ReefCleaners.org

CLAMS and girlfriend

quy_nquyen

my girlfriend came over today with a crocea clam. i wasnt sure if i could keep it so i took it back to the fishstore near my house... but they wont take it back. im not sure what i should do now... it's about 2.5-3 inches and really sweet looking =\. i want to try and keep it but ive been reading that they wont do too well with lower lighting... im running a 70 watt mh plus a 27 watt actinic i run lights about 10 hours a day. currently i have it placed near the top of the tank.

what are my chances? should i try to sell it?

it's a 12 gallon aquapod.

You should be fine having the clam in your tank!!!! I think you will have plenny of light in there for the little guy...

You can put it anywhere in direct light, even the sandbed. Your good to go, as far as light.

YEP, but make sure your water quality is good!!!

Hehehe... clams make good water quality!

I plan to clam my 29 gallon biocube once I have 70w halide in it, in mine it will have to be closer to the light tho. (not on sand).

Advice: bury a flat piece of rock (or even a big seashell) under the sand then put the clam on top. The clam will then hopefully attach to this rock/whatever and then you can move him about without him falling off anything.

that's wonderful heheeheh i think i'll take my gf out to dinner :D i was about to hit her in the head hahaha thanks for the great help guys!

will i need to feed it anything or add any calcium or other element? or will water changes be enough to keep him happy?

They are calcium consuming machines. You'll need dosing, unless you plan on changing water every other day. Feeding isn't as important, they are photosynthetic. They derive most of their needs from light. A mature tank will have sufficient phytoplankton/zooplankton to sustain a clam.

Just dose kalkwasser, cheaper yet Mrs. Wages pickling lime. I have a crocea in my 10 gallon with 70w MH and it does great grown from 3.5" to a little over 6". I drip kalk from a bottled water bottle and small plastic valve and some air line tubing; in the evening every 3 nights.

Enjoy it!!

you need to keep your tank rock solid with at least 400ppm of Calcium and 8DKH of alkalinity. Fluctuations should be zero to none, and water changes will not keep this stable for you, unless you are using perfect salt...which does not exist. what salt are you using anyways?

here's the bad mother SHUT YOUR MOUTH Crocea Clam

clamtop.jpg

thanks for all the help so far!

I like it, good find on her part, hope she got a good dinner.

go for ESV B-Ionic for now, get the 64oz bottles.

also get a test kit for Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium.

for Magnesium you want to shoot for 1300ish. YOu can use Kents Tech M or just use ESV magnesium as well.

damned title is pure mis-representation...fraud....something.

here i am hoping to see some guy's "girlfriend's clam" and it turns out to be a...well....CLAM!

shiveley you've made my day :haha:

Jin i got a salifest Ca test kit today and after my test i got a result of about 560ppm. is this possible if i havent dose my tank yet? i did try the sealab #28. but could it have put out enough to push the tank to 560ppm?

btw the clam has attached itself to the rock already

my suggestion.....

save up for a diamond ring!

560? wow...sure you use instant ocean? freshly mixed I.O. usually tests at about 440 for me.

Archived