Cultivated Reef

Deco kit ***new pics***

TheChosenReefer

TheChosenReefer

So today i got my deco kit. I dont have it set up yet i was dumb and didnt get my saltmix or rock. which now I regret. But anywho. I was wanting to ask wha should I stock it with. I am keeping all stock.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheChosenReefer

well last night I ran into a prob. The light fixture broke I was turung the knob to make it tighter and i turned i once and it broke so I am going to have to take it back. Unless you guys know somthign that wuill keep it up

TheChosenReefer

Working on it lol. Trying to get my mom to take me to walmart and get some batteries. the one we have for some reason doesn't like them take one pic and it dies. But I will try my hardest to get pics by tonight

TheChosenReefer

Got a question on this tank. I have a pound 1/2 in the tank should I go to the LFS and get another pound? Or does it look good to you guys.

Well most of the corals you buy will come mounted on rock so that'll prob be fine. I have the same tank that I set up about 4 weeks ago and put like 1lb of rock in it at first cause I knew the corals would come mounted.

constantocean

hey, in response to me side or back mounting the filter, It's on the side for now. Once i paint the back black I plan on moving it to the back tho. Like the others said, most of your corals will come mounted so you probably won't need much more rock. Maybe push your rocks to the back a little more tho before you start your permanent fixtures, They seem kind of close to the front of the tank, I moved mine towards the back today since I had done the same thing as you at first.

TheChosenReefer

Ya I noticed to seems to close to tank it was hard to take good pics because of that. ya for the last hour I have been eyeballing it askign my self do i need more rock or do i just need to re do the rock. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Also if i put the thermometer into the filter will I still get a good reading. Last question what should my temp be it is reading 75 is that good. Or will I need a small heater.

constantocean
Ya I noticed to seems to close to tank it was hard to take good pics because of that. ya for the last hour I have been eyeballing it askign my self do i need more rock or do i just need to re do the rock. Thanks for pointing it out for me. Also if i put the thermometer into the filter will I still get a good reading. Last question what should my temp be it is reading 75 is that good. Or will I need a small heater.

It's just a personal preference of mine to have a lot of rock, I like my tanks to look really filled in. I have a stick on thermometer on the outside of my filter to keep it out of site and I'm getting a fairly accurate reading seeing as how it's giving me the same reading as my digital does. I keep my tank at 77-78 degrees. Again, this is a preference, as most corals live in a range between 72 and 78 degrees. Since you are in range, as long as you continue to maintain 75, you should be okay. But if you start seeing a temp drop (maybe at night when the lights are off) you might want to invest in a small heater.

TheChosenReefer

Thank you. Do you think they sell any heater little enough to fit into our little filters. I think I seen some were a heater for pico and it is flat might work have to check it out. Ya about to turn lights off for tonight as I am going to bed so I will see how temp is when I wake up.Think this will work good in filter heater wise.http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?I...19&SID=NXTG

constantocean
Thank you. Do you think they sell any heater little enough to fit into our little filters. I think I seen some were a heater for pico and it is flat might work have to check it out. Ya about to turn lights off for tonight as I am going to bed so I will see how temp is when I wake up.Think this will work good in filter heater wise.http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?I...19&SID=NXTG

I was going to buy one of those before I managed to get my heater out of site, but now that it's hidden i think all is well. Those heaters say they boost the tank an average of 4 degrees, which would bring you up to 79. So I'd say that would most definitely work.

TheChosenReefer

Yap it is flat will fit perfect inside filter and hopefully I wont get bad readings with the thermometer being next to the heater. Any chance you see my DIY on the light fixture I was turing that little knob last night to make it tigh so the light wouldn't fall down and it broke I was so pissed. My dad said we can fix it with a bolt and screw so we went to the hardware store got both pieces for 75 cents. Fit perfect.

constantocean

didn't even notice the DIY. very nicely done. I'm thinking about building a little housing for my light because I am really nervous about breaking that thing and having it go falling into the tank, it's so poorly built. I think I'll probably take it off that clamp, build a little wood housing for it, and just screw the light cover into the top of the housing, kind of like a retrofit hood. I did this on my 30g and it worked out great, hope I'll have the same success here.

TheChosenReefer

Same here I have that lid on for two reasons falling in and my cat she licks water out of my beta bowl lol. But I was thinking of housing the whole tank maybe cherry finish.

constantocean
Same here I have that lid on for two reasons falling in and my cat she licks water out of my beta bowl lol. But I was thinking of housing the whole tank maybe cherry finish.

That would look super nice. I say go for it. maybe if you decide to move away from stock you can even build in a little refugium.

TheChosenReefer

well I plan on keeping stock for this tank. Saving money to get a 29g biocube. the going to keep the little one for a frag tank. and a sick bay for my fish. Ya I am thinking maybe Oak stained cherry lol won't match a thing in the living room but w/e.

constantocean
well I plan on keeping stock for this tank. Saving money to get a 29g biocube. the going to keep the little one for a frag tank. and a sick bay for my fish. Ya I am thinking maybe Oak stained cherry lol won't match a thing in the living room but w/e.

......move it to bedroom?

the 12G is in the living room here.

the 3G is on a bookshelf type deal I built a few years ago, it's a perfect fit (luckily, that wasn't planned)

I'm also thinking about buying the Current USA 18 watt PC fixture because it comes with a moonlight, not only will it be more secure over the tank, but it will be nice to fall asleep staring at the corals under the "moon"

p.s. one piece of my starbursts just opened. yay for the reef coming to life.

TheChosenReefer

Sweet. I kinda wish I asked for the deco tank for Christmas. But nope I asked for brand new wireless controllers for my 360. OH well sweet coral. Ya I was also kinda mad casue i couldnt see moon light lol

constantocean

i'm going to home depot today to pick up some scrap wood and some black paint to build myself a little light hood. maybe i'll attempt to leave enough room to stick a moonlight in there somewhere. i should post pics of it later so check it out!

Archived