Coral Vue Hydros

IS IT BACK? Bonsai's JBJ Picotope [3g] Journal

Bonsai

After successfully caring for my Nano Reef for 4 months, I decided start a second saltwater tank ... this one will be placed on my office desk. I chose the Picotope based on positive feedback on this forum, and I've also seen a couple set up at my local fish store. I like the form factor, and I've seen great mods with 12" Satellite 18W CF Bulbs and the AC70 for a 'fuge. I plan on performing both of those mods.

I definitely want to stock Zoanthids and Ricordea, and I'd love to put a small fish in there (I've seen a thread about Clown Gobys in Picos ... anyone have other suggestions)?

But until my tank arrives from Dr's Foster & Smith - I have a few general pico questions:

1. Would it be advisable to use tank water from my current setup in the Pico? Or should I start with new water?

2. How often are people with 3ish gallon picos changing their water, and at what volume? I've seen a few posts about doing water changes twice a week.

3. As I touched on above, besides Clown Goby ... what other fish (I know fish in a pico is debatable in general) are good for a Pico reef?

Thanks!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fiction101

I have a clown goby and a baby clown fish in mine. I'll do 2-3 small water changes a week now, to avoid any bio load problems.

Ijust take it easy with clown goby. clown gobys are sooooo easy to car for, all you need to do is feed them every 3 days.

fiction101

Just make sure they will eat before you by one, mine is starting to worry me since it never seems to eat anything I feed it.

Bad Company
After successfully caring for my Nano Reef for 4 months, I decided start a second saltwater tank ... this one will be placed on my office desk. I chose the Picotope based on positive feedback on this forum, and I've also seen a couple set up at my local fish store. I like the form factor, and I've seen great mods with 12" Satellite 18W CF Bulbs and the AC70 for a 'fuge. I plan on performing both of those mods.

I definitely want to stock Zoanthids and Ricordea, and I'd love to put a small fish in there (I've seen a thread about Clown Gobys in Picos ... anyone have other suggestions)?

But until my tank arrives from Dr's Foster & Smith - I have a few general pico questions:

1. Would it be advisable to use tank water from my current setup in the Pico? Or should I start with new water?

2. How often are people with 3ish gallon picos changing their water, and at what volume? I've seen a few posts about doing water changes twice a week.

3. As I touched on above, besides Clown Goby ... what other fish (I know fish in a pico is debatable in general) are good for a Pico reef?

Thanks!

I change about 1 gallon from my tank give or take, but I only house a large pistol shrimp in mine. Clown goby would be perfectly fine, especially with the AC 70 fuge mod. If you have the fuge mod, I actually think you could do a mated pair, if you can get your hands on one.

Picotope arrived today.

Here is a full photo of my office:

picotope01fx1.jpg

And a close up of the empty tank, with Current USA Satellite 18W fixture. I used Black Fusion Krylon spray paint to paint the back of the tank black. It came out well ... I really like the black background, especially because the 'fuge will be hanging behind it.

picotope02et6.jpg

This weekend, when I do a water change on my BioCube, I'll save the water and use that to fill this Pico. I also have sand left over from my BioCube adventure, so on Monday - the Pico adventure begins!

TheChosenReefer

When you fill this baby up make sure the corners of the tank are not hanging off like that. Might not hurt the tank right now but can cause damage later on.

When you fill this baby up make sure the corners of the tank are not hanging off like that. Might not hurt the tank right now but can cause damage later on.

Why is that? It's glass ...

TheChosenReefer

Even though it is glass and won't have much weight on it the rest of the tank is supported. If the corners aren't then that cause stress later on in the future you could have a crack/leak or worst is falls out. Trust me I've seen it happen with a 2g glass tank not pretty when you see all your hard work fall down on the floor.

Picotope arrived today.

Here is a full photo of my office:

picotope01fx1.jpg

And a close up of the empty tank, with Current USA Satellite 18W fixture. I used Black Fusion Krylon spray paint to paint the back of the tank black. It came out well ... I really like the black background, especially because the 'fuge will be hanging behind it.

picotope02et6.jpg

This weekend, when I do a water change on my BioCube, I'll save the water and use that to fill this Pico. I also have sand left over from my BioCube adventure, so on Monday - the Pico adventure begins!

This should be a great adventure enjoy

stratosphere

I have the same set-up on its way from Drs F&S--can't wait to get it started. I think this is the perfect office set-up, it looks so sleek and is just the right size for a desk.

Can't wait to see what you do with it, as I've really enjoyed your BC thread!

Day One - June 2nd, 2008

Let the cycle begin! Grabbed the rock, tossed in the sand, poured the water, and got this Pico party started. The location of the heater is temporary until I get the 'fuge ready - but other than that, I think everything looks good at the moment.

picoday1is9.jpg

I kind of wish they made a black Mag-Float.

Jason

stratosphere

Looking sweet - I'm also doing black sand, think it looks great in these little tanks.

There may not be a black mag-float, but you can get a Nimble Nano in black, which, IMO is even better! I've got one in clear in my BC14 and love it. I'm going to be ordering another for my pico.

Why don't you just use that krylon fusion to paint the mag float black...the paint bonds to plastic so it's safe.

Why don't you just use that krylon fusion to paint the mag float black...the paint bonds to plastic so it's safe.

That's what I read on the spray paint can ... but I'm a bit hesitant ... what if something leached into the water? :scarry:

Any clue how much sand you tossed in? Also any idea how many lbs of rock? Debating a pico myself (4g jalli vs finnex), so curious what folks are using for their smaller tanks. Lite from ?

Any clue how much sand you tossed in? Also any idea how many lbs of rock? Debating a pico myself (4g jalli vs finnex), so curious what folks are using for their smaller tanks. Lite from ?

Not sure how many lbs of sand, I just eyeballed it. I weighed the rock though, 3.5lbs.

Thanks Bonsai....not much rock at all then...probably more sand, lol. Do they sell that black sand in small bags?

wow_it_esploded

Krylon Fusion has proven to be COMPLETELY safe for aquatic inhabitants once dried. I am not sure about inverts though, but I think that they should be okay because some people paint their visible plumbing with it.

John

looks like about 3-4.5lbs sand to me... mine sand level sits about like yours... does that 18wtt. current put out a good color?? i was thinking of getting the 36wtt dual model.. but now wondering if that is an overkill...l.

That's what I read on the spray paint can ... but I'm a bit hesitant ... what if something leached into the water? :scarry:

I used it to paint the acrylic dividers black for my fuge section in my 5.5g AIO & have had no issues at all.

Krylon Fusion has proven to be COMPLETELY safe for aquatic inhabitants once dried. I am not sure about inverts though, but I think that they should be okay because some people paint their visible plumbing with it.

John

+1

I'm on for the ride -- I get to see this daily too, since Bonsai and I are co-workers! :D I think he's secretly jealous of my Nanowave 9 that I'm setting up on my desk ;)

While I'm waiting for a cycle from this live rock ... here is another snapshot of the tank on my desk. This time, with the AC70 'fuge mod.

picoday4nw3.jpg

Came into the office this morning, which marks on week of this Picotope's life, and noticed two things:

1. I have to figure out an ATO solution or have a co-worker top off on weekends

2. My diatom bloom is in full effect. The rocks are covered in diatoms

3. I have some sort of macro algae that has bloomed off of the top rock, it looks like a 1' piece of chaeto so far

4. I might have to find a smaller impeller for the stock pump on the AC70

Archived