ReefCleaners.org

Flame scallops

adam1121

Are they very hard to keep? One of my favorite fish stores has some very nice looking ones but i've been hesitant cause i dont know how hardy and how much care they require, whether they are ok with corals, other animals. So yeah any help would be appreciated

Yes they can be very hard to keep in a home setup. They are not a critter for a less seasoned reefer to try (not saying you are one).

These animals are detritus feeders.

In one science project they tried to keep them alive on varius foods in 10 tanks - none survived for more then a year.

I would advise you to skip this scallop, and if you want clams, go for tridacnas, not smaller then 5cm.

regards

It needs food thats 40 microns or smaller meaning that they are very difficult to keep except as a disposable critter as very few last more thant 6-12 months before slowly starving.

non-photosynt

The Toonen's article about flame scallops, I only can add - keep away from sand (when cleaning, it enters mantle and eventually kills scallop), let it choose own spot (don't try to remove) and no predators/nippers. Also heavy feeding, filtering an skimming.

Mine died, because of sand. :(

mandarin dragonet

they can (if scared-- eg: sudden loss/gain of light) shoot water out, and it could blow your lights if it hits....

theyre planktivores and they look lovely. if you can keep SPS ) and youre wary of lights.. go for it.

• 6 months later...
s0nginmyheart

Hi all, I might be asking a very ignorant question here (I'm a newbie to saltwater tanks), but is a Flame Scallop the same (or any different) than one labeled an Electric Flame Scallop?

The one at the local store had one labeled only as "Flame scallop" -- does this not produce the "electricity" of sorts? What conditions are needed to view this (ie in the darkest hour of the night, while feeding, etc)?

FLcracker94

They are the same.

The "electricity" I beleive is to ward off predators.

I love these little guys, I wish I could have one...

Archived