Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T. Gigas hosting false perc

sanchez

God that is a disaster waiting to happen. If that clam ever closes on the clown, I bet it never opens again until the clown is dead. I assume a fish thrashing around inside the clam would keep it shut....scary.

God that is a disaster waiting to happen. If that clam ever closes on the clown, I bet it never opens again until the clown is dead. I assume a fish thrashing around inside the clam would keep it shut....scary.

t gigas close really slowly and most cant even close all the way. it would be really neat to see what happens at night; I wonder if the clown sleeps inside of it

cool vid! thanks for sharing

• 3 months later...

I've seen several videos of clams hosting clowns, I suppose they could close on it but they're not known to be fish killers. Now if it was an elephant ear mushroom it would be a different story.

• 1 month later...
I've seen several videos of clams hosting clowns, I suppose they could close on it but they're not known to be fish killers. Now if it was an elephant ear mushroom it would be a different story.

i have a pair of clowns that have taken up host in a gigas, and the smaller male is almost always deep inside the clam. Been that way for years, no problems. I will try to catch a pic.

I am still not convince elephant ear musrooms can kill fish - i just dont see how. kat says so, so I it must be true, but I think I want to open a debate!!!

el fabuloso
I am still not convince elephant ear musrooms can kill fish - i just dont see how. kat says so, so I it must be true, but I think I want to open a debate!!!

Fish used to mysteriously disappear in my tank and I didn't know why until I saw it happen to two different clownfish and my blue spotted jawfish.

First was my black ocellaris who was hosting the elephant ear at the time. The mushroom slowly cupped itself until it trapped the clown inside. I witnessed the whole thing but the clown was vicious and used to bite me all the time so I secretly enjoyed it. The next morning the elephant ear barfed up the digested fish.

Then I had a tomato clown that hosted the elephant ear for a long time. I figured her bigger size would prevent her from being eaten by the mushroom. She ditched the elephant ear once I got her a nice RBTA to host but frequently visiting the mushroom every now and then. One day the RBTA was in a foul mood and shriveled up into nothing so the clown was forced to go back to the elephant ear. Four hours later I had a big fat mushroom in my tank and no clown. At the base of the mushroom was a big dark lump with a white strip. Yep, it was the tomato clown.

The last straw was my blue spotted jawfish. Some hermits had knocked the rock that the elephant ear was on causing it to fall to the bottom of the tank facing my BSJF's burrow. When I got home later in the evening I had a big fat blue spotted mushroom on the sand bed. It was at that point that I decided to get rid of my elephant ear.

And those were just the times that I actually noticed and observed. I'm fairly positive that the elephant ear was responsible for the disappearance of the many gobies, damsels and cardinals I had over time.

Are you spoiling for a fight Zeph. Alright. I'm bringing in the cavalry.

Im surprised you even understood the post with all my stupid spelling errors. I must have been sleep typing again. Yes I would like to debate you on the subject. Lets see some proof. Im calling you out girl. I just dont see how it could eat a fish!!! They move too slow..if at all!!! :P

Fish used to mysteriously disappear in my tank and I didn't know why until I saw it happen to two different clownfish and my blue spotted jawfish.

First was my black ocellaris who was hosting the elephant ear at the time. The mushroom slowly cupped itself until it trapped the clown inside. I witnessed the whole thing but the clown was vicious and used to bite me all the time so I secretly enjoyed it. The next morning the elephant ear barfed up the digested fish.

Then I had a tomato clown that hosted the elephant ear for a long time. I figured her bigger size would prevent her from being eaten by the mushroom. She ditched the elephant ear once I got her a nice RBTA to host but frequently visiting the mushroom every now and then. One day the RBTA was in a foul mood and shriveled up into nothing so the clown was forced to go back to the elephant ear. Four hours later I had a big fat mushroom in my tank and no clown. At the base of the mushroom was a big dark lump with a white strip. Yep, it was the tomato clown.

The last straw was my blue spotted jawfish. Some hermits had knocked the rock that the elephant ear was on causing it to fall to the bottom of the tank facing my BSJF's burrow. When I got home later in the evening I had a big fat blue spotted mushroom on the sand bed. It was at that point that I decided to get rid of my elephant ear.

And those were just the times that I actually noticed and observed. I'm fairly positive that the elephant ear was responsible for the disappearance of the many gobies, damsels and cardinals I had over time.

Wow!! I had an elephant ear hosting clowns for years, never had a problem. I would think I healthy fish would easily escape if a mushroom tried to close up on it. ITs not like a venus fly trap where it clamps down fast. Hmmmph

t gigas close really slowly and most cant even close all the way. it would be really neat to see what happens at night; I wonder if the clown sleeps inside of it

cool vid! thanks for sharing

i will try to take a video..I am pretty sure my male sleeps inside the gigas..He is almost always in there.

This is EXACTLY how it went down with my black ocellaris.

Wow! Live and learn. Now Kat gets to use my favorite 3 words - "TOLD YA SO!"

el fabuloso

The thing with them is that they're not active predators they're opportunistic feeders. Like you said, they're slow so you would never think that they could ever catch a fish in a million years. And when it finally happens you just chalk it to up as a freak accident.

:slap:

Thank you El Fab for recounting your horrible mushroom adventures. Kat -1, Zeph - 0

Im going to spank you tomorrow :slap:

The thing with them is that they're not active predators they're opportunistic feeders. Like you said, they're slow so you would never think that they could ever catch a fish in a million years. And when it finally happens you just chalk it to up as a freak accident.

i once had a 5 inch angler swallow a 7 inch reagal angel. I kept looking for it on the floor. I knew there was a risk, but looking at them i thought...no wayyyy.

Archived