Pod Your Reef

Caesar777's "REEFING SUX III" Bowfront

Caesar777

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I've had the pipefish for probably five months now, and he's doing well. The goby I've had for much longer, and he kind of sucks, as cool as he looks. Just hides too much! They scoot along the bottom, and even when being chased rarely come even a mm above the seafloor. Kind of dumb. It's a treat when I spot him, the crazy thing. Also, keep in mind that the shipping size of the Griessingeri gobies is about 1/4-1/2"...TINY. Though they do grow fast, and are hardy.

answer to your pistol shrimp: interceptor

though mine survived my treatment...everytime my hand is in the tank his claws are on me. i swear i think he killed my yasha....

Yeah, that pipefish OWNS. Eats cyclopeeze, though I rarely feed the tank. Plenty of pods, considering that he's the only pod-picker. He really glitters! Usually hides during the day, cruising around the back and inner workings of the rockwork, and is out and about in the morning and afternoon before the lights come on, and instantly when the lights go out or I do a water change, he's out on the prowl. Really darling, if I come up to the tank and bring my face in close to get a better look at him, he zips closer to me, moving around his big, googly eyes individually, inspecting me. VERY cute. He's relatively unafraid, unless I get into the tank--then he's out, doesn't want to get bumped by anything (it's happened--he'd get too curious and get bonked in the head by a frag or rock or my hand, silly thing). Really like him. Deeper, more brilliant colors than on the regular Doryrhamphus excisus, and the main difference is that glitter. I'd love to find him a mate... A customer of ours has a pair of D. excisus that regularly mate...with eggs! I'd love that.

Ohh, I got some alien eyes from my buddy! They're so cool. People-eater-type Palythoa that are sky-blue with a green spot in the center and a green skirt. NOT gray, these are blue! So pretty. Expensive for what I normally pay for zoo's, but so adorable. Will take pics when they're fully open. My pom-pom crab really likes them, and the mini-Eagle-eyes I brought home.

NEW LIGHTING SOON!

Isn't this always how it happens?! I need a new bulb for my tank, and decided that I should just pony up for a good-quality bulb to replace the x-brand cheapo in it now. (It's been a year, anyway.) Was looking at prices of bulbs, and figured I ought to get a 250 for the slight increase in price... So now I'm spending three times as much as I had originally planned to get a bulb and new ballast, but I'm glad! It's an Icecap, good stuff. New bulb comes in this week.

Trying the Knop hang-on skimmer. We'll see. That ####### venturi Rio is friggin' LOUD!

And people that come to my work think the Remora is loud!--the Knop is 4x louder! Getting used to it, though. Will switch out the Rio with a Maxijet, to see if that helps. Didn't remember those venturi-types being so gaddanged loud. Nice black acrylic pre-skimmer box on it--hides the pumpiness, and blends well with the spray-painted black background--so I'll give it a try. Some microbubbles, too, which sucks. Often does that for the first few days--it's never been used.

Man, I came home Monday after being gone all weekend, and coralline just BLOOMED while I was out! Didn't do anything differently, and I had coralline going slowly but steadily (fairly good growth, honestly--mostly on the rocks, not the glass, as it now is). Very cool. Too back-hurty to scrape.

MY BACK REALLY HURTS! :(

Please share more info on the pipefish. I'd like to set up a pipefish tank in the future and that one looks bad@ss. Price, availability, feeding, etc.

thanks and dope looking tank.

I have a PFO pendant, getting an Icecap ballast for it. (Current ballast is a 150w BlueLine.)

Gah, as I was rewiring the ballast, I somehow yanked the plugged-in and ON T5 fixture INTO the tank!!! Sizzled and flickered as I yanked it from the water, then I realized that I could electrocute myself and my animals, and dropped it (carefully, as not to shatter it all over the carpet), THEN unplugged it. Tip: Do all that the other way around. UNPLUG FIRST! THEN remove from tank. BUt I never do it that way--I live large! ;) Seriously, ugh, I'm lucky I didn't get shocked, and that my animals seem fine (the clowns and blenny are fine, anyway--maybe I killed the pistols; nah, life's never that sweet to me, hehe). Damned pendant wouldn't fit a 250, duh. Oh well. I'm getting everything new, apparently--new Ushio 20,000K bulb, nwe 250-watt IceCap ballast (oh, OLD dead-pump cord wired to it), and a new probably BlueLine pendant or something. We'll see. I'd get an all-in-one pendant, with the ballast built-in, but I don't like that. The idea of having it all together, with the heat and what not, seems like a poor idea. That, and it's so heavy. (I do have two swag hooks drilled into studs in the ceiling, but still.) But it's convenient, and may even end costing less. But I want a quality ballast and quality bulb, and a 20,000K bulb at that (it's where it's at, really), and most don't come with all those factors together. D'OH! at my incessant need to upgrade things. :rolleyes:

Ahh, you haven't lived until you've had metal halide. Plus, HQI ROCKS, haha.

I got another baby blue tang. This one is TINY! Smaller than a freaking dime. Already buddies with the clowns and midas blenny, swimming around the front with them. He doesn't realize that they're begging for food; he "runs away" when I approach the tank, but I'll win him over. Nice, fat belly, and no murderous crabs this time. I just realized today: my tank is completely CRAB-FREE!

Tang in my reef... The clowns and blenny are too quick--I tried to get them all in the shot!

2czxcep.jpg

Tang circled, for reference. :lol:

2nuj7g1.jpg

Tang in my reef... The clowns and blenny are too quick--I tried to get them all in the shot!

2czxcep.jpg

Tang circled, for reference. :lol:

2nuj7g1.jpg

nice blastos, how long have you had them?

have you had any blastos die for no reason?

u got a cute little tang there - no crabs at all? I'm not a huge fan, but always like to have at least one - they're good for those hard to reach spots, n'est-ce pas?

I hate crabs. Yes, you would think that they would be good for reaching little nooks and crannies, but consider my experience with them. If I were to have hermits, I'd only do scarlets, as I did for awhile until they really started pi$$ing off the blastos and other large-food-eating corals. Bluelegs are just too hyper, and are complete jerks that I've observed killing snails for apparently no reason other than wanting to eat them or complete aggression. I also had a bad experience with an emerald crab: it ate my other baby blue tang. See page 2 or 3, can't remember which. I think 3. So I ripped him out of there. I've also had a couple of hitchhiker crabs in my tank, all of which I've seen eating zoanthids and palys, so again they're ousted. Oh, and I have Nassarius vibex snails, which are excellent detritivores.

I have seen blastos die for no reason--that one normally gets really puffy, but you can see that the head on the farthest right is very angry and gaping. Not sure why, but it'll probably die. I've seen blastos do better in less-skimmed, lower-light (PC) tanks, but then again, those tanks are shorter-lived, so it's moot. I've had a few blastos die unexpectedly, and seemingly for no reason. I dunno.

Oh, yeah, huge thing at the top right is the Duncanopsammia! HUGE!

Like my red goni? I LOVE it. :wub: It's started developing neon blue tips!

Oh, give me a break. I went to sleep at midnight and woke up at 3AM. Yeah, that makes sense.... <_<

Loud as ######. But it works alright enough on this little lowly-stocked nano.

Archived