103 replies to this topic

SoCalJake

SoCalJake

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 21 Jul 2007
  • San Diego, CA

RO into cup, take cup to tank, pour cup in tank. Retina floats control the amount added.

coral sex turns me on

NanoNewb2011

NanoNewb2011

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 10 Apr 2011
Why spend the money on an ATO? When a dosing pump is about the same price and does much more?

I bought a bubble magus dosing pump, measured how much my tank evaps over a day and now dose that volume over 24 hours. I also gained 2 other channels to dose 2 part. All that for the price of most ATO. Got my bubble magus dosing pump on ebay for $250 new in box

As long as your light cyle stays the same and your house temps stay fairly constant your evap wont change. Been doing this for a lil over a month now and my tank stays steady at 1.026. I of course monitor my salinity to make sure im still dosing the right amount of RO but you'd want to do this with an ATO also just to make sure things are working as they should

Dont see the advantage of a stand alone ATO in most cases
Works for me

Edited by NanoNewb2011, 29 August 2012 - 10:41 PM.

nano_tank

nano_tank

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2010

Why spend the money on an ATO? When a dosing pump is about the same price and does much more?

I bought a bubble magus dosing pump, measured how much my tank evaps over a day and now dose that volume over 24 hours. I also gained 2 other channels to dose 2 part. All that for the price of most ATO. Got my bubble magus dosing pump on ebay for $250 new in box

As long as your light cyle stays the same and your house temps stay fairly constant your evap wont change. Been doing this for a lil over a month now and my tank stays steady at 1.026. I of course monitor my salinity to make sure im still dosing the right amount of RO but you'd want to do this with an ATO also just to make sure things are working as they should

Works for me

Beautiful tank bro!

nano_tank

nano_tank

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2010

Like this:

Posted Image

Here's a clearer view from an experiment to determine if diffusion from salt to fresh water can occur in this setup (it doesn't):

Posted Image

I've got more info. on this setup in my 'tank thread':

http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=172031

This one is my favorite and the most creative!! Love the simplicity.

NanoNewb2011

NanoNewb2011

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 10 Apr 2011

Beautiful tank bro!

Thanks, only 10 weeks old right now. Got alot more stuff to throw into it :)

patback

patback

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 8,219 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2011
  • Long island

Works for me

:huh: an ato is 150-200+bucks cheaper than what you paid for the doser depending on whether of not you go brand name. I'd rather pay less and rely on some float switches have to constantly check and recalibrate the dosed amount of water.
Which ato were you looking at that is this expensive if you don't mind me asking. I suppose if you needed a doser and had the available space it would be worth it, but not so in most nano reefers set ups.

chrssprngs

chrssprngs

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 8,736 posts
  • Joined 20 Feb 2010
Kent gravity feed for ATO and Kalk.

NanoNewb2011

NanoNewb2011

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 10 Apr 2011

:huh: an ato is 150-200+bucks cheaper than what you paid for the doser depending on whether of not you go brand name. I'd rather pay less and rely on some float switches have to constantly check and recalibrate the dosed amount of water.
Which ato were you looking at that is this expensive if you don't mind me asking. I suppose if you needed a doser and had the available space it would be worth it, but not so in most nano reefers set ups.

I was looking at the SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off
On BRS

The tunze osmolator is also $200+. What ATO are you getting for 200 bucks cheaper then my $250 bubble magus? Thats an ATO for $50. I see people lecturing people in this hobby that you get what you pay for and see that same reason used for alot of people to spend the money on the "brand name" ATOs. So my point was instead of paying $200 plus for an ATO I thought it better to get a doser.

I dont have to constantly be calibrating the doser? I just check my salinity frequently to make sure everything is spot on. I havnt changed my doser settings since i set it up 5 weeks ago and my salinity is stable. I just like to check it frequently because thats how I am. Checking with a refracto takes 10 secs. Better to check then to have livestock die because I didnt catch something that I could have :) (which I'd do the same if I had an ATO)

I guess I should have said if your looking at a high end ATO consider getting a doser instead

Edited by NanoNewb2011, 30 August 2012 - 06:38 PM.

