SaltCritters.com

moving crocea clam

air_doc28

I have a crocea clam about 2.5" whicjh has been in my 10 gal AGA reef under 150watt Mh for over a week now and seems to be doing ok, but it moves around a lot on the live rock. How can I make it stay put. Does it need a smoother surface than my live rock? On that note, is it safe to use a smooth rock I found washed up along the beach to put it on?

perhaps it doesnt like the flow on that spot. i noticed that mine moved until i put it on the spot that it likes. just try a different spot in the tank

hmm.. I don't think too much light is an issue since they love light.

Too much flow perhaps.. I have a seio 620 and a AC30 powerhead in it along with an AC 300 HOB and an aquac remora.

If I put it somewhere lower where there is less flow I'm afraid it won't get enough light. My 150 watt Mh is about 8" off the top of the tank. How much lower can I place the clam? It was about 3" off the surface of the water before.

newjerseynano

i would only move him if he is in immediate danger, or if he is not attached at all. and if he is attached, use a razor if u can to cut the cords from the rock as to not damage the byssal glands. personally, moving a clam to where u want it is tough and too much risk, as they will just move and rotate again to their liking. hth

thanks, i think kobe found a place that he and i both like. it is in the top 2/3rd of the tank and not tye top 1/3rd. hopefully he has enough light here.

newjerseynano

dont worry about them not having enough light if they choose their spot, because they will make sure its enough light. good luck with ur clam!

Mine took a dive off the rock into the sand "head" first. Does that mean it likes NO light? :lol: But seriously, I replaced it back to it's original spot, and it's doing just fine. Hasn't "moved" yet from it again and it's opening up just as it did before. Maybe it just didn't want to live anymore? =/

ReefApprentice

I think this "moving" occurs when the clam shuts really fast, and happens to move somewhere. I doubt it is intentional.

Croceas are a pain to find a spot for....It took me a good 2 months for mine to find a spot they liked

Croceas are a pain to find a spot for....It took me a good 2 months for mine to find a spot they liked

How do you know when it "likes" a spot though? I'm still trying to understand the moving part. I've seen mine "move" when it shuts fast like RA suggested, but I've never seen it move from it's physical spot.

And if it just takes a dive like mine did? I'm assuming maybe it wanted to move, detached and fell on accident? =/

Can they detect corals nearby (say a torch that isn't touching it) and then decide to move? Or is it more dependant on water flow and lighting in it's spot?

i have 2 clams a crocea and a maxima. they love love being on the sand. but rotating itself. not moving. just rotate to get more light. they seem to be doing ok though

Archived