Cultivated Reef

Captains MB5

Captain

Well, my new 70W sunpod came in today. yay! I went ahead and put it over the tank, and shortened the photoperiod to a few hours. It looks so awesome. I'm seeing colors in my tank I never knew were there. On the downside I got stung by somethin (no clue what it could've been) when moving my kenysa into indirect light and i have a red place that stings on my hand and my right arm is feeling a lil numb...I dont really know what to do so im just gonna wait it out. lol Pics will come after i get rid of an algae problem.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this tank is about to be no more...In the next week or so I'm transferring everything over to a ten gallon...5 is not enough room. =)

haha. yeah. In the beginning everyone is always like, "go as big as you can. If you dont you'll just end up spending more money upgrading...blah blah blah...." AND of course everyone was right....lol

Ok, so I plan on moving everything from this tank over to a 10 gallon, but i have a seemingly stupid question..When i transfer everything over to the 10 gallon tank the plan was to just buy 5 more pounds of cured liverock and add more water until the tank is filled...should I be concerned about another cycle? I'm afraid the new rock may cause some sort of cycle and harm the inhabitants of my 5. All the inhabitants are hardy species, but I'm still slightly worried. Is this a bad plan? Is this not the way to upgrade? any advice/experience would be majorly appreciated.

debbeach13

If you have room why not leave every thing in the old tank. Set up the ten with 5 gallons or so of new water and the new rock with just a power head and let it sit while testing. Then move everything over after the cycle if there is one. Of course that is just what I would do.Good luck what ever you decide.

The thing is, the room my 5 is in has to be re-done within the next little bit, and it can't be redone until I get this tank out of here...So thats the pickle. Oh, and there's no room in the living room for both the five and the ten...so, yeah. I dunno. So, i guess I have no choice but to do it that way. I'll just have to make sure if it does cycle, to make it a soft cycle...

noone else has anything to add???? well, fine then.....*cartman voice* Screw you guys, I'm going to Reef Central......haha

rotarymagic

You'll probably get no cycle... What I would do is after getting more live rock, sand, and WATER out of an existing established tank (not too expensive considering its only a 10gallon)... Drain as much water out of the existing 5gallon tank into 2 5 gallon buckets leaving just your sand covered.. Put all your rock, fish, and corals into the buckets so they're under water.

Take the sand from the 5gallon and the brain new sand ... put it in the 10gallon Take some of the water from one of the buckets and slowly put it into the new tank as to not stir up the sand too bad... start adding rock out of that bucket that you removed water from. Fill more water out of the other bucket... add the rock... fill the rest of whatever remaining water and other stuff and you're done... You will see 99.9% sure no cycle.

yeah. Thats the plan. Cured liverock is basically just LR from a established tank so that it has no die-off left. So, like you said, i'm hoping the established bacteria on my rock and the cured rock will take care of any kind of cycle....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived