Pod Your Reef

KMitch's Holy Grail 22gal Reef

KMitch

Well, I'm a former SW Virginian, I graduated from VT in '03 (biology) and moved down here to Florida in '05. Working for the University of Florida now, though I'm off-campus here in Vero Beach. The weather is a billion times better than bleaksburg, but I miss the football games, girls, and drinking. ;) This place is like a retirement community...nice beaches and lagoon, but not much else to do.

Heavener Hardware is in town, right off of Main. 813 Kabrich Street, if you want to google it. Also, they've got a website, www.heavener.com. They're the cheapest place in town to get small pieces of glass cut, though they'll only cut simple rectangles and squares, no drilling or curved cuts. Just walk on in there and ask someone if you can get some glass cut and they'll get right on it. Pretty good folks.

And speaking of Zooquatic, that place was great. I had heard stories of when it was located in downtown, but I only knew it as it existed off of South Main. I got to see them expand the place though, glad they did that. I ended up renting a house just 1 street over from there, on Marlington, for a few years, I was in there all the time since it was so close.

As far as the dwarf angel goes, always make sure whatever fish you buy eats before you bring it home. If it won't eat in the store, then odds are it won't eat in your tank and critters can't live for too long without eating, especially since it probably hadn't eaten since it was collected.

-Dan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you've got a pretty good sized tank with only a few inhabitants (Yellow Watchman Goby, Starry Blenny, and Red-headed Pseudochromis, and Moe..am I missing anyone?). I would get a Neon Goby, either blue (Gobiosoma oceanops) or yellow (Gobiosoma evelynae or Gobiosoma randalli) and a wrasse of some kind, since your tank is moderately aggressive. A six-line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) would likely fit in well, as would a yellow "coris" wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) if you end up getting a lid as it might jump out otherwise. Another option would be a long-nosed hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus) if you don't want to keep any small inverts.

I guess the real question is, what are you planning to stock this tank with in terms of corals and other inverts? Are you going for an SPS dominated tank or stick with a mixed tank? Are you looking to put a bunch of Sexy Shrimp, a Porcelain/Anemone Crab, a Boxer Crab, or any other small sized crustaceans in the tank?

If you're going to head in the direction of SPS, you've probably got enough fish as it is, as far as bioload is concerned. If it'll be a mixed tank for awhile, you can squeeze another one or two in. If you want some small inverts, or are really really attached to your cleaner shrimp, you'll probably want to steer clear of the long-nosed hawk, and possibly the wrasses. Your clown is likely to end up being the most dominant in the tank, I'd think, since both the goby and blenny have their own little caves/holes/shelters. The red-headed pseudochromis are shy for a pseudochromis, but they can hold their own when they have too. Your other fish should be able to stand it's ground against the clown (like the long-nosed hawk) or be separated from it by territory/shelter (a yellow "coris" wrasse likes to sleep in the sand and can shelter there when being harassed and a six-line can hide in the rockwork like none other). Your options are somewhat limited for another "centerpiece" fish, since Moe is already taking that spot. ;) Tomato clowns grow up to be prima donnas and rarely like to share the limelight.

-Dan

wow thanks for the response. Moe is still a juvie so if i added a dominate fish he'd succumb to the will of that fish. I was definately thinking of wrasses. By way of corals-- I was going to start with some SPS and keep it a mixed reef for at least another 2 years until after I finish police academy. The tank needs to be stable by itself M-F with only minimal pampering while there so i was going to keep it light.

Thanks for the ideas

travisurfer

I like the idea of a blue neon goby. Why not make it a pair? Their great peaceful fish that wouldn't add much of a bioload. Wrasses are great but they are known jumpers and tend to decimate the pod population rather quickly. Despite what most people say, I wouldn't call these nano fish. If you don't like the idea of little cleaner gobies, you could get moe a mate unless you wanted him(soon to be her) go spouseless. Great call on naming him moe because it works for him being both a male AND a female. ;)

Moe is definatly the man of the house-- I realize hes a she, but moe killed the one mate i tried getting him and i decided that was very manly behavior. although most men would say thats womanly!

I was thinking of a wrasse actually- i have had 6-lines and love them but I kinda want something "different" that what everyone else keeps, so I am eyeing the various wrasses. Especially since working at a fish store i can order pretty much anything

TANK COMES FRIDAY! DHL shipping tracked it for me!

T

Cant decide if I am going to paint the background black-- opinions welcome!

Kristen

No opinions? :(

Kristen,

I am thinking about gettng that same 22g CADlights - did they do the SCWD mod for you, or is that now a stock item? Or did you do it yourself? I had thought about doing very much the same sort of thing. Also, what model pump do you have there?

Thanks muchly

Alex

Hey

I asked them to drill me the 2nd bulkhead for the SCWD and installed it myself after recieving it. And I am using the stock pump.

KM

So after watching the Braves loose to the mets :angry: i picked out my new fish-- a fairy wrasse. Not sure which kind specifically, we'll see what we can get next week by way of goodies.

Watch out for jumping. I've seen just as many fairy wrasses shoot up in the water column when being startled as head for the rocks/sand. You might want to look into a DIY screen top. It would still allow evaporation but also keep your fish in. Good luck!

-Dan

P.S. make sure it's eating. :)

lol yeah i'll check on the eating-- i was thinking about making a screen top, just havent decided how I would do it with the slight bow to the front of the glass.

ideas?

Well..... I have some updates I need to make.

First, Conch says hello:

IMG_5090.JPG

Secondly, got some new stuff today. Berlin skimmer and pump from eBay for a steal. thought i'd give it a try to see how it'd work. I attached it to a super powerful pump and have been really pleased with it so far. Also got a Koralia

IMG_5110.JPG

Berlin skimmer fits perfectly into chamber 1,

IMG_5111.JPG

After about 1 hr (I like dry foam btw)

IMG_5122.JPG

I also got a lid problem solved since I am getting a jumper wrasse. I opted to get a Versa-Lid for the AGA tanks and modify it. Took it to a glass shop and $10 later it was cut with the curved front and he had cut me glass pieces that would hold my light legs up. Here it all is drying up nicely.

IMG_5116.JPG

Until next time.... KM

Wow that skimmer works really well for a counter current skimmer. I would say the stuff is just as bad as a remora skimmer. I would definately recommend it.

Well..... I have some updates I need to make.

First, Conch says hello:

IMG_5090.JPG

Secondly, got some new stuff today. Berlin skimmer and pump from eBay for a steal. thought i'd give it a try to see how it'd work. I attached it to a super powerful pump and have been really pleased with it so far. Also got a Koralia

IMG_5110.JPG

Berlin skimmer fits perfectly into chamber 1,

IMG_5111.JPG

After about 1 hr (I like dry foam btw)

IMG_5122.JPG

I also got a lid problem solved since I am getting a jumper wrasse. I opted to get a Versa-Lid for the AGA tanks and modify it. Took it to a glass shop and $10 later it was cut with the curved front and he had cut me glass pieces that would hold my light legs up. Here it all is drying up nicely.

IMG_5116.JPG

Until next time.... KM

Hey Kristen,

Don't those CADLights tanks come with a top?

Got the hood setup and my new fish. Hes skiddish right now so hold on for pics later.

Heres a pic of the hood. I built "clips" to mount the hood to the side so it couldnt slide off the sides.

IMG_5127.JPG

A FTS, got the koralia setup pointing to the left where my SPS is going to start going.

IMG_5130.JPG

I love my $30 skimmer!

IMG_5131.JPG

FTS with the light:

IMG_5133.JPG

If anyone needs specs on how I built the hood, lemme know.

Also, my starry blenny always attacks me when i stick my hand in the tank. he comes right up and chomps at me. is that normal? hes supposed to be an omnivore! :)

wow that berlin airlift is old school. nice. i'm considering this tank or the 25g for my next little project.

yeah i remember reading about it in an old forum from Mike Gurrero (sp?) and decided to try it. Key is a powerful pump.

yeah i remember reading about it in an old forum from Mike Gurrero (sp?) and decided to try it. Key is a powerful pump.

yeah, no doubt a great skimmer. don't see them very often.

Archived