Coral Vue Hydros

pulled my clam off bottom glass (yikes help plz)

newjerseynano

newjerseynano

hi all i was moving my crocea today from the sand (where he burrowed to the bottom), to a plug for mobility. I asked rob from altis reef today and he said just tease it into coming off, so i did and im scared i might have ripped the byssal. How do you tell if a byssal is ripped or not, and does anyone have a pic of what a healthy foot looks like. He came off with sort of tornish looking strands attached, and the foot "opened" for a second to expose the inside, then closed. help!

o and btw thats him on my avatar

Just pray and give him loads of TLC , keep feeding him and give him the same lights he was used to. I would be worried, but if you really push it on the caring, it will probably heal.

Im sure it will be fine......I bet when the 3rd world clam divers are collecting hundereds of clams, they never just rip them off the rock, they very carefully lift them off the bottom!! ;)

It will be fine, anything outside of a clams shell is probably quite durable, otherwise it wouldnt be outside of the shell!

It really depends on what you did to it. If it is ripped near the body he is probably a goner. If it ripped near the glass you might be ok. If it didn't rip and you are lucky, then it will be fine.

Like the others said, you should just keep it in as good of conditions as you can and wait.

To move the clam you really should have cut the byssal threads off of the glass. That is the least stressful way to do it if he wont let go by a gentle wiggle..

Im sure it will be fine......I bet when the 3rd world clam divers are collecting hundereds of clams, they never just rip them off the rock, they very carefully lift them off the bottom!!
Wild collecting is bad stuff
The Propagator

Bristle worms will be your biggest foe.

Thats why clams are not foun don the ocean bedd 80 percent of the time. they are normaly found on rock work.

This is because thier foot is thier weak point. It is prety much the only direct access to them wen they are closed up.

If it is damaged I would place the clam on top of some rubble with the plug under it, use the rubble to stabelize it.

Bristle worms sift the sand bed all day and come to the surface at night.

If the injured foot is stuck in the sand they will surely smell it out and start chomping thier way in.

99.9% of the time whne a tank ha sno pyramid snails, or other known clam eaters in it and a healthy clam is lost, bristle woms are the culprit.

:(

newjerseynano

dam well i am giving him tlc w/ daily feedings and gonna do a change tomorrow. His threads like tissue was the only thing i could see that got ripped. Umm, yea about the rock thing, i tried placing him on a wide plug atop the sand bed and he moved off the dam thing. I guess he really likes the sand cause he is now burrowing again! all of my work is lost i guess. i didnt cut the threads mainly b/c it is a pita to get down in the sand to even find the stupid things. prop, when and if he recovers and is strongly attached to the bottom, will he still be prone to bristle attacks? Is it just the damaged tissue they go after? B/c if so then i really have to move him now, bf he gets any more attached. also, anyone know how you can tell a gaping clam? Thanks a lot u guys, i was very stressed this whole weekend and im still sweating it out. nothing rests until my clam is safe and secure.

dam well i am giving him tlc w/ daily feedings and gonna do a change tomorrow. His threads like tissue was the only thing i could see that got ripped. Umm, yea about the rock thing, i tried placing him on a wide plug atop the sand bed and he moved off the dam thing. I guess he really likes the sand cause he is now burrowing again! all of my work is lost i guess. i didnt cut the threads mainly b/c it is a pita to get down in the sand to even find the stupid things. prop, when and if he recovers and is strongly attached to the bottom, will he still be prone to bristle attacks? Is it just the damaged tissue they go after? B/c if so then i really have to move him now, bf he gets any more attached. also, anyone know how you can tell a gaping clam? Thanks a lot u guys, i was very stressed this whole weekend and im still sweating it out. nothing rests until my clam is safe and secure.

croceas are rock boring clams, it is going through your sand to find a more secure spot to attach itself to, like a rock. place a flat piece of rock under him and he will secure his foot again. this also helps protect the bysal area from potential predators.

Helfrichs Chick
Bristle worms will be your biggest foe.

Thats why clams are not foun don the ocean bedd 80 percent of the time. they are normaly found on rock work.

This is because thier foot is thier weak point. It is prety much the only direct access to them wen they are closed up.

If it is damaged I would place the clam on top of some rubble with the plug under it, use the rubble to stabelize it.

Bristle worms sift the sand bed all day and come to the surface at night.

If the injured foot is stuck in the sand they will surely smell it out and start chomping thier way in.

99.9% of the time whne a tank ha sno pyramid snails, or other known clam eaters in it and a healthy clam is lost, bristle woms are the culprit.

:(

Got a question on this note, I used to have a clam lagoon tank with 18+ clams, all different kinds, I always saw bristle worms, and never had any issues with them and my clams. So someone has actually seen them attack a perfectly healthy clam, or is it just what I think... a clam is on its way out the worms smell it and go for dinner, then we walk in and say it was bristle worms that killed it since their all over it??? There was some BIG one too! Maybe I just lucked out.

Got a question on this note, I used to have a clam lagoon tank with 18+ clams, all different kinds, I always saw bristle worms, and never had any issues with them and my clams. So someone has actually seen them attack a perfectly healthy clam, or is it just what I think... a clam is on its way out the worms smell it and go for dinner, then we walk in and say it was bristle worms that killed it since their all over it??? There was some BIG one too! Maybe I just lucked out.

i'm guessing the bristle worm will attack any living thing in a weakened state, just like most scavengers in the wild. (vulture picking out the eye of a injured calf or something)

Helfrichs Chick

Oh yea I would agree, I just see people saying you cant have clams if you have bristle worms, lol. I have rarely seen a tank w/o them.

newjerseynano

well the clam has reached the bottom again, and is doing fine atm. thats the first time ive heard of bristles attacking, usually its pyramid snails. is it ok that hes on the glass bottom thru the sand? i mean hes not willing to move, i placed him on a plug and a rock on the sand and he still move, i would think that he would move if it was suitable. W/e i will go along with what nature wants ;) . thanks guys

well the clam has reached the bottom again, and is doing fine atm. thats the first time ive heard of bristles attacking, usually its pyramid snails. is it ok that hes on the glass bottom thru the sand? i mean hes not willing to move, i placed him on a plug and a rock on the sand and he still move, i would think that he would move if it was suitable. W/e i will go along with what nature wants ;) . thanks guys

make sure thats where you want him though

newjerseynano

o i dont care he looks ill anywhere in the tank, and he looks the best in the sand (the lowest part in the tank, angle of light actually brings the true color out the fullest). only bug i have about it but it doesnt mind is that there is a lot of activity on the sand (nass snails, scooter blenny, etc) so he is more sensitive than big papi up on the top rock. It makes no difference tho, just he pulls in a little more, but he is fast to come back out. thanks guys

Archived