Cultivated Reef

10 Minutes a day to keep your water perfect

reefer916

reefer916

This is not a new topic, but I wanted to share my experiences with other reefers of how daily water changes has kept my water prestine and my tank healthy for over a year. I also have a 95 gallon mixed reef, which I do 30 gallon water changes once every 2-3 weeks. Daily water changes would be too much work in that system, but in a nano it's really easy. It's also not the only way to maintain a healthy reef system, but my point is that it's easy and an excellent way to maintain a stable reef environment.

I started doing this after purchasing my 24 gallon AP from CL, which included a stock of corals, carpet anemone, clowns, etc. I was concerned after moving it that there would be a cycle and kill all of my livestock, so I decided to do a soft cycle. However, I just got into the habit of doing daily water changes, which only takes me 10 minutes a day.

Here are my tank specs:

24 gallon Aquapod

Filtration

40lbs +/- LR

20lbs LS

Filter sponges

No skimmer or refugium

Lighting

20" Sunpod with 150 watt MH Aquamaxx 14k bulb

Livestock:

2-clowns

1-Psychodelic Dragonette

1-Sixline Wrasse

2-Emerald Crabs

1-Cleaner shrimp

3-Astrea snails

2-Cereth snails

4-Nassarius snails

8-Hermit crabs

Corals:

Too many to list: Acros,Monti's,Acans,Blastos,Zoas,Paly's,Rics,Candycanes,GSP,Xenia,etc.

Feeding: Mysis every other day and Formula 2 flake food alternating days. Reef Nutrition Phytofeast,Oysterfeast, Rotifeast, and Brightwell Coral Aminos daily. Reef Nutrition products are fed twice daily in small quanitities. Roughly 5-10 drops per day.

Water parameters:

SG:1.025

Phosphate:0

PH:8.3

Ammonia:0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate:0

Calcium:425-450

Magnesium:1350-1400

Alk:9.5-10

Temp:78-80 degrees

I use RO/DI water for topoffs and Reef Crystals buffered to an Alk of 10..

Equipment used:

30 gallon Brute Trashbin: I have the 24 gallon,95 gallon, and 12 gallon systems. So having a constant supply of mixing SW is great for emergencies and stability and aeration of the new saltwater.

50 watt Stealth heater

Two powerheads (I need to check which models)

Tupperware container

Syphon

5 gallon bucket

Daily routine:

My water changes are done usually an hour after feeding in the morning or at night after my kids go to bed. Top off system with RO/DI fresh water twice daily..

1) Syphon out 1-2 gallons of tank water into the 5 gallon bucket

2) Using the tupperware replace the water..

3) Test SG

4) Clean glass with magfloat

5) Dose 2-Parts CA and Alk as needed. Dose Mg every other day to help maintain Alk levels.

Alk levels are tested 3x a week with API test kit. All other tests are done monthly or if my Alk is off I will test my Mg and Ca levels to make sure it's balanced.

Weekly Routine:

1) Once a week, usually Saturday mornings a 4-5 gallon water change

2) Clean filter sponges and powerheads

3) Done:) Enjoy your little Ocean in a box

The benefits:

1) Constant replenishing of vital trace elements that are used constantly by reef inhabitants

2) No worries of accidently overdosing

3) Having constant availability of freshly mixed saltwater

4) Stable environment

5) Peace of mind. That your water is prestine

I change roughly 50% of my water volume on a weekly basis. However, it's not as shocking to the systems as doing one 50% water change. Many people ask about the beneficial bacteria in the water column and that by doing so many water changes I'm depleting their numbers. However, I believe that the majority of the bacteria and biological filtration remains in our Live Rocks and Live Sand, which is uneffected by this process.

The cost: A bucket of Reef Crystals costs me 48.00 out the door at my LFS, which makes 150 gallons of saltwater. It allows me to do 15 weeks worth of water, which in essence costs me $3.20 a week or .45 a day. The amount of money I save in not having to dose other trace elements besides 2-parts and Mg more than makes up the difference.

I hope this helps some of you guys. I would recommend to at least try it and see what it does. I'm open to any questions and comments, but again this is not the only way to keep a healthy reef system. It's just what works for me..

