Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

KMitch's Holy Grail 22gal Reef

KMitch

Needreefunds

Sorry about the losses Kristen. Hope everyone else makes it through for you and you get a handle on the temp issue. Then you can enjoy that awesome looking tank. Hang in there !!!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I am starting to get nervous about the yellow watchman and pseudochromis. I dont really want to tear down the tank to find bodies, thankfully angel died infront of me for easy scooping...

ok i think we had a sighting of a yellow watchman, didnt actually see him but some sand flew near the tunnel where the pistol shrimp is when i moved over there.

Well heres my agenda for today:

- Install fan in the back of my stand to keep the ballast cool (it gets pretty warm)

- Get more fans for the tank light to tame that beast

- finish installing my ATO (I have it working, sorta. I eletrocuted myself last night testing it with a bucket of water (fresh!) and decided that was enough of that until tomorrow.)

Also taking suggestions on the fish that shall replace the lost Pygmy... :(

Well I got a fan in the stand which is helping with the ballast heat. Also got another fan from radio shack and now we have 3 blowing across the light. The high temp thus far is 81.5F but I havent had all three fans running today. We'll check it out tomorrow.

Tried finishing my ATO. I must be some kinda stupid. I built and rebuilt that stupid thing at least 3 times now and it still wont work. I am using this: http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html but for the life of me cant start a powerhead. I am about to throw in the towel and just buy one because I dont get it. The real ###er is that i built almost everything else for the tank, just cant figure out the ATO. GRRRR!

Red head pseudochromis has been spotted a few more times, although hes not being half as social as he used to be. Havent seen the watchman in awhile.

Also cant decide if I love my aquascape, its not speaking to me right now.....

KM

OMG that took forever and some inspiration from NeedReefFunds (thanks!) but I got the ATO figured out. I am not sure if I can even admit what was the problem-- nothing as bad as not having it plugged in but a pretty stupid error. So time to install that bad boy!

Needreefunds
OMG that took forever and some inspiration from NeedReefFunds (thanks!) but I got the ATO figured out. I am not sure if I can even admit what was the problem-- nothing as bad as not having it plugged in but a pretty stupid error. So time to install that bad boy!

Glad to help K!! ( your not even gonna tell us are ya?? ) :lol:

Doing an expirement, I setup the ATO tonite but I am realizing that I get alot of evap. So i took a dry erase marker and I am tracking my evap over the next 12 hrs.

Temps have leveled off some. Top temp was 82F today but I think tomorrow it will be lower since the 3rd fan hasnt been running all day.

I would like to get it down under 80F.

THE ATO WORKS!! As of 9:45pm EST, the tank is finally setup!

Thoughts on the aquascape. I like parts of it but theres just something "lumpy" about it. Its just not as interesting as I'd like. I did it at first like this so nothing would touch a wall, aka no glass that I cant scrape, but its just funny looking. I might need to redo it-- tomorrow.

Pic update:

The ATO return and all three fans:

IMG_4994.JPG

Float switches in chamber 3

IMG_4995.JPG

Inside the stand. Note the ATO on the right wall and my $4 fan to keep it from catching on fire:

IMG_4997.JPG

Moe says "get that flash out of my face, i am trying to sleep!" (lights out):

IMG_4999.JPG

Cleaner shrimp being social even if moe isnt:

IMG_5001.JPG

Feed Me:

IMG_5003.JPG

Clam closed up for the night:

IMG_5005.JPG

A long climb for nothing:

IMG_5007.JPG

FTS at night. See how boring my aquascape is?

IMG_5008.JPG

Im liking it a lot, you did some good work. As for the aquascape,I dont think it looks bad at all. Just wait till it starts to grow coraline algae.

If I had more money I would do something very similar. But I sank all my money ino this-

better1.jpg

15 High with metal halides coming soon!

thats not bad at all...... i think i am going to redo it. once its perfect i wont touch it again, ever.

Yeah, Yeah, I think we have all said that at one time or another ;)

Your tank is looking great!

BEAUTIFUL! you might want to point those fans directly into the refugium. that will cool it down much faster. i had a simliar problem with my 90G and did not want to buy a chiller.

My 34G just came in on Friday and i got it almost all set-up. i love it so far. i took some pics and will post it tomorrow. i hope it will be as exciting as yours. hahaha

Ok heres some aquascape and tank pics for you:

Moe in his hairy mushroom colony:

april2%20029.jpg

Feather Duster

april2%20039.jpg

FTS, note the aquascape now has the effect like it is moving down and ends with the cave/swim thru on the right.

april2%20041.jpg

FTS with just actinics:

april2%20052.jpg

The ATO has been working well and my temps havent gone above 79 all day so I am happy! :happydance:

However, this has taken a toll on my ATO in that i have used about 1/4 of the water in my reserves already! eek. And it sounds like a toliet flushing every time the ATO goes. I need to get a check valve so the water wont drain out every time and I wont get a potty noise from this tank!

Also, dont ever start your RO unit without knowing how fast it can make water and then turn on loud music, its hard to hear the water splashing on the kitchen floor when it overflows! (not that I know...)

damn, you got me... although i was only moving the clam because I didnt like where it was. I am looking to get a BTA so I am trying to find a nice place for it

damn, you got me... although i was only moving the clam because I didnt like where it was. I am looking to get a BTA so I am trying to find a nice place for it

Word of warning on the BTA: It will find where IT likes, not where you want it to be :) Once they find a spot, they normally stay put.

Another warning, their stings will kill other corals. I had a BTA, and it grew, and grew, split in two, and both of them continued to grow. Well they killed a big red mushroom, pair of small candy canes, and some zoas. I ended up trading them into the LFS.

Archived