ReefCleaners.org

Refugium vs Skimmer

ZeRo 91

An airstone has a minimal impact due to circulation. A pump brings fresh water in constantly.

Well the airstones were placed directly in front of the inlets for the fresh water supply to the tank so there was no lack of circulation.

I feel the DO debate is still unresolved.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DO level on a tank with a fuge, DO on a tank w a skimmer would do it for me. I spose if the fuge is crappily lit, with just a trickle of flow you wont see much of an impact in the main display. I think that 20 watts or so is all that the chaeto should need.

Heres why I use fuges: I have small tanks, Fuges are cheap (10-$30), I have all softies and LPS, which often times enjoy having some nutrients in the water.

Heres why I use fuges: I have small tanks, Fuges are cheap (10-$30), I have all softies and LPS, which often times enjoy having some nutrients in the water.

Where do you get your refugiums for that price? I always see them on the internet for loads more and even on ebay they run $50.00 and up.

And also seems like there is some discrepancy on wether or not to limit the flow through the refugium or to just let it cycle through a bunch of times at a fast rate.....So just a little confused about that so if any one of you could clear that up that would be great.

And also seems like there is some discrepancy on wether or not to limit the flow through the refugium or to just let it cycle through a bunch of times at a fast rate...

If you are talking about a macroalgae refugium then:

- nutrient export = faster rate

- pod cultivation = slower rate

Another thing with fast flow rates is you cannot use sand in it because it would get everywhere, same with that refugi mud stuff. You could use rubble just fine tho.

As far as cheap fuges, either a DIY hob aquaclear (if you get the 110 that is like 40 bucks, but it would add like 2 gallons to your tank volume) I got my ac 50 and had plenty of room for my chaeto and that was like 20 bucks. Then you just have to figure out a light for it. Walmart sells those screw in Pc bulbs in 6500k for about $6 for 25 watts, all you need is a lamp to throw it in and figure out a way to mount it on the ac.

My cheapest fuge and probably favorite is the soap dish. Its in my wee little 5 gal, cost me like 5 bucks for the dish (cheato was an initial investment of $5 @ LFS as well) Its in tank so theres no need to worry about lighting, just gotta pump water through it some how. Ive seen ones 2x the size of mine for sale at lowes btw. Ive also seen some little soap dish suction cup jobs that would make great frag racks. heres a pic of my soap dish fugepost-19462-1165806446_thumb.jpg

post-19462-1165806538_thumb.jpg

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

heres my old 75g macro system.

IMG_1479.jpg

and heres the skimate i used to take out of the aquarium.

IMG_9452.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

thats a 100watt light bulb behind the bowl (and the light doesnt pass through the skimate)

IMG_7592.jpg

i'd say the skimmer vs ref debate is resloved. any questions?

Maybe we could talk some marine biology students into a science experiment? :P

Two small tanks, LR + LS, with no water changes, one with a skimmer...the other with a fuge. Dose with same amount of phyto and flake food every other day...first one to get funk-tified loses...(and keep a log of PH every other day, maybe the loser can have some praise :P. Cost could be a factor too.)

So who has the unsuspecting nephew or niece??? (scratches chin)

Or to factor out costs you could just spend equivalent amounts on the fuge as the skimmer: one nice fuge youd have there ( I see a nice 6500k halide over a 10 gal fuge)

Or to factor out costs you could just spend equivalent amounts on the fuge as the skimmer: one nice fuge youd have there ( I see a nice 6500k halide over a 10 gal fuge)

True True. They obviously both do great things for our tanks, but it would be really interesting to see how this "race" turned out. Same water, same set up etc...the biggest variable would be the LR I suppose.

Since skimmers and refugia do different things, you are trying to compare apples to oranges. I guess I am still unsure of what competition you guys are really looking to test...

EDIT: Icy, I got your point, even if some missed it. ;)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Since skimmers and refugia do different things, you are trying to compare apples to oranges. I guess I am still unsure of what competition you guys are really looking to test...

clear as mud, right? :P

if that nastey skimate form basicly a 75g fuge doesn't convince ya, i dont know what else will. :)

I think at one point it was which one perpetuated more DO? Dunno where we are now. I think the skimmer wins it in the "gross" department though.

For Cleanest water I would agree the skimmer wins it.

I think what would be cool to see tested are DO levels in identical tank setups with fuge vs skimmer. It would also be cool to see which tank Softies grow better in and which tank SPS grow better in. And which tank LPS would grow better in, because I suspect some corals prefer sterile tanks, while others prefer a few more nutrients.

This could be pretty easy to do by putting a piece of glass in the middle of like a 20l with fuge on one side, skimmer on the other. Youd need equal power heads and equivalent heaters on both sides, but they could share a light on the display. Anybody thinking of setting up a 20L prop tank??

• 4 weeks later...

My cheapest fuge and probably favorite is the soap dish. Its in my wee little 5 gal, cost me like 5 bucks for the dish (cheato was an initial investment of $5 @ LFS as well) Its in tank so theres no need to worry about lighting, just gotta pump water through it some how. Ive seen ones 2x the size of mine for sale at lowes btw. Ive also seen some little soap dish suction cup jobs that would make great frag racks. heres a pic of my soap dish fugepost-19462-1165806446_thumb.jpg

post-19462-1165806538_thumb.jpg

If a soap dish is big enough for a refugium for a 5g, then does it stand to reason that I could use the Whisper Power 10 filter for my Eclipse 6g as a HOB refugium?

I would just remove the media and replace it with chaeto?

This filter has an adjustable flow with a max rate of 90GPH. Is that fast enough?

• 3 weeks later...
If a soap dish is big enough for a refugium for a 5g, then does it stand to reason that I could use the Whisper Power 10 filter for my Eclipse 6g as a HOB refugium?

I would just remove the media and replace it with chaeto?

This filter has an adjustable flow with a max rate of 90GPH. Is that fast enough?

You might wana mod it to slow it down a bit.

im too loazy to read every Post or even the 1st page, sorry bout that,

but what i can say is i had a CPR medium and a superskimmer 65 on my 20 gallon high untill i upgraded to a 29, worked really good

• 1 year later...
Interesting thread. I have both on my 33g cube and I wouldn't think of running a reef type setup without either :)

+1

Interesting thread. I have both on my 33g cube and I wouldn't think of running a reef type setup without either :)

Really neat thread btw. Im accualy debating on a fuge or skimmer right now. I wish i could have both but im working with limited space here. I got a 46 gallon bowfront and the biggest sump i can fit under it is a 15 gallon high 20X10X18 and i dought its enough space for both. I could put a skimmer down in the sump and use a hob fuge that i got. Any recomendations?

Really neat thread btw

And old as well.

... the biggest sump i can fit under it is a 15 gallon high 20X10X18 and i dought its enough space for both.

I have a 10g sump in my current system and I have both a skimmer and a refugium, though not in the ideal arrangement.

And old as well.

I just happen to find it a couple of minutes ago haha

I have a 10g sump in my current system and I have both a skimmer and a refugium, though not in the ideal arrangement.

How did you arange it? Do you use a dry return pump?

Archived