Happy Reefing!!!

Chris

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
meganistkrieg

Interesting food for thought! What amount would you recommend changing daily in a 14G?

Ive been doing every other day water changes now for about 6 months and I believe it has made a huge difference in my 34g Solana. I change 2 gallons every other day, and about 6 gallons every weekend.

My personal belief is that very frequent water changes are one of the best kept secrets of reefing. CLEAN WATER!!!!!

reefer916
Interesting food for thought! What amount would you recommend changing daily in a 14G?

I would do 1/2-3/4 of a gallon daily water change and a 2 gallon weekly water change. By the way, it's also alright to miss a day or two, but if you get into the habit it'll work wonders for your reef. It's roughly a 50% total volume water change per week.

What's the largest sized tank that you would try this with?

I'd say a 50 gallon would be as high as I'd want to go, but it could be done in larger systems. I just don't have the time to do it with my 95 gallon, but I did do it for 3 months and again my corals and livestock flourished.

Interesting post.

I'm cycling my 40 breeder with about 10-12 gallon sump (water capacity, it's a 20H sump) and I'm also working on getting the ATO working. My closet wall is right next to the tank and I plan on adding a tank in the closet for the ATO. You've got me thinking about adding ANOTHER tank inside my closet so I can always have a tank full of fresh saltwater running at the proper temperature/SG/pH/Alk. I would plumb it so I would be able to just turn a valve and replenish whatever I removed from the DT.

What % do you recommend to change daily?

reefer916
Interesting post.

I'm cycling my 40 breeder with about 10-12 gallon sump (water capacity, it's a 20H sump) and I'm also working on getting the ATO working. My closet wall is right next to the tank and I plan on adding a tank in the closet for the ATO. You've got me thinking about adding ANOTHER tank inside my closet so I can always have a tank full of fresh saltwater running at the proper temperature/SG/pH/Alk. I would plumb it so I would be able to just turn a valve and replenish whatever I removed from the DT.

What % do you recommend to change daily?

That would be an awesome way to set it up and even speed up the process. I actually timed myself this morning after writing the first post and my water change actually only took me 5 minutes.

Your probably looking at about 35-40 gallons of water volume after the displacement from the LR and LS. I'd just plan on doing daily 2 gallon water changes and a 6-8 gallon weekly water change. You could even do it during your cycling process. In theory it'll take your tank longer to cycle, but I've never experienced any negative effects even during or after the cycling of my tanks. It's allowed me to keep all of my corals and livestock alive after moves without having any spikes or major fluctuations in my parameters. The only necessary requirement is using fully cured LR. If it stinks and has a lot of die off the amount of decaying organic material will probably overcome any of the benefits of the daily water changes. Looking forward to seeing you get everything plumbed and setup.

reefer916

Here is a pic of my 24 gallon.. I think my son put a fingerprint on the lense, but everything is thriving. I recently got into SPS about 6 months ago and they're growing like crazy, along with the LPS, Zoas, etc. The daily water changes allow me to feed my tank and not worry too much about over feeding. It allows me to keep my softees and LPS happy by feeding them, but to also keep the prestine stable water conditions SPS need to thrive.

IMG_0599.jpg

Sweet looking tank there.

As I told you the other day the water changes daily have really made a big improvement in my tank too.

I noticed yesterday a small patch of bubble algae I have not bothered with has started to go transparent meaning it is dieing off.

I think the water changes and low nutrients because of have been killing off any nuisance algae.

And once again, thanks for all the help you gave me by PM.

Got to say it again, sweet looking tank.

Well, all except for the Aztecs. They don't look good in that tank for some reason. Maybe need to get rid of them.

You have my address I believe. ;)

not to rain on anyone's parade, but this is kind of a no-brainer. if you do lots of water changes, your tank will be healthier. duh. :rolleyes:

reefer916
Sweet looking tank there.

As I told you the other day the water changes daily have really made a big improvement in my tank too.

I noticed yesterday a small patch of bubble algae I have not bothered with has started to go transparent meaning it is dieing off.

I think the water changes and low nutrients because of have been killing off any nuisance algae.

And once again, thanks for all the help you gave me by PM.

