SaltCritters.com

An yone seen these?

The Propagator

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Use photobucket. Thats what everybody does I guess. I always just load them on the page but it doesn't look as good.
Oh ok. Now I just need to figure out how to take the sd card out.

Edit: this may take a while

Ok so I got my light

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html

Not a bad deal for $40

It is all plastic and it does only have 1 reflector.

Here are some light comparisons for you:

3x24w PC

2291904123_4b65184603_m.jpg

2292689106_6f58293049_m.jpg

2x24W T5HO

I would say the T5 looks brighter but I think this is due to a more blue look.

based on the shadows cast and the increase in shimmer I think the t5's are a bit brighter.

I am going to add one of the LED strips here to supplement more light and i am going to replace the single reflector with dual reflectors

Here's some other pictures for ya:

2292690056_cb9761b5c5.jpg?v=0

2291904327_456c3c00d2.jpg?v=0

2292691278_8fedd9af9f.jpg?v=0

2291904525_dabd1df200.jpg?v=0

2292691830_4b44229c54.jpg?v=0

2292691596_29f1b8a902.jpg?v=0

2291902957_35f3e62458.jpg?v=0

2291902415_ab7a027415.jpg?v=0

So there ya go now go buy one.........

I could use that enclosure to make one hell of a cool LED setup :P

That's what I was thinking. no fans though you would have to hack the top a bit for cooling.

other than that it is the perfect setup for LED

interesting. I didn't see a 20" version for the nano's...emailed them and asked them if one was forthcoming...Might be nice coupled with a 10k HQI...just toss actinics into the fixture... a thought anyway...

Some of you that have them, please post back as to any issues. I'm curious about the longevity of the light.

interesting. I didn't see a 20" version for the nano's...emailed them and asked them if one was forthcoming...Might be nice coupled with a 10k HQI...just toss actinics into the fixture... a thought anyway...

Some of you that have them, please post back as to any issues. I'm curious about the longevity of the light.

get the 24" my tank is 20" and it fits fine.

the legs can be moved in and out down the entire length of the light.

They look pretty interesting. Is that a parabolic reflector too? Any idea how you would cool the light tho? Oh well, I guess we'll get a review from Prop in a while.

They look pretty interesting. Is that a parabolic reflector too? Any idea how you would cool the light tho? Oh well, I guess we'll get a review from Prop in a while.

It doesn't need to be cooled my 4 lamp is just slightly warm to the touch.

Ditto, mine is slightly warm.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw how small the fixture was.

I am making some reflectors for it this week i will try to do a write up on it.

polishing aluminum is a biatch :P

The stock reflector is a single reflector *cheap and it would defiantly benefit from single reflectors.

with the light being so small there is only about a 1/4" dia of working room around the bulb for a reflector.

this leaves you with a break every 1/8" "not easy"

• 3 weeks later...
Ditto, mine is slightly warm.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw how small the fixture was.

I am making some reflectors for it this week i will try to do a write up on it.

polishing aluminum is a biatch :P

The stock reflector is a single reflector *cheap and it would defiantly benefit from single reflectors.

with the light being so small there is only about a 1/4" dia of working room around the bulb for a reflector.

this leaves you with a break every 1/8" "not easy"

Any updates? I'm interested in this light and it's mod-ability.

I ended up making a center piece to separate the single reflector that comes in it.

I made single reflectors but they have to be to small to fit and it leaves very little space between the bulb and reflector.

I just decided to make a V shape reflector and put it in between the bulbs.

I used aluminum tape over the aluminum V piece i made and left a bit hanging over the edge to secure it to the stock reflector. The stock reflector is also a stick on reflective material. another option would be to visit your local sign shop and get aluminum vinyl.

I'm sure this is not near as efficient as it could be but it is much better than it was stock and still like 75% less than other T5HO setups.

2351215710_8f9e30cf59.jpg?v=0

2351215546_1aeb70e454.jpg?v=0

2350383069_5deb95fcc5.jpg?v=0

2350383179_2e22b3ecf5.jpg?v=0

Got mine today, not bad for $35. def needs better bulbs and reflectors. Im using it for actinics so still cant beat $35 and it was shipped fast and packed well

disaster999

The light arrived this morning while on the way to school. I quickly set it up just to see if anything is broken or missing so I could contact the seller. The body is aluminum and seems pretty well made. The ballast is built in but doesnt seem to be too heavy. The legs for the light looked really cheap but it works and I dont see it falling off. The unit could use some better bulbs but I guess I'll live with it for now. I'll post some pictures tonight

Has anyone tried the metal halides they are selling? I'm thinking about ordering the 150w. It looks just like the aquamedic, but I'm sure the ballast and construction is probably poorer quality. For $125 it seems like worth a shot, though. I just hope it doesn't burn my house down! Here's the link:

150w Metal Halide

Neal

lilredneckman
Has anyone tried the metal halides they are selling? I'm thinking about ordering the 150w. It looks just like the aquamedic, but I'm sure the ballast and construction is probably poorer quality. For $125 it seems like worth a shot, though. I just hope it doesn't burn my house down! Here's the link:

150w Metal Halide

Neal

Bump!

Archived