ReefCleaners.org

Utopia in a Mason Jar

fraggle rockette

fraggle rockette

It has begun! :D

After several months of my 12g JBJ nano-cube, i have upgraded to a 24g Aquapod. I'm keeping the 70watt MH sunpod for it, and drilling an additional bulkhead on the opposite side for added flow, more than likely with both pumps on 15 minute timers or something for wave simulation, but we'll see. All the livestock from the 12g is going in here but should fit a lot better, and some of my rehab corals from my prop tank will be added as well. I'm also refinishing a cabinet I got for $20 to match the rest of my living room, and custom venting it for my chiller to sit in. Here are some before pics to get this thing started- any advice is always appreciated as I dive into plumbing and electrics- lol. Thanks to Nick at nanocustoms for talking me through my pod mod freakouts! :happy:

IMG_6137.jpg

tank being modded

IMG_6136.jpg

"before" shot of the lovely cabinet (and my first attempt ever at refinishing veneer!)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NICE!

"Utopia in a mason jar"... odd phrase for a california girl. If you tell me you're really a southern belle I may have to leave my woman for you. :flower:

NICE!

"Utopia in a mason jar"... odd phrase for a california girl. If you tell me you're really a southern belle I may have to leave my woman for you. :flower:

She's from TEH-JAS!

hey fraggle, didn't get to actually talk to you at the meet since it was so crowded, maybe at the bbq or next meet! anyhow, best of luck with your new tank. i'm upgrading soon myself! :D

keep us posted and let us know how things progress.

fraggle rockette
NICE!

haha no i's from texas (hence me owning power tools)... but i guess that's close enough ;)

Helfrichs Chick

Hey Fraggle you really from TX? I am too, TX chicks kics a$$

I may have to frag some of my rics once that thing is up and running. Its looks good so far.

fraggle rockette
hey fraggle, didn't get to actually talk to you at the meet since it was so crowded, maybe at the bbq or next meet! anyhow, best of luck with your new tank. i'm upgrading soon myself! :D

keep us posted and let us know how things progress.

please do! i felt so awkward at the last mns... if it hadn't been for matt and alex, i would've just been there staring at frags and mumbling to myself- lol. :P

Hey Fraggle you really from TX? I am too, TX chicks kics a$$

I may have to frag some of my rics once that thing is up and running. Its looks good so far.

that we do! we dont take nuthin frum nobuddy :)

and if you frag those rics HC, i will be the luckiest reefer ever :happy:

Texas is close enough for me :)

(Of course, Alaska would have been close enough for me too.)

Hey-

You look like you are off to a good start, keep it up. I am curious, what kinds of modifications do you plan on doing to the filtration system? I have an AP 12-gallon and was wondering what other mods people have done to these all-in-one tanks (aside from gutting them and replacing all the stock equipment).

Keep the updates and photos coming-

fraggle rockette
Hey-

You look like you are off to a good start, keep it up. I am curious, what kinds of modifications do you plan on doing to the filtration system? I have an AP 12-gallon and was wondering what other mods people have done to these all-in-one tanks (aside from gutting them and replacing all the stock equipment).

Keep the updates and photos coming-

i'm keeping the stock pump on one bulkhead and putting an MJ900 on the additional bulkhead. there's also another rio pump in there for the chiller- a lot of pumps!!! agh.

as far as filtration goes, i plan on taking out all the stock media, and just running a bag of carbon, a bag of live rock rubble, and some cheato (which i'll rinse out once a week- sort of surface skimmer but a little more effective imo). that and water changes... but we'll see as we go. ;)

Time for a cordless, I love my DeWalt 18v. ;) Great unvailing pics of the new tank though. I was like "EEK!" when I saw you had to unbox it to fit in your car. Stupid small Honda trunks, lol! It's ok though, I couldn't even fit my AP12 boxed up in my trunck when I bought it, lol! And my 30g tank, well Asin provided the vehicle to transport it thankfully!

Anywho, do you plan to use the loclines, and if not can I call dibs on them? :flower:

fraggle rockette
Time for a cordless, I love my DeWalt 18v. ;) Great unvailing pics of the new tank though. I was like "EEK!" when I saw you had to unbox it to fit in your car. Stupid small Honda trunks, lol! It's ok though, I couldn't even fit my AP12 boxed up in my trunck when I bought it, lol! And my 30g tank, well Asin provided the vehicle to transport it thankfully!

Anywho, do you plan to use the loclines, and if not can I call dibs on them? :flower:

you know, it didnt come with loclines and i had to go get some! lol. sorry, using every last segment... i do have a cordless btw :) - a liIon drill that's awesome, but it has a quick release chuck and with a drillsaw i decided that the corded one had better power and control over my little guy. ah well...

you know, it didnt come with loclines and i had to go get some! lol. sorry, using every last segment... i do have a cordless btw :) - a liIon drill that's awesome, but it has a quick release chuck and with a drillsaw i decided that the corded one had better power and control over my little guy. ah well...

A Lithium Ion power cordless?? I feel SOOO inadaquate now. :tears: I still love my DeWalt though, lol! :P

fraggle rockette
A Lithium Ion power cordless?? I feel SOOO inadaquate now. :tears: I still love my DeWalt though, lol! :P

shoot id trade you in a heartbeat! you have no idea how often im in HD and drooling over the dewalt tool packages... that's what i grew up using! maybe if i ever have a garage- lol.

So jealous...you're shooting hearts at Mr. A and drooling over Phixion's tool. It's enough to make a man feel left out. ;)

Damn you acd...how dare you beat me to the obvious line?!?!?!

shoot id trade you in a heartbeat! you have no idea how often im in HD and drooling over the dewalt tool packages... that's what i grew up using! maybe if i ever have a garage- lol.

I guess I lucked out. The g/f bought it for me for Christmas, and it was only $99 on sale (originally $250+) at HD and includes 2 battery packs. I seriously don't use it anywhere near as much as I should. But yeah, the DW packages are NICE!! And I only roll with Craftsman tool wise. ;) I should add the tool package I have for the drill is a Kawasaki one my parents bought me, lol! I wanted the DW one, ugh! Beggers can't be choosers I guess.... *le sigh*

fraggle rockette
So jealous...you're shooting hearts at Mr. A and drooling over Phixion's tool. It's enough to make a man feel left out. ;)

aw gator! i'm sure there are plenty of nice gals in alaska ;) haha.

back to the cabinetry! this will never get finished if i keep posting! lol.

Well knowing shes a little too old for me, I'm not saying it in that sense ;) I am jealous of the beautiful tanks she sets up... and the money she can put into them!!!

i hope your not sanding that by hand... how are you going to finish it? stain and seal, or paint?

Don't sand by hand. Best bet would be to get a heavy duty power sander, just rent one, and use that.

Archived