Cultivated Reef

very clean ADA build

rean_jem

this is an ADA tank that i almost sold but when i saw it i just decided to keep it. it measures 18x9.5x12.

my total goal for this tank is a very clean look with unpainted background and no equipment inside. everything will be at the sump below it.

im going to be explaining with pictures as i progress. and i know mostly everyone here, including me are picture addicts so here we go.

this is the tank already seen here cut and drilled

DSCF5117.jpg

different angle of the stand sanded and ready for paint

DSCF5040.jpg

DSCF5041.jpg

DSCF5042.jpg

DSCF5039.jpg

DSCF5044.jpg

the top will be the display, the middle the sump and the bottom will be a 10 gal ro/di top off

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i drilled three 1/2" holes for returns at the bottom and i have the bulkheads on hand. my question is does the gasket go on the wet side or the outside of the tank? from what i remember it goes on the wet side. can anybody confirm this? thanks.

goes on the side of the bulkhead with the lip. has nothing to do with wet/dry

how did you notch the glass like that anyway? you have balls the size of lgreen's emo tendencies

wet side

goes on the side of the bulkhead with the lip. has nothing to do with wet/dry

how did you notch the glass like that anyway? you have balls the size of lgreen's emo tendencies

Really? Never heard of that.

researching....

Seems you are right. But in my defense I would never put the threaded end of a bulkhead on the water side. Just does not make sense to me.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

wet side

thanks, i knew its on the wet side :lol:

how did you notch the glass like that anyway

with this

DSCF5114.jpg

i used dremel with a tile cutting bit with a lot of water. i had a harder time drilling the holes and i followed all the tips i read here and other sites. i still had some minor chipping with the holes but everything will be covered by the bulkhead.

i guess im not that long here yet. who is lgreen?

do you have chips on both side of the glass or just one side? put the bulkhead's lip on the side WITHOUT the chip or you might get leaks. it doesn't matter what end of the bulkhead is the wet end. Trust me on this one as I have first hand experience

the little chips are on the inside but im confident the gasket will cover it. im also going to put a little silicone around the bulkhead. thanks for the heads up though.

heres a pic of the chips

DSCF5112.jpg

I highly urge you to flip your bulkhead around. But if you're confident, go for it. I couldn't eliminate the drip on mine until I flipped it around and my chip was 1/4th the size of yours

im waiting for the stand to dry as i just finished painting it. one more coat and its should be ready to go.

heres some pictures i took while cutting and drilling the tank.

drilling the overflow. its 6" long and 1/2" high. i used a straight peice of wood as a guide.

DSCF5099.jpg

DSCF5100.jpg

in action!

DSCF5102.jpg

DSCF5103.jpg

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5108.jpg

heres the tools i used and what was taken of the tank.

DSCF5113.jpg

the output

DSCF5118.jpg

So wait, is this going to be like one of those overflowing tanks where the water collects in a basin, then drains to the sump, only the overflow portion is smaller?

So wait, is this going to be like one of those overflowing tanks where the water collects in a basin, then drains to the sump, only the overflow portion is smaller?

I wonder if salt creep would be a problem.

m so honored to finally meet lgreen and post on my thread!

you got it spot on.

this will explain it better, the second box will have a herbie style standpipe.

Untitledjpg2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I wonder if salt creep would be a problem.

i dont think salt creep will be a problem

Archived