Coral Vue Hydros

Firefishbrain's S. Tapetum Species tank

firefishbrain

firefishbrain

CURRENT FTS

DSCF5661.jpg

Hello everyone! First off, thanks for taking a look at my tank! This has become my summer project and it should end up being a great tank (if I do say so myself). When I first saw the mini carpet's, I instantly fell in love with them, and just had to jump on the bandwagon.

Anyways, here are some spec's on the setup:

Tank: 5Gallon custom 1/4" glass tank. 12"w x 12"d x 8"h

Filtration: Current Subcurrent with carbon and some filter floss

Lighting: 70w JBJ K2 Viper HQI with a Ushio 14k 70w Bulb

Nutrient export is currently acheived by weekly water changes, and I manually top of with fresh RO/DI water as needed (usually twice a day :o )

I feed all of the inhabitants, at the moment irregularly. I plan on moving to a stable every other day feeding regiment. When I have fed, I used Hikari Mysis shrimp.

Here is a stock list:

Clean Up Crew

4 Nerite snails

2 Cerith snails

2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

Other Mobile Inverts

2 Sexy Anemone Shrimp (Thor ambionensis)

1 Pom Pom Crab (Lybia sp.)

2 Anemone Crabs (Neopetrolisthes sp.)

2 1 "Clown" Anemone Shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis)

The Anemones (Stichodactyla tapetum)

The "Mini's"

2 morphs

3 total

The "Maxi's"

11 morphs

16 total

Grand Anemone Count

19 S. tapetum

Future plans/ideas

As far as stocking considerations are concerned, I do plan on propagating my anemones with much enthusiasm, to both increase my stock, as well as to provide these creatures for other reef enthusiasts through trades and sales. I also wish to collect a variety of anemone symbiotic crustaceans. On the list for sure will be some of the commensal shrimp (Periclimenes) as well as the white porcelain crabs. I do plan on keeping this setup fishless. If anyone has other inverts that form symbiotic relations with anemones, please let me know!

For filtration, I have been toying with the idea of a remote deep sandbed, as described in Anthony Calfo’s Book of Coral Propagation Vol. 1 Ed. 2. More research is required here on my part as well as a way to create this. I also may use Red Mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) in the back of the display to help with nutrient absorbsion as well, or in place of the RDSB.

For Scaping, I'm quite happy with how everything turned out, I like the idea of 3 main "rock islands", but I may get some rubble and/or smaller pieces to replace the big rock on the left. Currently, I cannot remove the anemones for slicing, as they have wedged themselves in there pretty well.

Without further ado, here are some pics (I will probably have my friend who does photography for fun get some decent pics in here with her SLR cam)

Build of the tank

006-Copy.jpg

...Add 2 months, some water, a light and inhabitants and you get this!

DSCF5623.jpg

Some of the nems:

DSCF5626.jpg

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5629.jpg

DSCF5634.jpg

DSCF5632.jpg

More to come. Stay tuned and thanks for looking!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice nems. I really should get in gear and get my nem tank up and running. I have two of the clown anemone shrimp (Periclimenes sp) and around 9 sexy shrimps in my tank with my mini and maxi nems. The clown anemone shrimps are very very cool. My largest one stays sprawled out on top of the one maxi she has chosen as hers.

firefishbrain

Thanks all for the kind words. And, yes, All my nems will eventually go under the knife. currently I am planning on getting two cut up (my brown, green/teal, and my "watermelon" aka pink with green rim) once I get the hunk of rock broken up so I can remove them. The "rainbow" one needs to grow just a bit more.

In other news, I acquired 2 "Anemone crabs" (Neopetrolisthes sp.) I believe them to both be female. I'm going to be working on a more accurate identification of these guys shortly. I'm simply reading the label that was attached to the bag they arrived in. I also got another mini, it is green with an orange ring, I fear though that it may be a bit bleached, so I will be monitoring and feeding it diligently. (These additions came from the wholesale company Quality Marine, if anyone is interested).

More pictures will be on the way. Hopefully next week we will be seeing some commensal shrimps!!!

Also, I literally just got Marine Chemistry by CR Brightwell (of Brightwell Aquatics) and Giant Clams in the Sea nad the Aquarium by James Fatherree!!! Very excited, but I haven't even finished reading Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation...

firefishbrain

Here are a few more pics that I forgot to upload...

I'm calling this my Red Ring of Death lol

051.jpg

The "watermelon"

053.jpg

sorry, these photos are kinda crappy, but you get a general idea of the color scheme.

firefishbrain

Thanks again all.

AM6- As do I, thus I'm doing it! lol. It's truly the reason why I REALLY like, and even PREFER a smaller tank volume, one can enjoy these more cryptic species and their amazing habits.

star- I like the name too, I hope other ppl get the xbox reference

sweet- You and me, we're going to FORCE S. tapetum to be a nano reef staple, or even a requisite!!! =D

firefishbrain

Well, I decided to break up my big rock on the right earlier today. In the process, I managed to rip my Red Ring of Death nem in half, so I had to do an emergency fragmentation. The more mutalated half is sitting on its rock in the basket. So, since I already had the razor and the shallow tupperware box out, I also went ahead and fragged up the other two maxis that were on that same rock; the "Watermelon" and my brown & green/teal. they are sitting in the basket as well.

But I am quite happy with my new right side. I like the height it has provided me now I don't have to think about adding some sort of staghorn to get that height.

As requested, here are more pics.

FTS as of 7/16/10

DSCF5647.jpg

From the left

DSCF5649.jpg

From the right

DSCF5650.jpg

One of my Anemone Crabs (Neopetrolisthes sp.)

DSCF5643.jpg

One half of the fragged "Watermelon"

DSCF5657.jpg

Maimed Red Ring of Death (Please cross your fingers for this guy)

DSCF5659.jpg

Brown & Green/Teal and Watermelon Frags (respectively)

DSCF5660.jpg

Actually on the left side, you can see my newest 'nem. I'm thinking its going to be alright. They have thus far proven to be quite resilient.

***NOTE***

To anyone looking to do a S. tapetum tank, do yourself a favor and make your 'scapes out of rubble, save yourself the hassle and stress.

Alright kids, thats all I got.

animalmaster6

Awesome!

Sorry to hear about the Red RIng of Death- Sounds like it turned out for the best though.

I love the way the tank looks and I especially like the Porcelain Crab.

firefishbrain

Why thank you, I think the stacking of the rubble to add height was exactly what the tank needed. And my rainbow is hosting one of the porcelains! The other "crab" just sits out in the open.

firefishbrain

I GOT SOME PERICLIMENES!!!! I just have to positively id them. I'll do that and post pics tomorrow...

:scarry: The anticipation is building!!!

Archived