Cultivated Reef

Refugium vs Skimmer

ZeRo 91

My return pump is in the sump. Sorry these pics don't have the skimmer in them.

Check my 20H thread for updated pics with skimmer.

100_5758.lables.jpg

100_6310.p.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps

What if your refugium lights stay on 24 hrs? Is that bad......

I just built a small fuge out of chamber 1 on my bc29. Some lr rubble, some chaeto, and a pico light. I run it 24 hrs tho....should I switch to reverse cycle?

What if your refugium lights stay on 24 hrs? Is that bad... should I switch to reverse cycle?

Probably doesn't matter too much.

Reverse photoperiods are usually touted for their ability to moderate the diurnal pH swings that our tanks experience. However, if you run a skimmer, chances are good that it helps reduce your pH swing so a reverse photoperiod isn't going to do much.

On the other hand, theory dictates that if you run your refugium lighting 24 hours (assuming you have a tolerant macroalage), you give an advantage to your fuge macro over the algae in the display.

If you are trying to minimize algae blooms in the display, a 24h photoperiod should theoretically do more for you.

Use both a skimmer and a refugium for best results, IME.

There is no conflict between the two techniques, they complement each other nicely.

If you must choose, go with the skimmer, especially if you plan on keeping any sensitive corals such as certain SPS. Berlin setups w/o refugia have proven themselves to be more than capable of sustaining sensitive corals, whereas tanks equipped with refugia and no skimmer tend to be trickier to maintain and less forgiving, as regards sensitive species.

Either will do just fine for soft corals.

for a mini in-tank 'fuge I ust used a breeder box.

since it had holes on the bottom and I wanted a little sand in there, I siliconed the bottom cover in and plugged the holes. Then I drilled a mess of holes into the sides of the box. only bad thing is the metal clips that attach to the side of the tank. Well, that and its inside the tank. But its mostly a temp thing. I wanted something so that I could benefit from a 'fuge now, until I figure out if I want to go with a HOB 'fuge or go with a sump. So far its working great. a little sand, some base rock rubble (thats LR now) and some algae.

I'm also running a cheapass skimmer (Rio). its not the greatest but does wet skim until I forget to top of the tank water and it drops too low for skimmer work.

• 2 weeks later...

OK SO WAIT A MINUTE

just ordered my first tank, 24 gallon aquapod with 150 w MH lighting

Do I want a Aquara Nano Skimmer or a Aquafuge?

someone help me here

uhhh the upgrades uhhhh

i got a koralia 1 so far, thinking maxijet 1200 and stealth 100 watt heater

what else ? I cant take it hahaha

comments please message me and HELP THIS NEWBIE

travisurfer
Use both a skimmer and a refugium for best results, IME.

There is no conflict between the two techniques, they complement each other nicely.

If you must choose, go with the skimmer, especially if you plan on keeping any sensitive corals such as certain SPS. Berlin setups w/o refugia have proven themselves to be more than capable of sustaining sensitive corals, whereas tanks equipped with refugia and no skimmer tend to be trickier to maintain and less forgiving, as regards sensitive species.

Either will do just fine for soft corals.

I agree although I would generally rather have a refugium soley do to the fact that it does better against combatting algae. Skimmers do a whole world of other stuff which is always nice to have a "clean" tank. I currently run both.

Archived