ReefCleaners.org

16 gallon bow reef wall biotype - dialup beware

masterswimmer

masterswimmer

Well gang, the time has finally come. I'm going to get this tank up and running and show pix to prove it. It will be a work in progress. Feel free to comment, and offer suggestions.

Here it is in its historical glory:

bowtank1.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to start. Starboard will be going down first:

tankbottombeforestarboard2.jpg

It is a bow front so the starboard had to be cut accordingly:

starboard3.jpg

starboardtrimmedforbow4.jpg

And in the tank:

Starboardinbottom5.jpg

Russ

Ready for some mechanicals. The pump on the right is my SEIO and the pump on the left is the Coralife Super Skimmer 65 pump, and left of the skimmer is the Stealth 50w heater:

6skimmerpumpseioheaterfromsideview.jpg

Close up of my modded SEIO mounting 'bracket' ....my rare earth magnets:

3seiomodwithsiliconedmagnets.jpg

Here's the skimmer, the SEIO and the Coralife MH HQI tank mount w/ 150w 20K DE bulb (I also bought the Pheonix 14K, just in case):

8lightskimmerseiounderMH.jpg

Russ

As you know I modded the CSS 65 also. Here's a shot of the mod at a distance and up clsoe:

4JGballvalveinskimmer.jpg

5JGballvalveinskimmercloseup.jpg

Russ

By now you're all probably saying what's this old man got up his sleeve. Where is he gonna fit a sheer rock wall in that tank, it's tiny!

Here's a few shots of the framework starting. First pic is just a shot of the raw material I used to begin the foundation, basic light diffuser from HD:

1uncutlightdiffuser.jpg

Here's a front shot of the light diffuser getting started, incomplete, front view:

unfinisheddiffuserfrontwithtankligh.jpg

Unfinished diffuser from the side. Notice the discharge of the SEIO is open in front (cut out grids):

unfinisheddiffuserfromsidewithtankl.jpg

Russ

Here's the diffuser (framework) completed. Front view with tank lights only on:

finisheddiffuserfrontwithtanklights.jpg

Same angle with flash:

finisheddiffuserfromfrontwithflash.jpg

Side view:

finisheddiffuserfromside.jpg

So now can you see the reef wall developing? Come on, I know someone here has to have an imagination.

Russ

The moment of truth. Removing all the equipment and getting ready to rock and roll:

Finishedandreadyforrock.jpg

Getting closer, lights are off, skimmer is removed, SEIO is missing in action:

Preppedandreadytostartrocking.jpg

Russ

Getting ready. Donna would kill me without preparation. Tarp, towels (lots of them), LR with ph & heater, dremel, cable ties and my bad back .

TarpbucketwithLRdremelcabletiesblan.jpg

The puzzle pieces all laid out:

rockstillspreadoutonfloor.jpg

Couldn't wait till I was done, had to test it to see if it was coming along as expected. I wasn't overly pleased with what I saw:

unfinishedintankfrontview.jpg

Same unfinished, angled shot:

unfinishedtestintank.jpg

This is taking time mind you. My LR is sitting out for hours now. I'm not even sure if I have LR anymore or pretty base rock.

Russ

The wall just about complete, but not in tank. I'm crossing my fingers and saying some prayers that this puppy will fit.

unfinishedwalloutsideoftank.jpg

Here's the reef wall finished, with flash on (I don't like the tank pic with flash) = yuck

Finishedwallfrontwithflash.jpg

Reef wall with 20K MH:

Finishedwallfrontwithtanklights-nic.jpg

Side shot of reef wall. Bow tanks take pix from the side with double images. Examine the pic and you'll see what I mean:

Finishedwallsideview-dblimage.jpg

Starting to look a bit better to me now. It was a rough 7 - 8 hours doing it. My back wasn't cooperating and then to have the intermittent pix look the way they did, I was tempted to throw in the towel (all of them).

Russ

Well here it is, finally!!!!! You wanted water:

ReefwalluplightsskimmerPHon.jpg

And after 5 minutes, my Coralife Super Skimmer 65 was doing its job:

skimmerpullingskimmateafter5minutes.jpg

Now to wait for the minor cycle. The majority of these rocks were curing for 6 - 8 weeks. There was another 7 or 8 lbs I just got that was uncured. So I know I'll have a minor cycle. Plus what died from being out of the water for 7 or 8 hours today has to cure now too.

Hopefully there is still some life in there. I'll be testing and anxious to start loading it up.

BTW, I am planning on a shallow sand bed, only about 2" or so. Just for looks.

Well there you have it folks. A long time in coming.

Russ feeling very much like the old man tonight!

Take care all, see you about noon tomorrow, when I roll out of bed.

Thanks for reading and looking at my monstrosity.

