inTank Media Baskets

Captains MB5

Captain

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HAVE PODS EVERYWHERE. I Left the tank and didn't really look at it for a few days except just to top off and I looked in and around there today and there are tons of pods everywhere. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I added the first citizens to my tank today...3 Scarlet hermits. (probably too many, but i hope not). I would take pics, but i figure no one really cares since they're just hermits. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Added GSP and a zoo frag (Brown with yellow center) that came with the GSP for free last wednesday. I think.

My Camera is a POS. I can't for the life of me get a good picture (or decent for that matter) oh well. :)

• 4 weeks later...

New additions.

Zoos and a Kenya Tree. I paid $20 for the zoo frag and $15 for the tree. The zoos came with around 10 polyps and the tree is probably around 3-4 inches.

Zoo's:

picture002hu7.jpg

Kenya Tree:

picture004ls6.jpg

HHmm, I guess my tank would be considered an abomination. I have a 5 gal. with 10lbs. of LR rock, LS, and I used 5 gallons of cycled water from an established reef tank.

I have 1 clownfish, 1 boxing crab, 1 emerald crab, 1 strawberry crab. 2 hermits (red legs), couple of snails, and one small BTA. Oh, and 1 cleaner shrimp. Pretty sure that's it.

I haven't done anything to it since the last time I updated! Sad I know. As for a FTS, there's barely anything in it, so I kinda find it a waste of time, but i'll consider maybe taking one later today when I have time to take a million pictures to find a single good one. :) Plus algae is a lil' outta control on the glass. I haven't got any snails yet. :)

Chaucer498, sounds good. You should start a thread about it, so you can keep us updated. :)

I haven't done anything to it since the last time I updated! Sad I know. As for a FTS, there's barely anything in it, so I kinda find it a waste of time, but i'll consider maybe taking one later today when I have time to take a million pictures to find a single good one. :) Plus algae is a lil' outta control on the glass. I haven't got any snails yet. :)

Chaucer498, sounds good. You should start a thread about it, so you can keep us updated. :)

get some snails! they will clean you glass for ya, i just bough 4 blue leg hermits for my matis today, i wonder if he will dine on them...

I like the progress of your tank so far. You should try to get some front tank shots. I have a 5 gallon minibow too, but mine is acrylic. Is yours acrylic too?

So far, I've had mine running for almost 9 months. I have dedicated my tank to keeping mushrooms only (with a small CUC and a porcelain crab) and everything is going well. I've noticed more than 6 new baby mushrooms growing on the base rock over the past 2 months. From what I've seen on the forums and from my own limited experience, hardy soft corals with low lighting requirements will live well under a 20 watt 50/50 bulb in 5 gallons. I think that keeping anything else is a bit risky and will only result in miserable corals. If you go for that lighting upgrade somewhere down the road... maybe it will be a different story. I'm definitely interested in how your 5 gallon will look after it's fully stocked. Keep those photos coming. :)

Yeah, it's acrylic. All the MB5's are. ;)

I actually updated my lighting to a 2X 18W fixture from coralife. It's alot better than just having the 20W 50/50 in the stock hood. It lights the tank alot more evenly. :)

I checked out your thread. Nice! def. a mushroom dominated tank!

know it took me awhile ot answer, but I'm not used to people commenting on my thread so I dont check too often. :)

Ummm....lemme think...

not including corals, probably around $150-200. but thats just ball-park. ;)

I know this is kind of a double post, but I figured I might as well post updated pics while I was at it. Sorry about the horrible quality. My camera sucks.

Button polyps (Brown with blue/purple tint around neon green mouths)

danielsfishandreef006tj5.jpg

Green Star Polyps with new growth circled in red. ( These things have doubled in size since I got them...WEED!)

danielsfishandreef008grak8.jpg

New RDE's from Nray still on there plug for now. (Although you can't tell by the pic what they are. :))

danielsfishandreef009vb6.jpg

Kenya Tree. One of my favorite coral i own. Seems happy with full polyp extension and has grown quite a bit since I've gotten it.

danielsfishandreef012ot3.jpg

FTS zoomed out so you can see my lights and all

danielsfishandreef011mc4.jpg

Zoomed In FTS

danielsfishandreef013vj5.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, Its been a very, very long time since I've updated this thread, but its been a very, very, very long time since I've done anything. (money shortages tend to leave you at stickin with just doin water changes.:) )

I changed my lights out today, and wow kids, it made a world of difference. You just dont realize how much your lights weakin'. Well, at least PC's. Of course I had 10,000k and the new bulbs are 50/50, so that made a difference in the colors of my corals, but still yet the lights are much brighter.

