Cultivated Reef

Placing clams on the rock ?

DAP

I would like to add a clam to my tank in the future, all of the real estate on the substrate is taken,(what little there was).

I have seen people with clams on the rocks. I tried this once before in my old 125g. The clam was never secure and either crabs or the clam itself would cause him to tumble down the rock.

I didnt want to stuff him in a crevice because then the clam might not be able to open up.

So what is the trick to setting them up on the rock?

It's never easy. I've alway just had to place them into a decent size crater which will allow him to move a bit but not fall out. The only other think to do would be to clear a spot in the sand and place the clam on a small flat piece of rock. Wait for him to attach to it than you can move him onto the rocks somewhere. The rock he attaches too will be a nice locking point to keep him in place.

Cameron

you might want to try dremeling out a piece of LR or dry rock to seat the clam onto, a customized spot. you'd have to guesstimate the sizing for the intended clam and shape the recess accordingly. then secure it into place (epoxy, fishing line, etc.). and then finally, you can just plop the clam into the pocket.

beware the crabs. :

If you have a place in your rockwork where he could sit and attatch that would work. Also attatching to a rock and moving that onto your rockwork. Once attatched they are on the rock and definitely won't fall off anymore unless you cut the threads.

technoshaman

What kind of clams are they? Most maximas are rock boring clams to my knowledge bu a few other types show up occasionally - I have a hippopus that is a sand bed living clam.

Archived