Top Shelf Aquatics

CLAM EMERGENCY

cpllongjk

Ok, is it possible for a clam to shed an old byssl string and grow a new one...

my new clam, crocea, was having its byssl string poping out of the sandbed, i gave it a nice easy tug to see if it was attached to anything. And it was attached to the glass. Now i just noticed the byssyl string that was popping out of the sandbed is now detached and floating around the tank! is this normal?

I have had nasty bits of slime--stringy slime---when I have relocated mine and had to really pull on them. There wasn't a lot of tissue in the slime--just some. I don't know how that compares to what's floating around your tank--but I'm betting you are OK. Unless something came spooling right out of the clam when you pulled it.

hollister_08

Now you got to be easy when trying to pull your clam off the bottom if it is attached to the glass, if you damage those strings it could possibly kill your clam! Then it depends on how bad you hurt him, is the clam showing any sign's??

Ok, is it possible for a clam to shed an old byssl string and grow a new one...

my new clam, crocea, was having its byssl string poping out of the sandbed, i gave it a nice easy tug to see if it was attached to anything. And it was attached to the glass. Now i just noticed the byssyl string that was popping out of the sandbed is now detached and floating around the tank! is this normal?

First post, the threads are Bysuss threads, a clam will naturaly drop these and regrow. Don't worry about it.

Nyles-

Helfrichs Chick
Now you got to be easy when trying to pull your clam off the bottom if it is attached to the glass, if you damage those strings it could possibly kill your clam! Then it depends on how bad you hurt him, is the clam showing any sign's??

Hollister, now I know we have not really agreed on too many issues, but I am sorry to tell you that you need to stop giving advise that is totally incorrect. There have been more than a few occasions where just a little reading and research could have helped you give the proper advise. IMO. I am NOT trying to start a fight and NOT claiming to be a know it all by ANY means. I just want people to be responsible and especially with the noobs on here. Incorrect advise can lead to a huge disaster for them and could potentially leave them with a bad taste about the hobby. I know... I know this is the internet and of course you are free to blab on all day long if you wish. I just ask you to think about what you say before you say it and TRY to give correct information as much as possible. I watch other posts and people usually say " well this worked for me..." or " I am not sure but I THINK..." They dont give a definitive answer unless they have the proof to back it up. Sorry if this ###es you off, just had to say it.

As for your clam it will be fine. You can cut the byssal threads (as far away from the clam as possible) they are just small proteinaceous "ropes". They will regrow pretty quickly actually. Your better off cutting them than pulling on the clam as they will just pull back. Its a good idea to feed the clam also after cutting the threads. It will help him regenerate the threads a little quicker. This is my experience and I do not claim to be an expert but I do have quite some time in this hobby.

Hollister, now I know we have not really agreed on too many issues, but I am sorry to tell you that you need to stop giving advise that is totally incorrect. There have been more than a few occasions where just a little reading and research could have helped you give the proper advise. IMO. I am NOT trying to start a fight and NOT claiming to be a know it all by ANY means. I just want people to be responsible and especially with the noobs on here. Incorrect advise can lead to a huge disaster for them and could potentially leave them with a bad taste about the hobby. I know... I know this is the internet and of course you are free to blab on all day long if you wish. I just ask you to think about what you say before you say it and TRY to give correct information as much as possible. I watch other posts and people usually say " well this worked for me..." or " I am not sure but I THINK..." They dont give a definitive answer unless they have the proof to back it up. Sorry if this ###es you off, just had to say it.

As for your clam it will be fine. You can cut the byssal threads (as far away from the clam as possible) they are just small proteinaceous "ropes". They will regrow pretty quickly actually. Your better off cutting them than pulling on the clam as they will just pull back. Its a good idea to feed the clam also after cutting the threads. It will help him regenerate the threads a little quicker. This is my experience and I do not claim to be an expert but I do have quite some time in this hobby.

i was going to post but my friends on RC have helped him out already so he should be fine.

First post, the threads are Bysuss threads, a clam will naturaly drop these and regrow. Don't worry about it.

Nyles-

i'd listen to Nyles. I have asked him about clam problems on another forum and there, he's a clam expert! :D

Archived