Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coopers JBJ 28 Gallon HQI Has started

DrCooper

Hey everyone, so here it is. After getting three broken aquapods from Drs foster and smith I went to great local FS and bought the 28 gallon JBJ Nano, very happy with it. Put in about 30 lbs of live rock (2 large pieces) and 40 lbs of Bahamas Oolite sand.

Let me know what you think of the rock work or I may break up one of the large pieces into smaller parts.

post-35832-1220539183_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I assume you think I should break up one of those big boys? I am likely going to just not 100%

I may just do it right now hahahha

It is fairly dense rock, but it also has a pretty decent amount of surface area to play with. If you have a dremel or a chisel you can just as easily remove any rock fragments the coral comes with -- depending on my source, I want nothing to do with the majority of external live rock due to the possibility of unwanted hitchhikers.

Ok so been little more then one week and all my parameters look good. Have tons of growth on the rocks.

pH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0 (was 20 ppm 4 days ago)

Salinity 1.023

Temp. around 78.0

What is everyones thoughts on adding anything or waiting?

CUC? ONE SNAIL, Something ahhaaha

post-35832-1221144609_thumb.jpg

aquascape after breaking up some rock last week. Been like this all week and love it!

opinions please

post-35832-1221144799_thumb.jpg

Echo... echo......... echo........

:P

Looking good, I would wait another week, at least, before adding the CUC.

Agreed, but if you got your rock from the LFS and it wasn't out of the water for long you might be OK in the next few days.

Hey Cooper, the new aquascape looks great! Almost kinda looks like my first aquascape but I like yours better cause theres more rock. Well good luck and keep us updated

Rock is from LFS and was only out of water for a few hours but was kept wet the entire time as I continued to put water on it.

I have huge growth throughout the tank on the rocks and small green growth all over the sides of the tank. I am just itching now hahaha

Added 4 mexican red leg hermits, 8 turbos and some frags

Just moved the Xenia up top so discard its location in these pics. Also is an Anthelia in the back corner not pictured

So far parameters are good

Zero Ammonia, NItrate and NItrite, pH early was 7.9 and Salinity 1.028 (will try lower a bit)

comments welcome please

post-35832-1221597693_thumb.jpg

Added 4 mexican red leg hermits, 8 turbos and some frags

Just moved the Xenia up top so discard its location in these pics. Also is an Anthelia in the back corner not pictured

So far parameters are good

Zero Ammonia, NItrate and NItrite, pH early was 7.9 and Salinity 1.028 (will try lower a bit)

comments welcome please

You will probably have to remove some or all of the turbos at some point. They are really great when you have a lot of algae to remove, but when the algae declines they will (I caught one of mine in the act) destroy certain corals trying to get the algae off of them. I think perhaps 8 is too many. I had only two and they cleaned my tank in a week. You also might want to add 4 Nassarius vibex (snails). These guys will cleanup all the leftovers when you feed your fish and they also work the sand. Sometimes hard to find, but worth the effort.

So I emailed with John at reefcleaners.org and we designed a nice complete cleanup crew for my tank. I also picked up 6 nassarius and 6 blue leg hermits yesterday at LFS.

The nassarius snails are amazing to watch just appear from the sand.

Also picked up a Cleaner Shrimp who is hiding (but he doesnt know i see him) since i got him poor lil guy

I update and add pics soon as I am trying to figure out how to get my camera to take quality pics

matt

nassarius snails = the zombies of the ocean, I love them I have like 10 in my 10 gallon, I know its a bit over kill but I feed them every day anyways,

stick a silverside in your tank and watch the nassarius strip it down to the bone. Amazing

I admit the rushing urge got the best of me but I am now waiting till anything else.

But I must come clean, my entire clean up crew be here thursday hahaha.

No more livestock or anything for a while. Let everything settle and acclimate.

Did I mention my TWO AUSTRALIAN BLACK CLOWNS hahahah, minor addition few days ago. They are doing great.

OK OK OK i know i know but hey, water was testing perfect and I am just a sucker

It is the New Yorker in me, i dont like to wait

Now, I shall wait hah

What should i feed these snails? any specific fish food?

Little update on my tanks

All is well

Parameters all checking out great but wanna stay on top of it regardless

Clowns doing well as is the cleaner shrimp, which attacked my hand when I put it in the tank to clean me!

oh, and the Nassarius snails are the coolest thing ever. When i feed the fish the other day and one pellet dropped on the sand bed they all just APPEAR, its really amazing. I LOVE THESE THINGS

post-35832-1222265148_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Haven't updated in a while

Have a huge amount of new frags in tank

Everything doing great except this gorgeous Dr. Mac Birdsnest I got. It just started loosing its color and i tried to save it but no luck

went to Manhattan reef frag swap and it was great! anyone near by should attend next one for sure!

some more pics

post-35832-1228316611_thumb.jpg

post-35832-1228316768_thumb.jpg

post-35832-1228316929_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
New FTS

tank doing great

Dr. Cooper, that tank is looking AMAZING!!!

The Tailspot looks like its doing great!! Fat fish you got there!!! LoL! ;)

-David

Archived