SaltCritters.com

How Did You Discover Nano Reef Keeping?

Christopher Marks

was told by my lfs that anything under 50 gallons was imposible so i had to prove them wrong fond this site then went back and made a huge seen when they told my little brother theyd give him a 2 dollor credit on a fish he bought from them less than a week before. chased off a couple of people two served them right though

I was looking for a "nano protien skimmer" for my NC 12. Found this and read Undrtheradar's wetworx thread. Took a few days to join but I'm looking around almost every day now.

Thanks to my wife! In 2001, then my wife was a girlfriend, I wanted to setup a reef tank but she was very much againt it. So i needed to find a reef tank that could ft on the shelf of my closet, and biggest tank I could get for that was Eclipse 6. Then rest is history!

I discovered nano reefkeeping thru the magazine 'CORAL' Vol1 Issue 2.Superb articles & photos! Also in this months 'Practical Fishkeeping', a Uk magazine, there is another good article. I have written to the editor asking for further details from the author. (he mentions this website as a good source of info!)

I currently do not have a'nano reef' but 60 litre marine tank with a small picasso trigger, 2 clowns, and an iris wrasse. and one lone hermit! The tank has been going for some time now.

i am still exploring the possibilties of setting up a nano reef tank so would be pleased to hear from members particularly any in the UK.

We do not seem to have the availability of 'kit' that you have in the USA..still looking! Dave

I have been scuba diving for over 26 years and always loved the Ocean. I have been all over the world from the Gulf, Mediterranean, Atlantic, Pacific, Red Sea, Carribbean & Indian Ocean in Africa. I have logged well over 160 dives, but only do recreational diving and seldom go below 100ft.

In the last few years, I have not been able to do as much diving. Last year, I went last year off the Florida panhandle, but that is not very good diving.

So I decided if I cannot get to a reef as much as I want, I'll bring the reef home.

I researched extensively on the internet and found nano-reef.com. I read a lot of threads and decided to buy a 24g nanocube. Now I am addicted and officially a reefgeek....

Was looking into getting a 90+ gallon tank. Was searching online and found Reefcentral's tank of the month page. I saw a picture of a 29 gallon tank and was astonished..... At that point it was over.... I could afford my little race car and a saltwater tank....

Next week went out and picked up my wife a 12 Nano. A month or so later ordered a 32 gallon m-tank, which is still cycling. Wife is already talking about setting up another 2-3 90 to 250 gallon saltwater tanks once we move. Of course, I want to try a pico later.....

I always like saltwater tanks but always assumed they were too expensive and hard to keep. Then I got a new job where all my coworkers had tanks and they told me it wasn't as hard and expensive as I believed. I did some searching online and found this place and now I'm horribly addicted. I can't stop thinking of new tank ideas, upgrading to a bigger better setup, etc but I absolutely love it.

right here!! and in 2001!! i'm an original.. by the way, i just looked up my old posts and want everyone who may have read them to know that i'm no longer a drunken idiot... just an idiot.. thanks

I originally bought 2 12g Nano Cubes as temporary tanks for my South American cichlids. I was planning on setting up a 75g high-tech planted dwarf cichlid setup, but since I was newly married and just getting settled, I figured the 2 Nano Cubes would tide me over until I had the time to set up the 75.

Well... as luck would have it.. I saw a beautiful Nano Cube set up at an LFS as a mini reef. I was so captivated by that little tank, and I knew that someday, I wanted to do that! I kept my FW Nano Cubes going for another year, until I had a major crash with one of them about two months ago. After some thought, I decided to convert it to a reef. But when I read about all the cracking issues, I bit the bullet and upgraded my plans to a 37g reef, which I'm in the process of starting now. :)

As for finding Nano-Reef.com? Just a lucky accident while searcing for Nano Cube in google. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had freshwater fish tanks for years and then decided to go into saltwater fishtanks..I had a 75 , and 20 gallon fish only up and running and then sold them and decided to go into reef tanks cause they were so interesting.. In 1982 I set up a 10 gallon reef tank , even tho I was told it was impossible by the local LFS..and every other LFS for that matter..Back then the only lighting I could put over it was a double flourescent which totalled 30 watts.. but the tank did fairly well . I only had mushrooms and pollups in it tho..and one clown fish.. I did weekly water changes of 1 gallon. I had that tank for 5 yrs before going bigger and bigger and then smaller again..It was funny to return to the local LFS every once in awhile to get something and tell them about the 10 gallon tank and just watch them scratch their heads .....They all said it was impossible ...but I had proof that it wasn't.... That was before anyone even coined the phrase "Nano Tank" Anyway I have been hooked ever since ....

