SaltCritters.com

Captains 10 gallons of Glory! (updated pics 3/25/09)

Captain

Most Recent photo:

dsc04030fg.jpg

A little dirty.

This tank started out as a 5 gallon a little over a year ago and I started running out of room so I upgraded to this 10 last week. Thankfully there was no noticeable cycle from new rock. I thought I might have to do a major soft cycle if there was. Anyway, here's the spec's if anyone cares:

Tank:-------------------------------------------

run of the mill 10 gallon....glass of course.

Lighting: --------------------------------------------

16.5" 70W Sunpod. Had to cut and attach inner lips for it to set on, but better that than buying a new light.

Filtration--------------------------------------------

12# live rock and an extremely thin sandbed. It's probably like 1/8"...it barely covers the bottom.

-Rock is Fiji.

The rest of the hardware doesn't really matter...it's the same on pretty much every tank.

Livestock:

---------------------------------------------

CUC:

2 Scarlet Reef Hermets that I adore. =)

Loads of Bristle Worms, which are also really good cleaners

Limpets...dont know if they do too much cleaning, but they're cool.

Fish:

Nothing! I may add a False Perc. but I'm big on keeping a small bio-load so we'll see....

Coral:

NOW:

-Various Zoo's and Paly's

-Encrusting Gorgonia??? (sold as GSP, but it's def not.)

-Mushrooms and Rics

-Kenya Tree

-probably something else I'm forgetting

Future corals:

Frogspawn or hammer

Duncans

Candy Cane

Other LPS...

Now for da picta's! Sorry they aren't the greatest, these are tripod free. =)

FTS:

2l942kz.jpg

FTS zoomed in a lil':

wkk6qg.jpg

Kenya Tree and Blue striped Mushrooms:

20ivv4y.jpg

Kenya macro:

358xaw6.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes and some of Hermes the hermit:

71qnoz.jpg

Green centered, blue ring, brown skirted Paly's (my fav. coral in the tank. These Pics do them no justice):

m81on.jpg

Another of a dif. frag of the same Paly's:

149pp5e.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonia with RDE's:

t55ctd.jpg

Closer pic of the EG...original frag of it actually:

2s0fhus.jpg

bad, washed out pic of the Rics:

33beao9.jpg

Limpet (in dead center):

2ykjsbq.jpg

Thats All! Thanks for lookin'!

Thanks guys! Took me what seemed like forever to get those rocks the way I wanted them. There's actually two caves, which looks nice and I'm sure the critters like em...=)

singmealullaby

Looks good! B) But I think your jager heater is too deep in the water, i have the same one and it's not completely submersible! might wanna check that out ASAP. :o

Carolinapico

Hows the heat with that light and heater? A few months ago i was running a similar setup (MH and heater) and it cooked most of my SPS frags one day, now i use my MH and the warm southern temps to keep my tank where it needs to be.

Great looking tank though, off to a good start! Nice rics. Whats up with the Zoas on the intake? ;)

Yep, that's actually encrusting gorgonian, you were right.

Looks nice, what future plans do you have for this system?

Sing, yep its the same as you have. Glad you mentioned that cause I knew it was supposed to be, but didn't even notice it was below the water line after moving it to this tank. lol. thanks!

Carolina, I don't know about this tank, but I had no issues with the 5 gallon. The temp stayed right around 78-80. As for the zoo's, the got blown up against the intake one day, and i ended up forgeting about them (long story how) and they started growing around the intake. Gonna have to get them off before too long before they stop up the filter. lol

Thanks Weetie. I think I may have gotten it off you if I remember correctly. Anyway, plans as of now is more coral. Duncans, Frogspawn, Candy Cane....I may add a false perc. or some other fish, but haven't decided just yet. =)

noobofreefs
Hows the heat with that light and heater? A few months ago i was running a similar setup (MH and heater) and it cooked most of my SPS frags one day, now i use my MH and the warm southern temps to keep my tank where it needs to be.

Great looking tank though, off to a good start! Nice rics. Whats up with the Zoas on the intake? ;)

Just a heads up but a heater shouldn't raise your temp. A heater only kicks on when the temperature gets below a certain point. You should always run a heater no matter what light set-up you run IME/IMO.

Anyways that tank looks great! The rics remind me a lot of mine, actually. That EG is really cool, and same with the rockwork.

Be sure to answer weetie as I'm curios too.

NOR

irishtexan

Sweet tank Captain! 10G Pals! B)

Its a great size though, not too big and not too small.

Are you planning on keeping any SPS?

-texx

Thanks noob and irish! Actually, I did answer Weetie...lol The plans for this tank go only as far as more coral. Duncans are first on my list, but I'm going to add Frogspawn and Candy Cane down the road. I'm too scared to try sps yet...but i've been tempted to get Montipora Capricornus....lol

well dang it. I put my hand in the tank to straighten up a rock, and I made the whole thing fall down...So I had to completely re-do my rock work...Pics later...grrr.

irishtexan

Uggh that sucks! Its better it happened now and not when its full of corals so you have to think about it that way. :happy:

So i took some pics of my favorite Paly's under the moonlights...figured I'd post them on here...Also, I have some more zoa's and a Incredible Hulk Toadstool coming in in the next week or so...so stay tuned for those! lol

9zn2c1.jpg

• 3 months later...
pismo_reefer

i really enjoyed looking at your pictures, your coral selections are awesome. cant wait for some more pic's, start fillen up that 10!

Are you sure thats encrusting gorganion? Cuz i had some of that stuff and the mat it had was white and it looks like yours is purple.

Yep, it's Encrusting Gorgonian.

He got it from me ages ago, and I'm sure that's what it is.

You are also correct that the mat on it is purple.

I've actually never seen it with a white mat before.

sorry, it took me so long to get back to you all. Busy semester. =)

Irish, the tanks doing great. Everythings growing in. I'm pretty much broke right now, so I haven't added much.

Captain, I think your right. 10's a great size. I love mine. Not too big, not too small.

Johnny, I'm 98% sure. There may be two morphs or something, im not sure. Someone with a little more experience may know. I got mine from Weetie, and she calls hers encrusting Gorg too.

Thanks Pismo. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to fill er up, but that takes $$$!!! and I dont have much of that. My majors are expensive!!! At least the art part is. =)

I really need to take better pics. Looking back on the ones I have, they all seem really washed out...=(

Since, there seems to be some new interest, maybe I'll try tonight...

Very neat, I'm intrigued by how clean a shallow sand bed looks....I'm use to looking at my relatively thick bed.

Looks great!!! Keep it up!

-J

Ok, thats cool. The polyps are at least similar looking to the one I had. Its just the mat difference, plus mine was thick and squishy yours looks thin, maybe its just the pic,idk.

But oh yeah... ha to continue... What got me interested in your tank was the thin layer of sand you have. I have a thin layer to bu not as thin as yours. I like you green polyps to, neon green polyps are my favorite. I need to get some.

Yep. Thanks guys. When I upgraded to a ten I used the same amount of sand as I had in my 5. I wanted to keep a very thin SB just so I wouldn't have to worry about nitrate bubbles or any of that sort of thing since I have no sand sifters. Plus I liked the way it looked at the time. Now I kinda wish it were deeper, but I still like it. =)

My tank has alot of neon green in it...Between the paly's, RDE's, and the Gorg (and freakin' cluster BA) I'm begining to get a kind of theme going on. haha

Archived