Got to say it again, sweet looking tank.

Well, all except for the Aztecs. They don't look good in that tank for some reason. Maybe need to get rid of them.

You have my address I believe. ;)

I'm glad it's also working out for you and feel free to pm me anytime.

The tank's looking alot nicer with the pieces that I picked up from you a few weeks ago. All of the acros are already showing growth and encrusting onto the rocks. The Spartans and Sunny D's have already started budding new polyps.

Let me know when you want to do some trading.. You still have some acros that I wouldn't mind having a few frags of.

reefer916
not to rain on anyone's parade, but this is kind of a no-brainer. if you do lots of water changes, your tank will be healthier. duh. :rolleyes:

I do agree with you that it's a no brainer, but I'm on the forums everyday and I notice so many reefers having water quality issues. There are also different theories of frequent water changes causing additional stress on corals and livestock, as well as, removing beneficial bacteria. Many reefers also think that daily water changes would take too much time because of their experience having to mix the water the day before and getting everything prepped for their water changes.

It's very easy to maintain this routine and it also helps when I go on vacation. Who ever watch's my tank for a week, just needs to know how to top off fresh water and take out and replace new water already mixed. Maybe dose a little, but it gives me peace of mind that it could be done by anyone, when I'm enjoying vacations with my family.

The purpose of this thread is to show reefers that you could create and sustain a thriving and healthy reef with only 10 minutes a day. There's no fancy protein skimmer, phosphate reactors, miracle supplements, etc. Being a passionate reefer, but finding a balance between my hobby and my family is key. I no longer need to set aside 3 hours every weekend to take care of my tanks. Now I spend 10 minutes a day and an occassional 45 minutes every 3 weeks to do my 95 gallon's water change.

Just trying to help some fellow reefers find that balance:)

Diskusting

This thread got me off my ass to clean the tank. Now if only you could make a thread like this every week :)

reefer916
This thread got me off my ass to clean the tank. Now if only you could make a thread like this every week :)

Glad to help :) Noticed you have a 10 gallon that was fairly recently setup. This kind of thing would be really easy for you to do..

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been on vacation for 5 days now and my brother inlaw has been taking care of my tanks. He's been doing the daily 1-2 gallon water changes and dosing Ca, Mg, and 2-parts according to my dosing schedule and all is good. He tested Ca, Mg, and Alk yesterday and all of them are keeping their parameters. By the way, I 've also noticed that the water changes even though very frequent do not replace enough Ca and Mg, so I have to dose due to my coral load. The 2-parts wasn't enough, so I've been dosing Kent Liquid Ca and Kent Mg to help maintain water parameters.

My brother inlaw has no idea about reefing and now he's actually thinking about starting a Nano. Even for a non-reefer the routine maintainence is easy and I asked him how long it's been taking him to care for all three of my tanks. It takes him about 15 minutes a day between feeding, dosing, and water changes in the 24 gallon. I'll test all of my parameters when I get home..

19jeffro83

Ood post I was wondering my self about daily water changes. I've been doing a half gallon to a gallon a few times a week on my biocube 14 and it seems to be good so far.

Meengineer0128

I do two 5% changes a week and get the same results. I agree that constant water changes are good for nano's. I may try your method as a small water change isn't exactly a day stopper.

So far I haven't heard anyone complain of any tank crashes or problems caused by doing daily water changes.. It's definitely worth a shot and worst case scenario you could stop doing them and move back to your normal routine..

Seems like a lot of work. :happy:

Why do you buff Alk if you're already using RC? My mixes usually measure around 11-13 in alk, if it's off I just trash the whole bag. My lfs has them priced the same as regular IO.

Seems like a lot of work. :happy:

Why do you buff Alk if you're already using RC? My mixes usually measure around 11-13 in alk, if it's off I just trash the whole bag. My lfs has them priced the same as regular IO.

It's not bad, I'm usually tinkering or looking at my tank anyways so it's not really hard to swap out a few gallons while I'm looking at it. Don't get me wrong there are some days that I miss a day or two, but it's been a pretty habitual routine.