The other change is very important...beginners take note. I was using two cheap 50W walmart heaters that were supposed to be preset at 78F. Well, I was checkin that with a old school mercury thermometer that looked like the tank was stayin pretty steady between 77-80. WELL, I decided to go ahead and get a good Ebo Jager heater and a digi therm. The tank was actually at 74.5F according to the thermometer and the new heater kicked in as soon as I plugged it up and started heating to the 78 I set it at. Lesson here, get a good heater and thermometer from the start. My tanks been up since Feb. and its been that cool the whole time.

NO PICS. My camera sucks and I refuse to take blurry disgusting pics of my tank.

Sorry.

Well, I've gone on a spending spree on my tank. (a small one, but still a spree for me)

I add a DIY HOB refugium today.

It's a Cascade 300. Basically took the flow down quite a bit, and added a pound of LR rubble to the media area. Still have room for chaeto, which I'm gonna add down the road in a lil bit. Plan on buying the 6500k plant bulb from Walmart, and cutting a hole in the top of the fuge to allow the light in. I just have to figure out a way to mount the light over the top of it.

Total cost on this thing so far is about $42. $36 for the filter $6 for the rubble.

I think it's worht it. It added about a half gallon of water volume plus the rubble., and it add more flow to the tank.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. My kenya loves the extra flow and is completely open and swayin' and actin all happy like. :)

It's good to see you back in the game again!

I might be able to help you out with some mushroom babies, xenia and maybe even a small piece of chaeto for pretty cheap. What'll cost you is the shipping, cause xenia absolutely has to be shipped overnight. The mushrooms and chaeto can be shipped Priority.

I have some green striped mushroom babies and some babies from one of these mushrooms:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...eleon+mushrooms

The above mushies would look different under PC, however.

Would they brown up and lose all there color under PC's? They kinda seem like they would...If not then I would love to get some off of ya...I decided against getting any xenia for now. :)

Would they brown up and lose all there color under PC's? They kinda seem like they would...If not then I would love to get some off of ya...I decided against getting any xenia for now. :)

I had both of these mushies under PC for a while before putting them under MH.

The green one looks fine under both PC and MH.

The chameleon mushie didn't brown out or lose any color at all under the PC lighting, it just has a different appearance under different lighting. MH enhances it's coloration more. I will say that the intensity of your PC lighting makes a difference in how nice it looks.

A local friend and I both got some of these mushies at the same time. They looked much better in my tank than in his. I had 40 watts Current 50/50 PC lighting over a 5.5g, he had 2 of those 10watt screw in PC bulbs over a 2g minibow.

Here's a pic of the actual momma mushroom in my tank under my MH lighting. Unfortunately it's not the best pic as I wasn't able to adjust for all the blue. It doesn't look that blue in real life.

DSCN0887.jpg

I'm gonna have some zoas available very shortly as well, if you're interested in those.

PM me if you want anything, since I don't know when I'll be back to this thread.

My shipment of Rics came in today. This is this first time i've seen rics in person...AMAZING! These things are gorgeous. I've got an orange and blue ric thats about to split into three, a Blue on light blue combo thats about to split into two, and a orange ric with a blue center and a green skirt around it's outermost edges. So nice. I was surprised to see them open all the way up within a few hours of being put in the tank...:)

My shipment of Rics came in today. This is this first time i've seen rics in person...AMAZING! These things are gorgeous. I've got an orange and blue ric thats about to split into three, a Blue on light blue combo thats about to split into two, and a orange ric with a blue center and a green skirt around it's outermost edges. So nice. I was surprised to see them open all the way up within a few hours of being put in the tank...:)

Wow, that's awesome!!!

Where did you get yours from?

I've been wanting to get into them too and would love to know a good place to get them. I've been thinking about getting some from SeaLifeFlorida.

I only have 2 right now, both brand new, but I don't think they're as fancy as yours.

I got mine from alexmarinelife on ebay. I def. recommend them. The shipping is what cost me at, but $25 isn't a bad price on shipping at all IMO. :)

Archived