Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Walmart Pico Contest Entry

bdwilson

Here's my entry for the Walmart Pico Contest.

First is a pic of the box, then a pic of all the included equipment, then a pic of how I plan to run it.

It has a fuge mod AC70. The original light will be a fuge light, the main light will be a DIY LED. The little filter that came with the kit will run on the side to create a cross flow in the tank.

It, as the title suggests, will be bare bottom with a bonsai rockscape.

More to come soon!

post-40152-1319764266_thumb.jpg

post-40152-1319764281_thumb.jpg

post-40152-1319764296_thumb.jpg

post-40152-1320549970_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAWR!

You've now officially been welcomed

Bill you beat me to the AC70 idea. Are you going to be able to use the lid?

I think so, we'll see after I chop it up to fit around the AC70.

I assume we have to use it in some fashion because it is part of the original equipment.

Yeah and I'm not sure how to cut the lid without cracking it, would a dremel work you think?

That's what I'm going to use. Have to go slow because it starts to melt the plastic quickly.

That's what I'm going to use. Have to go slow because it starts to melt the plastic quickly.

Use lots of water; have someone pour a continual stream of water over it and don't go too fast, but don't stop the tool or you will burn the plastic.

Please post pics if you mod the hood. I think a lot of folks are leaning in a direction that gets gear out of the tank.

Welcome!

I'll show what I come up with. I'll be working on it this weekend.

That is going to be a lot of 'kit' on a small tank! Two filters, two lights ... coolio.

Thanks, I'm also using a 50 watt heater in the fuge and need to figure out an ATO.

Here's my entry for the Walmart Pico Contest.

First is a pic of the box, then a pic of all the included equipment, then a pic of how I plan to run it.

It has a fuge mod AC70. The original light will be a fuge light, the main light will be a DIY LED. The little filter that came with the kit will run on the side to create a cross flow in the tank.

It, as the title suggests, will be bare bottom with a bonsai rockscape.

More to come soon!

:welcome: Very cool, can't wait to see pictures of this "Big Boy" wet. Please keep us updated and with pics of course.

Rob

Paint drying!

I painted the back and bottom of the tank black. I painted the bottom because I'm going bare bottom and want a clean look.

I also painted my AC70 black to keep unwanted light from getting in to control algae. Ofter the AC70 lid dries I'm going to cut a window and glue in a clear acrylic window for the fuge light to shine in.

post-40152-1319917864_thumb.jpg

Paint drying!

I painted the back and bottom of the tank black. I painted the bottom because I'm going bare bottom and want a clean look.

I also painted my AC70 black to keep unwanted light from getting in to control algae. Ofter the AC70 lid dries I'm going to cut a window and glue in a clear acrylic window for the fuge light to shine in.

Way cool, you got it going on!!!! B) Can't wait to see it set up. Please keep us posted....

Way cool, you got it going on!!!! B) Can't wait to see it set up. Please keep us posted....

looking great!

Yeah it is. I think that the AC70 look's much better painted black.

Thanks all!

I'm considering painting the little kit filter black also....opinions?

Thanks for the replies all!

I got everything painted black. I still need to mod the AC70 lid to put a clear window in it for the fuge light to shine in.

I put together my bonsai scape, after several tries I think I like this one.

What do you all think?

post-40152-1320113562_thumb.jpg

awesome!!!! why not black sand?

Thanks, and I decided to go bare bottom and cover the floor with polyps/mushrooms.

Like the rock a lot! Nice area around it for bottom dwelling corals.

Thanks, and like you mention I plan to cover the bottom with polyps/mushrooms.

Archived