Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DaveG99's 13gal glass box of colored sticks

Daveg99

Most current tank shot...........

ca2bda04.jpg

I have been out of the reefing game for quite some time. I think its been 2-3 years. Some may remember me some may not. I still have a shallow rimless ~60 gallon DSA tank sitting in my garage waiting to be filled with water but that wont happen for at least another year. Im still in an apartment and wont set it up until I get a house. So I decided to set up a small nano. I figure my 2.5 year old would enjoy a little tank. She really enjoys aquariums. Plus I miss having a reef tank. I have a reef tank supply grave yard in my garage and plan on using a few things from there on this tank. I have already ordered the tank, filter system, and a couple other things. This tank is going to sit on my counter that splits the kitchen and the living room. I plan on putting SPS in it as well as some zoas and maybe a couple LPS. Its also probably going to be bare bottom so I can crank up the flow with the mp10. Everything should be in by next week. I will be starting it with fresh live rock for a short cycle. Probably wont need more than 10-15 lbs of rock.

The tank: Custom made PVC bottom with 3/8ths glass.

Lighting: RapidLED 7 bulb Par38

Filtration: Aquaclear 70 with intank media basket, filter floss, purigen and cheato with submersible LEDlight for fuge (Adding a sump, skimmer, and fuge)

Flow: mp10

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

You'll have plenty of flow for sure. I have a 20G rimless cube with the AC50 and MP10 and run the AC as low as it will go and the MP10 in Lagoon or Reef Crest at 40-50%. More than that and the snails can't even stay upright.

Yeah Im excited about this tank. I have a tub of old live rock that has been in the garage dry for a couple years. i dont feel like cleaning it yet so Im just going to buy some more rock from some local reefers. Im still researching my choice in lighting. Thinking about using the panorama pro but not sure about the power of it and the mounting options.

change of plans! Having a custom 16"x16"x12" rimless built with 3/8ths glass and machine and polished edges. A local tank builder is making it for me. So I guess Im selling the 12" cube.

change of plans! Having a custom 16"x16"x12" rimless built with 3/8ths glass and machine and polished edges. A local tank builder is making it for me. So I guess Im selling the 12" cube.

;) woooooot

bwoodward0012

sounds sick, but you might want to think about more spread than a par38. i have the rapid par38 over my 12" cube and its perfect, but any bigger around and i don't think it would be enough spread. i love shallow cubes so ill def be following.

saltwatercoral
sounds sick, but you might want to think about more spread than a par38. i have the rapid par38 over my 12" cube and its perfect, but any bigger around and i don't think it would be enough spread. i love shallow cubes so ill def be following.

+1 on the coverage.

As some of you may already know where I am going to go on this one...

Aqua Illumination SOL BLUE!!! Coverage for the 16x16 would be PERFECT!!!!

:D

Id love the sol fixture but Im not spending the $300+ on it. I think I might be OK since I will be keeping my rocks and coral in the middle of the tank mostly. What if I go with 80 degree optics? I like to have some space between the glass and the rocks. I can also go with 2 par30's possibly. I have seen some dual light fixtures that would work well with 2 par 30 bulbs.

Ordered the RapidLED par38 bulb today with 80 degree optics. Im looking forward to seeing this bulb. Im going to hang it from the ceiling in a fixture from ikea. Should be pretty bright with 7 CREE 3w led's.

Oh man wait till you guys see this. I'm doing a black PVC bottom on the tank. It will start being built tomorrow. I'll take a few pics of it getting built.

And I was thinking of a different fixture but I'm driving so can't post link

Oh man wait till you guys see this. I'm doing a black PVC bottom on the tank. It will start being built tomorrow. I'll take a few pics of it getting built.

And I was thinking of a different fixture but I'm driving so can't post link

:huh:

Copy that.

Standing by...

My tank should be done in less than 2 weeks. I can't wait for the black PVC bottom! Got a aqua clear 70 bought the intank media basket thing. Got a hydor 50watt heater, Purigen, filter floss, submersible fuge light. Bought two light fixtures from ikea today. Should I order another rapid led par38 7 led bulb? I got one on it's way but I'm thinking maybe I should buy another for $75.

got a few things today

1. Rapid LED 7 bulb par38

2. Surface skimmer overflow from glazer

3. Mr Aqua 7.5gal tank that Im not using. My custom PVC bottom tank should be done by the end of next week and Ill have some pictures of it very soon.

4. Dual TDS meter because my other one was broken.

8b37f916.jpg

I set up the MR Aqua 12" cube in the same spot that Im putting the new tank. Its going on the counter that divides my kitchen from my living room. The cardboard is the size of my custom tank that is being built. The 80 degree optics look to b about perfect for this size tank. if it isnt enough Ill add another bulb later on.

3773db2f.jpg

bf64cf35.jpg

b83da5eb.jpg

I dont like the hangers that IKEA provides for the light cord. Im going to buy new hangers at home depot to be safe. I cant wait for the new tank to get here so I can put some water in it.

Im going to see if I can barrow a par meter and do some tests with this bulb while the tank is cycling. From the looks of this picture all I have to do is move the bulb forward a little bit to cover the cardboard better

bf64cf35.jpg

Dave, welcome back to the hobby. I have a very similar tank to yours (15x15x12). Your flow will be plenty sufficient. I have my MP-10 running at around 30% and it is doing a nice job. Also, I originally ordered the same PAR38 bulb you are planning to use. I did like the color (though if you like a more actinic look, its not going to be what you want) but the spread was not sufficient for me. I'm currently running two PAR30s from boostled with the lamp clamps and I love the coverage and aesthetics of the fixtures on this tank. Keep the updates coming and enjoy!

Dave, welcome back to the hobby. I have a very similar tank to yours (15x15x12). Your flow will be plenty sufficient. I have my MP-10 running at around 30% and it is doing a nice job. Also, I originally ordered the same PAR38 bulb you are planning to use. I did like the color (though if you like a more actinic look, its not going to be what you want) but the spread was not sufficient for me. I'm currently running two PAR30s from boostled with the lamp clamps and I love the coverage and aesthetics of the fixtures on this tank. Keep the updates coming and enjoy!

what made you switch from the par38? I too thought about gtting two par30's from boostled but decided on one par38 from rapidled. Now if I need more light I might just get another par38 and hang both over my tank with both at 60 degree optics. Right now the 80 degree optics on my bulb seem to have good coverage. i just need to make sure the par is high enough for sps. My tank is shallow and the bulb is low so I think it should be enough but we will see. I do like the clamp lights from boostled though. I saw in your thread the clamp holds the par38. I thought the par38 was too heavy for the par30 boost clamp.

Archived