Cultivated Reef

maxima clam

dla

How big do they get, where should they be place in the tank and other info. that I should know?

Tridacna maxima

max size: 18" - far less in captivity

Lighting: High

Placement: sandbed, hard substrate

Feeding: Juv(<2") need phytoplankton; all sizes need adequate calcium

HTH :)

Feeding is still under debate. As a general rule people still supplement them with food but Knop is the expert on clams and suggests that many don't need food. My understanding is they like mid tank and prefer rock over sand aswell (so long as the rock is flat they don't tip over). Knop on Clam feeding

I would still feed them. A clam is a filter feeder and to deprive them of this wouldn't be giving them the full benefit of care like in the wild. I agree with them being found on the rocks in the wild. The only problem with replicating this in a reef tank is that when the clams foots and then begins to grow, it can sometimes be blocked from opening up fully and can slowly shift your rockwork. If you can get them to foot on a flat piece of rock and then move it upl that would probably work the best.

Drez- good article. :)

RAY TERRANELLA
post-8554-1171946848_thumb.jpgI've kept a teardrop maxima in my 20h for a couple of years.They like mh (150w geismann over mine) and I've never fed it a thing.The best thing to do is find a flat rock they can attach to and they will aclimate to your tank quickly.They dont mind a good current but like the tank to be established 8 mos or longer.

Archived