Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clam Dying

maaron

hi all,

seems my crocea was doing very well then all the sudden like a week ago it wasntb opening all the way and as the week went on it seems that the fleshy (blue) lining inside was being nipped at. The hermits and snails have also begun giving the clam alot of attention, like they do when a coral is about to die.

Anyway yesterday they really didnt go near the clam and it seems to be opening a little more, but u can tell something has been taking nips at the flesh.

Any tips on what to look out for.

Could be "pinched mantle" which will lead to death---and then the shrimp and crabs will have at it.

A 30 minute FW dip will work on pinched mantle. Sounds like you've got nothing to lose. fingerscrossed

ok ill check it outtonight and will also do a fw dip to be on the safe side

hold your horses, a FW dip is extremely stressful for a tridacna.

post all your parameters first.

post all your livestock.

post your lighting and location of clam.

post a picture of the clam.

hi all,

seems my crocea was doing very well then all the sudden like a week ago it wasntb opening all the way and as the week went on it seems that the fleshy (blue) lining inside was being nipped at. The hermits and snails have also begun giving the clam alot of attention, like they do when a coral is about to die.

Anyway yesterday they really didnt go near the clam and it seems to be opening a little more, but u can tell something has been taking nips at the flesh.

Any tips on what to look out for.

I agree with ezcompany a FW dip could easily kill the clam, specially if she is already weak.

Water parameters? What kind of light are you using? Did you change her position? I also own a crocea clam and she is doing very well. If you tell me more info I might be able to help you. (Send me a private message) At the moment IMO do a 25% water change, make sure your calcium levels are ok (390-430), the clam should get between 8-10 hours of metal halide light. If you are transfering the clam to a Q. tank, remember that they never should be exposed to air, NEVER!!!!!

I agree with ezcompany a FW dip could easily kill the clam, specially if she is already weak.

Water parameters? What kind of light are you using? Did you change her position? I also own a crocea clam and she is doing very well. If you tell me more info I might be able to help you. (Send me a private message) At the moment IMO do a 25% water change, make sure your calcium levels are ok (390-430), the clam should get between 8-10 hours of metal halide light. If you are transfering the clam to a Q. tank, remember that they never should be exposed to air, NEVER!!!!!

clams can be exposed to air. they are naturally exposed to air for a few hours at a time during periods of lowtides. a gigas has been known to be exposed to air for a period of 17 hours and has survived the ordeal as well. (it needs to be kept moist however)

personally i remove my clams once a week for periods of 10 minutes or so for a good brushing as a precaution against pyramid snails.

hold your horses, a FW dip is extremely stressful for a tridacna.

post all your parameters first.

post all your livestock.

post your lighting and location of clam.

post a picture of the clam.

See--but we know all this from past posts by maaron. All water params are perfect and the tank and lighting are a little small.

Just dip it. Dip it good. (Devo)

thanks guys, ill have to work on the picture and get some readings tonight. i have the clam under metal halides for months now and i do leave them on for 11 hours a day. i havent moved the clam or added any livestock. i have also done last sunday a 2 gallon water change (12 gallon cube) the clam is located in the rock structure halfway up the tank and hasnt been moved since day one. i also spot feed dt's premium phyto

the clam looks shriviled up round the edges.

thanks guys, ill have to work on the picture and get some readings tonight. i have the clam under metal halides for months now and i do leave them on for 11 hours a day. i havent moved the clam or added any livestock. i have also done last sunday a 2 gallon water change (12 gallon cube) the clam is located in the rock structure halfway up the tank and hasnt been moved since day one. i also spot feed dt's premium phyto

the clam looks shriviled up round the edges.

12 gallon cube, then make sure to give us your alk and ca readings. let us know of any deviations as well.

edit: how many watts is your halide?

how old are your bulbs?

how deeply placed is your clam?

As long as you are sure all the air is out when you put em back in the water, there shouldn't be a problem. You can "burp" it by tipping it and shaking gently.

personally i remove my clams once a week for periods of 10 minutes or so for a good brushing....

Clam scrubber! :D

As long as you are sure all the air is out when you put em back in the water, there shouldn't be a problem. You can "burp" it by tipping it and shaking gently.

Clam scrubber! :D

yes, i like to feel my clams :huh:

when letting air out of the clam, tip them upside down and rock them gently from side to side.

personally i remove my clams once a week for periods of 10 minutes or so for a good brushing as a precaution against pyramid snails.

You'll have to teach me your tips and tricks. ;)

Helfrichs Chick
Could be "pinched mantle" which will lead to death---and then the shrimp and crabs will have at it.

A 30 minute FW dip will work on pinched mantle. Sounds like you've got nothing to lose. fingerscrossed

Dude are you serious? Has anyone ever heard of this???? I have had tons of clams in my day hell I had one tank with 18, it was a clam lagoon. I would be sure that a 30 min dip would kill a clam. Has anyone EVER done a FW dip on a clam????? WOW thats just way beyond me.

Dude are you serious? Has anyone ever heard of this???? I have had tons of clams in my day hell I had one tank with 18, it was a clam lagoon. I would be sure that a 30 min dip would kill a clam. Has anyone EVER done a FW dip on a clam????? WOW thats just way beyond me.

I have yet to do one but I hear it is a common treatment for "gapping".

Entirely serious.

PM is caused by a protozoan, in which is for the most part largely unknown. It has been reported that FW dips on the clam can cure PM, but with extreme stress on the clam. It is however necessary, as the protozoan will most likely kill the clam in the end.

Archived