Top Shelf Aquatics

Common supermarket clams

Xavier

This may seem a bit odd, but I've been thinking about tossing a live common clam from the supermarket into a isolated tank for observation (actually, I'd go down to the ocean and get it from the fish markets by the ocean). I'm sure someone has tried this... but before I go ahead with this, I was curious what information people may already have on these guys... they're not pretty, but definitely good filter feeders... and heck, when I'm done, I can always eat 'em :)

i think most supermarket clams are cold water variety (i.e. faster growing). most of the stuff around me are north atlantic stuff so i could just be biased in my exp tho.

the tridacnas are edible (supposedly :x ).

I have kept Mane littlenecks in my FOWLR . They burry themselves in substrate, but lived fer a while. Upon death, my triggers made quick work of them.

I wouldn't want to eat them after they have been in my reef tank.

Of course not.. I wouldn't eat anything that came outta my tank..

Do you know what caused their death Dave? I've been trying to find the scientific names for some of these clams to do some environmental research on them.. little luck though.. everything pulls up restaurants or clam-digging expeditions...

Bleeding Blue

I keep Saxidomus giganteus, but I keep them in a cold water system. However, the best filter feeders in that system are Crassostrea gigas .

Interesting.. where did you find Crassostrea and Saxidomus? Pick up some oysters at the grocery store, or did you actually have an LFS selling them? (Or dive for them yourself!)

Bleeding Blue

I cheat. Due to the nature of my job, I have a scientific collecting permit, and thus collected them myself. I was actually using them for work, and just noticed dreamed about them as sump dwellers in my reef.

one of those ones you can buy on the net? heh heh..

where abouts do you live?

You were saying that those clams were more cold water.. yet you had them in a sump for a reef tank?.. what kinda setup and livestock did you have?

Bleeding Blue

I live in california. The collecting permit is through a university. And last of all, I did not have cold water clams or oysters in a reef sump. I kept them in chilled tanks and dreamed about them using their filtering powers for the forces of good in my reef sump. Sorry for the confusion.

Archived