Pod Your Reef

Yellow Clown Goby vs Crocea

winterparkmg

My YCG (Skeeter) perches on my Candy Cane, an inch away from my Crocea all day. Every five-ten minutes, (s)he takes a "field trip" over to the clam, perches in the fold of its mantle, eyeballs the little "nubs" in the mantle, nips at it, and swims back to the Candy Cane. Sometimes Skeeter will perch over on my pinky stylophora, but the nipping is his favorite activity. Anyone know about this? Is it going to negatively affect my clam long-term? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I'm going to try feeding Skeeter more, but I already feed a little more than I think I should for a 20H with no sump.

Thanks!

~Wm

DementedLullaby

Clown gobies like to nip sometimes. If it's been happening for awhile it will probably continue to happen.

Think about seperating the clown goby and the clam. I'd rather get rid of a 10-20 dollar fish than kill an expensive clam personally.

Hmmmmmm, mine likes to sit on my zoanthids, but thats about it. Maybe it is a case by case basis as with many other fish. I definitely think that they shouldn't be labeled as NOT reef safe as a whole species.

Well, therein lies the problem. I mean, I can see some discoloration on the clam's mantle, but who knows if the irregularities are scars, or simply part of the animal's color...? I mean, the things aren't exactly monochromatic. I watched Skeeter as (s)he nipped a part of the clam, and the more commonly bitten spots look it (i.e. more gray than blue). But these "spots" are as small as the dendrite-like nubs on the mantle, so honestly I have no idea whether they are indicative of permanent damage or not. The clam continues to extend the mantle as long as the YCG is neither perching nor nipping on it, so I suppose that is a good thing? I just don't want my prize clam that is (successfully) surviving PC lighting in a small tank to be bested by a cute little fishy. And I don't want to give Skeeter a grass-nap, for sure. :( Help?!?!?!

(and I really like that quote. I laughed my a$$ off when I read that thread the first time)

Archived