ReefCleaners.org

How Did You Discover Nano Reef Keeping?

Christopher Marks

My first saltwater tank was a 30gal, mostly FOWLR, with tap water. I did keep some yellow polyps, a few mushroom corals, and I think a colt coral? But they only did okay, didn't really grow. I got rid of that years ago, my chronic fatigue was making it too hard to maintain.

Then I wandered into my favorite LFS because I was nearby, looked at all the pretty zooanthids, and started wondering. College dorm rules let me have a tank of up to 5 gallons, and zooanthids are pretty tiny. When I had my first tank up, I wasn't on this forum, and nobody in the circles I was in really kept anything tiny. Said it didn't work. But I figured, hey, tech must be better. So I asked the staff (who generally have good advice) if pico reefs were viable yet, and they said "yeah, sure". Backed it up with some fast research on my phone, and, hey, that's the start of a plan.

(edit) 
...ah, the downsides of that little sidebar of threads to check out. Apparently I'm a necromancer. Oh well.

• Haha 2