I usually buy the 5 gallon buckets of RC because I have the 24, 95, and 12 gallons and didn't feel like flushing $50 down the toilet.. If it was just a $10 bag of salt I probably would have. The RC's usually test around 10, but I got a bad batch. I just used it all and have a fresh batch that I don't need to buffer. That's pretty good that your LFS charges the same price for RC and IO. Must be really expensive IO or really cheap RC..haha The cheapest I could find it is $47.99 without tax..

fiction101

That pretty much sums it up.

As long as your phosphates are below .05 and nitrates are around/below .5 , there really isn't a need to do that many water changes.

That pretty much sums it up.

As long as your phosphates are below .05 and nitrates are around/below .5 , there really isn't a need to do that many water changes.

I guess I have to repeat myself once again... This isn't the only way to keep a healthy reef system. However, I'm just discussing how I keep my tank healthy by doing the daily water changes. We spend a lot of time and hard earned money on this hobby. Spending 10 minutes a day really isn't that much and the cost is minimal on nano tanks. I find it interesting how many reefers who have actually been doing more than the "weekly water change mantra" and have had great success with their systems. Yet they're afraid to post threads about it because people want to prove them wrong or make some smart remarks. However, for those who may have higher than .05 phosphates or higher than .5 nitrates this thread may help. I'm assuming the vast majority of reefers aren't running around with .05 phosphates and .5 nitrates, so maybe they'll benefit from this thread.. In addition, many reefers are running on tight budgets these days and don't have the extra money for expensive equipment. This is a cheap way to get everything stable and running, until you could buy the phosphate reactor, protein skimmer, refugium, macro, etc...

Sounds like you have everything handled, so don't worry about it.

By the way, still haven't heard anyone who has done daily water changes post any negative feedback.. Maybe because it might work...hmmm

Hey Reefer, does your 5-10 min daily water changes include the cleaning up time? I do 5 gallons weekly water changes and it takes me a minimum of 30 mins which includes cleaning, rinsing buckets, hoses and putting everything away.

I wouldn't mind doing daily or every other day water changes if I could finish everything in 5 mins. I wondering since your doing daily changes, its not necessary to rinse and you just put everything to the side for the next day?

Rem: I'm actually going to start trying to give this a go starting this weekend. I saw someone's Solana on here that had a smart setup to make this easier and I'm going to attempt it myself.

Basically, I'm going to drop in a 2.5g AGA in my stand with a powerhead and heater that is constantly mixing. For my daily water changes, I plan to just plumb a hose from the SW res to the main tank. Flip the connection and replace water, all I have to do outside the tank is syphon off the 2 gallons or so and dump it.

That's the theory at least...hoping that'll keep me in the 5 - 10 min daily range.

blasterman

I'll be the last one to argue against water changes. However, I'll be the first to argue we should have enough of our brains around this hobby to find a consistent way to reduce their need.

I'm not trying to be a tree hugger or anything, but the only reason we're able to resort to constant water changes is because fresh water is cheap for us and salt mixes cheap to ship. A lot of people can't get into this hobby because they can't find enough fresh water to grow crops, yet we dump ours down down the drain because it's not good enough for our reef tanks because it's 'stale'. Yet, we don't know why it's stale. (?)

Aggressive water changes accomplish a lot of things. They re-balance consumed nutrients and remove waste products for one. Yet the thing that annoys me is why a tank with zero phosphate and zero nitrate suddenly becomes a bloom of hair algae or bryopsis. A part of the remedy is massive water changes, but the question is 'why', and I really wish we could spend some more effort into solving some of these problems rather than just keeping the salt makers making profit.

I know a lot of guys who do 10% daily changes, and would file for divorce before changing their schedule. I know a lot of reefers who are lucky to do 10% a month, and have glorious SPS tanks. As a general mean statistic, the guys doing more frequent seem less likely to have a sudden out-break of 'whatever' or sudden RTN epidemic of their previously healthy tank. So, to be safe, do a lot of water changes.

The thing is, I don't want to. Salt costs money, and so does RO water. I don't want to throw dice with my tank - I want to know what I have to put into it to keep it healthy. Doing massive water changes without really knowing the reasons why it helps just bothers me in a hobby that is otherwise very technically orientated.

Sorry for the rant....just how I feel.

Archived