ReefCleaners.org

are clams just retarded?

djchristone

all right...i just noticed my clam has been eaten...-____- i believe the peppermint shrimp is the culprit...

i've had this happen before although in another tank but once again with a skunk cleaner shrimp.

are clams just retarded? -_- shouldn't they close up if something is picking at them? -_____-

er1c_the_reefer

usually clams slowly work downhill and once they hit a certain point they are vulnerable to predation by others as opposed to a single rapid decline. just because it was looking good for months doesn't mean it wasn't slowing starving to death or being eaten slowly inside out by predatory snails.

usually clams slowly work downhill and once they hit a certain point they are vulnerable to predation by others as opposed to a single rapid decline. just because it was looking good for months doesn't mean it wasn't slowing starving to death or being eaten slowly inside out by predatory snails.

Agreed ^

what eric said as well. there is noone to place the blame on but yourself. shrimps will not touch a healthy clam. did you keep rock solid alk and ca? do you have sufficient lighting? do you check for pyramid snails or pinched mantle disease?

for the snails you check 2 hours after lights out (pitch black). remove the clam and inspect with a flashlight, especially the bottom part. for pinched mantle disease, check the RC clam forums or clamsdirect forums.

as to the snails, i highly doubt it o.O

and the mantle was completely fine so i don't think it was that either

the clam was fine the night before. i moved it and it closed up so yeah -.- it's on the sand bed and when my nass snails came out, pushed it out of the way so yeah.

i had another similar experience like this:

linky

in that case, i had the clam for less than a week -_- it was like 3-4 days after i got when the f-ing shrimp decided to eat it -_-

get rid of the shrimp maybe? My peppermint shrimp is a bully too- if it ever got into something more than my mushrooms, it would be a goner...

Archived