Pod Your Reef

Best Starter Clam

dchisenh

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what most people here think is the best clam to start off with. Either Squamosa, Maxima, Derasa, or Crocea?

And just as a side note, my tank is a 29 gallon with 7 gallon refugium, skimmer, 2-55 watt PC (10,000K and Actinic) and mostly houses LPS and a large Colt coral. I'm not new to reefing, but have never kept super high light items before, like clams or SPS. Thought I'd give it a try and any help would really be appreciated. Thanks. :)

-Dan

All of the squamosas I've seen are brownish and not that attractive. Do they come in blues and greens? And how much more difficult are the others compared to squamosas? Thanks so much for your reply LiQuiD. :)

-Dan

Derasa. Hands down the winner.

They can tolerate soooo much abuse its not funny.

one in the RPI tank is Uberhuge and has been through major catastrophies.

Its all about calcium levels and nutrition/light. Meet and exceed its needs, it will love you for years.

As long as you have a good amount of space with a lower kelvin light I would think. Deresa's are known to grow 2+ inches a year (they are the second largest species reaching an average of 2 feet as adults) and obviously grow larger and faster then Squamosas and we are talking nano here, so you will need extra room for a lengthy stay. Deresa in the wild live in shallower lagoons and are slightly more intense light dependent as well as prefering the not so normal lower kelvin temps. nano lighting (5,000-6,500k) to mimic. Again, they would prefer the light but can live in the lighting you have, just not as happily as the squamosa. Whereas, Squamosas typical living range is 30 to 50 foot waters, the higher kelvin (10,000k+ and actinic) that are typical over nanos (including yours) will do fine for the clam.

I had kept a squamosa for a while some time ago but never personally kept a Deresa so this opinion is derived directly from the findings of Daniel Knop. As Daniel put it "Tridacna squamosa is less demanding of intense light levels than even the smallest giant clam, T. crocea, and is therefore considered to be the most suitable of the giant clam species for the aquarium". I just feel that with the minimal amount of nanos space and the typical light spectrums used for corals that although they are both very hardy, unless it has a good amount of room and a yellower spectrum of light, the Squamy may be happier. If on the other hand, you have enough space with plenty of light and lower kelvin, then by all means go with the Deresa as Dave has witnessed that species go to hell and back.

As far as the pretty colors you mentioned, well, unless you have excellent lighting (your 3.8 watts per gallon is not much) and pristine water, I would stay away from the pretty ones for your first clam. You can sometimes find squamosas with a nice color band around the outer portion but are nowhere near as colorful as say a Maxima.

Thanks so much for the spectral information for squamosas and deresas. That makes perfect sense. I just had my mind set on a black/blue or black/aqua clam sitting in my sandbed towards the front of my tank. I had thought about putting him higher up in the rock work if he needed more light, but now it seems that won't even be enough. Oh well.

Now...to see if I can find a blue LPS that would work for me. :P

Thanks again LiQuiD, Dave, and Raise. :)

-Dan

technoshaman

Hippopus are about as hardy as they get just not very common. After that I'd reccomend a derasa or squamosa but the Derasa get big FAST so not the best choice for nano IMO.

Archived