Current Tanks:

18 gal Via Aqua 80 watt Orbit

6 gal Eclipse 26 Watts

2.5 gal MB 20 watts

2.7gal Lighthouse Pico 26 watts

10 gal AGA 70 watt MH

about 5 years ago my friend was setting up a 55 gal hex the lfs had a minibow setup as a nano reef and I had to have one a couple of years later I wandered into a lfs and came out with a small tank and big plans

Probably from my visits to my LFS, they always have some lovely displays. I started out with fresh, then I went to FO saltwater (I always viewed the corals as some sort of 'expert' animal that wasn't even close to my leauge), then I got a nano reef that the store help me set up, which was a disaster the 1st time because I was ignorant. Now I have a better knowledge about the care, but I still have algae :angry:

I honestly can't remember... But I do remember that what really made me get into this was seeing a photo of a xenia tank. It was the coolest thing ever, then I started a 15G and kept expanding.

P.S. This hobby is like crack, make my thousands of dollars come back!

I walked into LFS and was looking at their amazing tanks. And sitting on the little desk space where the fish gals do their work at was a 2.5g nano with two neon gobies, snails and a shrimp. I knew nothing of the Reefing concept, but i was just blown away by having something so small and so full of life. Everything i had read in the past had said you got to have big tanks to have saltwater. Now i am getting a 29g tank to give my danios a bit more room to swim. I am eyeballing the 10G seriously as a nano. I am also reading everything i can from you guys.

Hello. I`ve got a four foot freshwater and in a mag i get there was an article about nano`s loved them, so Im looking for info about them, I hope my tank will look as good as any of the ones i`ve seen. The measurements are in U.S gallons are they. Any tips on best equipment would be very handy

• 2 weeks later...
ClowningAround

Well i have always loved salwater tanks, but what really got me hooked was i was just finding info about clownfish and i stumbled across stealhair's 24g nanocube discussion and this website. I have been hooked for about a month now. I am planning stage of a mini bow 7gallon still doing research and finidng out information(as to stealhair's suggestion) im doing this as much as possible before i start...aslo saving up money! :lol: hopefully in about a month and a half im going to start it up :D

Pinrod Urkish

Well my first tank came in the form of a glass bowl and a beta, then a 1 gal hex with an under gravel filter and light (my beta was totally tricked out) and well after eight ten gal tanks and a 55 and a tricked out beta in the summer of '01 I was on a quest to bonsai every thing (unfortunately my underwear came under that quest too. bad memories! bad memories!) So I googled "bonsai tanks" and I strangely got results for "Bonsai reef tanks" I was totally flabbergasted. and not much later my beta jumped the gun and I saw an opportunity. In that little 1 gal hex I managed to have two hermits and some mushrooms for about 2yrs. That’s about the time when I found this website. And I saw all the cool ten gal tanks and I figured " heck I can do that too" However when I up graded one of my 10gal I failed to invest in proper equipment as well as lighting and lost my mushrooms and one of my hermits. So I gave up reef keeping except for my 55 (which got converted into a FOWLER) and went to the books to try to figure out why my reef tank crashed. To make a long story short my 55 (ONI BUCCA the dragon wrasse) and got better lights (but still not good enough) and I’m now constantly pushing the envelope of traditional SW fish keeping (which I don’t recommend unless you can accept a lot of loss)

So what would I do different? Well ask for MH lights every x-mas until I got them. Other than that I’d change nothing. My mistakes got me where I am as a person and as a livid fish enthusiast. and that little1gal hex is a Pico sitting next to the TV and guess which one gets stared at more? THE PICO!!!

Oh I forgot I got this little $5 zoo who managed survived every thing and well now every week there is a new polyp, This is an old picture now it's at least doubled post-4689-1135057024_thumb.jpg

i went into petco...love the bettas...but then my bros gf encouraged me to get a betta six months later i have a 12g SW tank almost going to get a 24g ticked out jbj NC DX 2006

scarf_ace1981

a fellow NRer posted pics of his nano set up on a cichlid forum and i decided to check this site out. i'm now planning my first reef 40br w/ 30g sump. the rest is history. i was always curious of SW set ups but thought they were too expensive(i was right). but after much reading and many questions later i decided it could be done. thanks NR. QUE VIVA NR!

fishybusiness

I followed SW right after FW. My cousin had a african cichlid tank, and I was hooked. When I took a visit to a LFS I saw all of these SW fish. As far as I knew I didn't think any place sold SW fish. Once I went in there I was really hooked. It became sorta my crack.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing a FO marine tank that belongs to a guy I work with I stopped by a lfs to look into what it would take to turn a 55 gal fresh water tank that he had into a marine fish tank, I came home with with a 12 gallon dx, salt, test kit, bag full of chemicals, premix water, and some live sand. Don't regret starting the hobby but wisht I'd found this site before I bought that Nano Cube.