalk or calcium reactor?

looks like a great start! plan and attack!

i thought those lr rubble were doggie biscuits. "i wonder what's she gonna do with those?" :huh:

thinking about a kalk or calcium reactor?

Actually they are killer doggie biscuts if you like suffocating your dog by feeding it rocks!

I was thinking about it, but they are so expensive. For now I might stick with my current use of calc in there.

I am going to redo the raintrays using chemi clean and purigen and filter floss and cheato. yippee. I might scrap purigen or chemi clean. I dunno.

OK... so problems. I ordered a Finnex M-tank. Well Finnex told the people I ordered from that they shipped Monday. In fact.... they never shipped AND they dont make this tank anymore. So for 2 week I waited for something that will never come.

BUT

To fix this, JT @ Addictive Aquatics is going to build me my dream system at no extra charge. Hes throwing in a sapphire skimmer, pumps, 150W MH with T5's, SWCD wavemaker, the works. Its all being custom crafted for yours truely.

The tank has curved front edges as well.... so hot.

Heres the tanks he makes regularly: http://wholesale.addictiveaquatics.com/pro...ugium-19-6.html

Each is custom made which takes 3-5 days plus the guy leak tests before he ships. So while I have to wait a little longer still, it looks like my tank is going to be pimped. I feel like i just got on "pimp my tank"

Heres my design:

Tank%20001.jpg

Definately give JT at Addictive Aquatics a shout out. Seriously. Even though there was a glitch, I'll say he more than took care of me and was really fast to get back to me every time.

I cant believe no one had anything to say about that. I mean I am getting my dream tank, free! Oh well, I'll keep chatting to myself :happy:

Did a test on the LR that was curing....woah. It didnt even register on the ammonia or nitrate scale. I think we'll give it another few weeks since the tank still is going to be a few days in coming! I did a 50% water change, and will do another tonite.

yay congratz Kris! woo woo that's a dead sexay tank!

(how's that?)

Can't wait to see it up and running!

I just saw this post :) I've been pre-occupied with trying to figure out if I want to actually mod my 8G BioCube or if I just want to toss everything in the tank and leave it be.

I just saw this post :) I've been pre-occupied with trying to figure out if I want to actually mod my 8G BioCube or if I just want to toss everything in the tank and leave it be.

Thats a stupid question, MOD IT SILLY!

that's great service from jt!

so he's going to replicate it entirely? awesome! are you keeping the rain trays feature? i like that old school touch! B)

Just got back from a week long cruise. I think I could classify as another race :P

I just heard that tank progress is going well, I will give you guys an update as I get it. I gotta talk to these fish of mine, they havent seen me for a week!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

My first batch of LR finished curing, I tossed it into my 10gal and took some cured stuff out to toss in with the second batch which is the rubble that will go in fuge.

Also ordered my red mangroves ;)

Tank should be coming this week and I can start the switcherooo.....

Saturday I built the frag isle, drilling holes in the LR to place frag plugs. It was super easy and I ended with some nice rock paste!

IMG_4836.JPG

And heres some pics of the upgrade tank for teasers!

Tank%203.20%20006.jpg

Tank%203.jpg

I also redesigned my plumbing. I am still using the wavemaker SCWD, but on one "cycle" there will be strong flow across the corals and on the second the water will be aimed at the surface and strong current thru a spray bar behind the aquascape. This will create an ebb and flow like motion. In the ocean part of the wave cycle happens at depth while the other is the "force" of the wave coming back. I hope to mimic something like that without a dump bucket.

My mangroves came today, they are chillin with the LR rubble.

My tank is being leak tested this weekend and ships Monday! I should have it on Wednesday of next week!!!!

The rest of my plumbing parts finally came... wow that took along time!

Also got my refuge mud and my LR is pretty much ready to rock and roll.

Regarding stocking:

I want to add at least one more fish. I currently have a small tomato clown(still juv), yellow watchman, and red head pseudochromis. I am thinking about adding a pygmy angel but I have always been fascinated with the curious wormfish. If I could get one I would in a heart beat. Any other cool fish ideas? I need a "show" fish.

KM

Regarding stocking:

I want to add at least one more fish. I currently have a small tomato clown(still juv), yellow watchman, and red head pseudochromis. I am thinking about adding a pygmy angel but I have always been fascinated with the curious wormfish. If I could get one I would in a heart beat. Any other cool fish ideas? I need a "show" fish.

KM

I would go with some type of pygmy angel.Curious worm fish might not be the best choice with semi-aggressive tank mates.

Congrats on the make of your Dream Tank!!

Yeah I am thinking that way, the only issue is that I am concerned about size. I want the smallest fish possible so I can try and prevent it from eating my clam at a young age....

i would not get a pygmy angel with clam. that appears to be the most commonly nipped. not worth the risk imo.

where did you hear that? I have known some people who've done it with success.

Thats why they say to get a small angel too, to train it away from that habit.

Archived