ReefCleaners.org

Six's Frag Video

Six

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did it really take that long to load? dude, im sorry! my computer is a lot faster than i thought. :)

mine loaded instantly.

I'm an ol' cheapskate with dial up :)

I have a dumb question! How long can you leave a frag of monti out of water? I just got one and need to glue it but I was scared i would kill it!

Oh and nice vid!

I have a dumb question! How long can you leave a frag of monti out of water? I just got one and need to glue it but I was scared i would kill it!

Oh and nice vid!

For the most part SPS can be left out for a good amount of time.... nothing extreme of course. But if you needed to just glue a frag onto rock or a plug... 3-5 minutes max will not hurt it at all. Most SPS's are actually able to secrete mucous to keep themselves moist when exposed to air. (they do this at low tides in nature)

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, guys! I plan to show the actual fragmentation next, as Fosi suggested. Its a little hard by yourself with the video camera. :)

For the most part SPS can be left out for a good amount of time.... nothing extreme of course. But if you needed to just glue a frag onto rock or a plug... 3-5 minutes max will not hurt it at all. Most SPS's are actually able to secrete mucous to keep themselves moist when exposed to air. (they do this at low tides in nature)

Yeah, i agree. I left that frag out for about 3 mintues. The main thing is don't *dry* dry it when you frag and glue. I just tap the water out on the towel to get a better seal with the glue. I try not to ever touch the top where the flesh is attached to the skeleton. usually all you need is to place it on the glue and gravity will sink it in.

The monti i fragged secreted a lot of mucous. It's kinda cool. :)

Any other suggestions besides being a little more kosher with the language? ;)

I'm assuming that you probably trade corals around with other people quite often and they go through an initial dipping process before going into your tanks. (please correct me if I am mistakened) :)

How about a quick tutorial on how to properly dip/disinfect newly acquired corals w/ lugol's or that seachem reef dip? And the benefits of doing a dip before putting frags into tanks...?

How about a quick tutorial on how to properly dip/disinfect newly acquired corals w/ lugol's or that seachem reef dip? And the benefits of doing a dip before putting frags into tanks...?

Yes, please as I am stupid in this area. I have not heard of reef dip until now. Does it go well with nachos? :P

Sure it does. It also goes well with buffalo wings and bloomin onions. :D

In all seriousness, I would like to see a vid on prepping the mix - at least to dipping newbs like me.

dipping, hmmm..... well i havent bought anything in a while. the tank is *kinda* full (as in i check for fights breaking out from growth).

i can however do the latter of showing some equipement. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Old thread I know, but it deserves a bump for such a nice setup and good vids. Should show more of the complicated fragging, since i am just starting :)

I would give my left leg for your setup!

Ok, both my legs.

thanks guys. ill see what i can do about showing the "chopping" of the coral, although all i did was snap off a peice of the monti. not very exciting. :)

Reefer Addict
all i did was snap off a peice of the monti. not very exciting. :)

Pretty funny. Looks like it doesn't take too much to get some people excited. I bet you'd get some of the guys all hot and bothered if you did a frag demo where a dremmel would be needed.. :lol:

still... fin bananas! lol!

I think a good video would be fragging a larger colony of zoanthids. i want to see other peoples methods. interesting tho, and thank you again six!

six do you ever frag ricordea? Ive got a biggun I want to split up like a pie and i get the whole -slice it up with a razor- thing, but i just feel better watching someone actually do it that knows what theyre doing before I put my big ric under the knife.

and correct me if im wrong, but cant you also cut the stem at a point and have the stem grow out as a new one too?

The Propagator

Pet the tang!

Touch the tang!

Feel the tang!

Love the tang!

:haha:

Your lucky he didnt barb your arse once or twice yet Liz.

Archived