ReefCleaners.org

crocea advice!

SaltyVT

So I have done lots of reading and upgrading(to my tank), and I believe I am ready to take on the responsibility of clams and sps. So any last advice, or heads ups, or experiences that people would like to share, (before saturday,I go an pick up my clam), with their croceas??

Crocea, eh?

Get a clam that is at least 3 inches long

Get a clam that reacts quickly to shadow (run your hand over the tank to block the light)

Get a clam that has a solid footing...buy the rock it is on if necessary

Get a clam that is free of pyr. snails (look at it closely)

Get a clam whose mantle is not over extended

Get a clam whose tissue is free of damage or noticable parasites

Get a clam that shows growth around the edges

Crocea, eh?

Get a clam that is at least 3 inches long

Get a clam that reacts quickly to shadow (run your hand over the tank to block the light)

Get a clam that has a solid footing...buy the rock it is on if necessary

Get a clam that is free of pyr. snails (look at it closely)

Get a clam whose mantle is not over extended

Get a clam whose tissue is free of damage or noticable parasites

Get a clam that shows growth around the edges

check the bysal opening at the bottom, gently use fingers to check for pyramid snails.

check mantle for any signs of bleaching.

make sure your tank is ready for the clam in regards to solid alkalinity and calcium and very strong lighting. croceas are the most light demanding of all tridacna clams.

I have read that they need the most amount of light. What I have read is that they need a minimum of 150w. I have a 8 more like 5 gallon BC, with 70w Mh. I was told by my LFS that this would be enough. I do trust Bruce(owner) he has owns and runs his store with his wife. He has been doing it for many years so I trust his judgement. what do you all think??

I have read that they need the most amount of light. What I have read is that they need a minimum of 150w. I have a 8 more like 5 gallon BC, with 70w Mh. I was told by my LFS that this would be enough. I do trust Bruce(owner) he has owns and runs his store with his wife. He has been doing it for many years so I trust his judgement. what do you all think??

how deep is the tank? what does "i have a 8 more like 5 gallon BC" mean?

things you should know:

70 watt bulbs are very underdeveloped and highly inefficient. 2 70 watt bulbs does not equal to 140 watts of a 150 watt bulb if that makes sense.

5 gallons is highly not recommended for any clam.

It's a 8 gallon bio cube, b ut fits more like 5 gallons of wawa! :) I plan on having a nano sps clam tank, obviously thing are going to out grow quickly, and everyone says you can't keep sps and clams in nanos, but where would we be with our progression?? I live close to a LFS and would be able to return anything in distress!! I want to prove those wrong who think sps and clams aren't for nanos! :D 70w is the best fit for my 8, its what I have to work with, 150 would fry the tank. I plan on starting small and working up. Hopefully the 70w, still new, will have a larger variety of bulbs as the 150 do, so then this will be a thing of the past!!!! :ninja:

Hi. I have a 4 inch crocea clam (bought it at 2 inches) in an Aquapod 12g with 70w metal halides and it is doing great! Just make sure to put her on a spot were she gets direct light. Check your calcium levels (my tank runs 400-430). She should get low to moderate water flow (they don't like hi water flow). Also make sure to use phytoplankton 2-3 times a week.

Cant say enough about P Snails...I would look close with some 2x reading glasses so you can see the little devils better. I would highly recommend lightly scrubbing it with a soft bristle tooth brush being careful not to irritate the Bysal area to remove any potential egg masses from P Snails.

I agree on the 3 inch recommendation. They can general gain enough food through Photsynthisis to not require massive feeding which will put your water quality down the toliet.

Your biggest challange will be keeping the Alk, Calcium and SG at the correct levels and stable. Its doable but sometimes you got to work at it and stay on top of it.

Oh did I mention check for P Snails? Seriously getting them is multiples of sadness...trust me on this one.

good luck, with 8 gallons you will have to be very diligent with checking your calcium and alkalinity. i have 5 clams and countless sps in my 24 gallon and i'm having a hard time, but it can be done ^^

seeing as though crocea like to attach themselves to rock, I was think in a week or so, once he's gotten use to my lighting and the tank, of moving him to were the trumpet coral are in the upper right, the highest in the tank. it would be like 7 inches higher from where it is now. My ca, was a little low but on the incline. My alk was perfect. I use a two part supplement that has been keeping my ca at 440 and my alk around 10, a little high so I have been restricting the alk doses to a bit less to keep it a tad lower. Any know of some good supps I cout use after these bottle run out?? :D

I've seen Croceas kept in a one gallon before, so in an 8 gallon it's entirely possible.

Does not mean Croceas in a one gallon is possible. It is, but you will have to put a laborous amount of effort everyday. I hope you don't get aquarium advice from that tank owner.

after your bottles run out look in to making randy's homemade 2 part recipe using dowflake, baking soda, and epsom salt. start measuring and testing for magnesium as well.

Archived