Russ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterswimmer

pet_doc, thank you. I'm too anal about planning. Just took way too long to think out. Very glad the 'foundation' is done. I am mostly a freestyler, but in school they also had me doing the IM.

Salt, thanks. I'm planning on a lot of SPS, that's why I went with the MH. I'm also hoping I can get a nice photosynthetic gorgonian in there.

Russ

Rene, thank you. I hand picked every single piece of rubble in there. Was no picnic. It took me about 3 months with numerous LFS visits to finally say, lets start. And I really didn't know exactly how much I'd need. When I was done, I had two baseball size pieces of rubble left. I thought I was going to run out as I was doing it. That wouldn't have been a good thing, because I needed to get it in water and it wouldn't have been an easy thing to attach while in the tank.

Good luck with yours,

Russ

Make sure you link me to your thread when you do it.

masterswimmer
How did u attach the rock? This is very interesting idea and i think i mite try it on my next tank! This tank is great!

Thank you. I actually used a dremel and a 1/8" bit and drilled about 65% of the rock and used cable ties (some call them zip ties) to attach them to the light diffuser. The other 35% of the rock as eveyone is aware, had nooks and crannies and holes in them already. Just had to find the right ones for the right places. Heck of a puzzle!! lol

Sebea

Nice, very cool to see something different!

Thank you. Different was exactly what I was looking for.

Russ

This is a very spiffy method to hide equipment. Good job, and keep us all updated! Cool tank thus far!

OK, my 2 cents ;)

Monti caps! All on the back wall!

Please think about adding sand...this tank would look so good with a thin layer for that "natural" look. LPS garden on the bottom... :)

Fantastic Job. I am astonished at how great your tank already looks and you have just gotten started. Great job and keep us posted. I am extremely interested to see this progress.

masterswimmer
This is a very spiffy method to hide equipment. Good job, and keep us all updated! Cool tank thus far!

OK, my 2 cents ;)

Monti caps! All on the back wall!

Please think about adding sand...this tank would look so good with a thin layer for that "natural" look. LPS garden on the bottom... :)

Thank you for the kind words and the tips. Sand is a definite. Only about 2" though, just a SSB. Was even thinking of going with the black oolitic. Just a thought at the moment.

Monti caps are a definite when I start stocking. It will be an SPS dominated tank.

Pili, Zapatista, avbryce1, Whitten thank you all for your compliments. Means a lot to me.

Sebea Posted

Agreed, some monti caps on the back wall would be wicked! A couple daneas encrusting on the rock would be excellent also.

Thank you. Awesome idea with the daneas! I like that. Look for it. When it happens, remember it was your recommendation. :D

InuYasha Posted

Looking good, a heads up though, don't use the 14k bulb, coralife bulbs have built in UV shields, that curved piece of glass doesn't.

Thank you too. FIY, any glass is a UV shield. That curved piece of glass in the fixture is the UV shield for any bulb used.

I will update with pix and written updates as I move forward. Thanks again everyone.

Russ

Looking good! Very cool idea...makes me want to go the same thing with my Nanocube to give more open space!

One question...with the light diffuser...how does it stay up against the back wall?

I would be interested in speaking to you more...each time I look at the pic I want to do the same to my 12g.

masterswimmer
Looking good! Very cool idea...makes me want to go the same thing with my Nanocube to give more open space!

One question...with the light diffuser...how does it stay up against the back wall?

I would be interested in speaking to you more...each time I look at the pic I want to do the same to my 12g.

Thank you Nuhtty. The look I was going for was twofold. First I wanted the reef wall look. Secondly was the open space.

The light diffuser is not quite self supporting, but not far from it either. The right hand side where I've got the SEIO, skimmer return and heater have a 90 deg. corner there. So the light diffuser is somewhat self supporting that way. Secondly, I've got cable tie mounting bases adhered to the back glass. Here's a picture of the mounting base (in case you're unfamiliar with it).

The cable tie just slips through that, and then I tightened it around the light diffuser. Was a tight fit for my fat hands, but it worked eventually. :D

Hope this helped. And thanks for the kind words,

Russ

post-15292-1134403074.jpg

masterswimmer
wow i like that,makes me think i really should have cable tied mine,but il learn when it all ends up in a heap of rocks and coral lol.

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers for you. Would hate to hear that happen to anyone. Good luck.

Russ

masterswimmer
Very impressive. Great job. Cannot wait to see the corals in it.

Thank you very much. Believe me, I can't wait either :D . Just don't want to rush it. I just put it together this past Friday. I've got a minor cycle going, but nothing that'll last too long.

Travis, reffer9391 I appreciate your compliments and enthusiasm a lot. I will definitely be updating as I proceed. Hoping to get some coral into this weekend.

Russ

Archived