MeepNand

MeepNand

Journeyman Tinker

• Members
  • 4,751 posts
  • Joined 06 Jun 2011
  • Cupertino, CA
I would love to get an ATO, but I use a carlson surge that literally takes out 1/4 of the water and pours it back in. Most ATOs are float switch powered, and those that rely on drips and timers are too unpredictable to trust. So I do a manual top off each day. Most reliable method IMO.

Programming needed? Ask me for free!

Now with Eagle PCB design skills. See a good led driver IC?

Typhon reprogrammed- bell curve dimming!

Touchscreen LED Controller

Cree 4 channel MCPCB

I tell you these Mexicans work very hard for cheap

JamesHL88

JamesHL88

o.Oż?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 21 Dec 2011
I.top.off.like.po.folk.i.pours.it.wis.my.hanes. stfu so bored

patback

patback

Nano Reefer

• Premium Members
  • 8,219 posts
  • Joined 11 Aug 2011
  • Long island

I was looking at the SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off
On BRS

The tunze osmolator is also $200+. What ATO are you getting for 200 bucks cheaper then my $250 bubble magus? Thats an ATO for $50. I see people lecturing people in this hobby that you get what you pay for and see that same reason used for alot of people to spend the money on the "brand name" ATOs. So my point was instead of paying $200 plus for an ATO I thought it better to get a doser.

I dont have to constantly be calibrating the doser? I just check my salinity frequently to make sure everything is spot on. I havnt changed my doser settings since i set it up 5 weeks ago and my salinity is stable. I just like to check it frequently because thats how I am. Checking with a refracto takes 10 secs. Better to check then to have livestock die because I didnt catch something that I could have :) (which I'd do the same if I had an ATO)

I guess I should have said if your looking at a high end ATO consider getting a doser instead

100 bucks
http://www.bulkreefs...to-top-off.html

100 bucks
http://www.bulkreefs...controller.html

Easy DIY for under 40
http://www.bulkreefs...it-premium.html

What I meant by checking daily is that a Doser will not discriminate against evaporation or over flowing. It is set to what you tell it to, so if today is 90* and a dry heat, when a rainy storm passes over and cools everything down and brings humidity, there will be a HUGE difference in evaporated water. Sometimes I find myself putting over half a gallon of water into my 10 gallon a day, and other times 1 gallon lasts me almost all week.

I also top off like a poor person, distilled jug into the ac70 to let it mix about before hitting the corals.

JamesHL88

JamesHL88

o.Oż?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 21 Dec 2011
A diy gravity vacuum style ato made out of a glass jar is the easiest, most reliable (with no moving parts), and cheapest (around $20) style of ato out there. Thats what im gonna go with once get up.off.my.po.folk.ass.........so bored :(

dormreefer

dormreefer

College Reefer

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 15 Aug 2012
  • Orlando, FL
Avast ATO currently a 1 gallon reservoir, I will probably get a 2 gallon one soon!

baldbean

baldbean

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Joined 05 Sep 2011
  • San Diego
50 mL/min BRS dosing pump controlled by an apex jr and salinity probe.

Edited by baldbean, 16 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

I<3SPS

I<3SPS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 07 Aug 2012
  • Athens, Georgia
Top off by hand

Posted Image

Deleted User 3

Deleted User 3

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,672 posts
  • Joined 30 Apr 2012
I forget to top off... i have about a good 1.5 inches to top off right now. Usually I just mix water w/ salt in a bucket and pour as much as will fit back in if the salt is right, otherwise I just top off with a jug of distilled.

MikeTR

MikeTR

Not so Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 4,936 posts
  • Joined 19 May 2009
  • SW FL
Ran 75 ft of tubing through the attic and using a UPLC to pull it over from the garage. Going to measure the amount of time it takes to top off 2 gallons and then program my apex to turn it on for that lenght of time. That combined with the pressure tube and float switch and float valve, i should have enough fail safes. There will be an unlimited supply of RO/DI.. well at least 40 gallons worth, enough to cause a flood.

slickwill613

slickwill613

United we bargain, divided we beg.

• Banned by Moderators
  • 939 posts
  • Joined 08 Apr 2012
  • Dawsonville, GA

I forget to top off... i have about a good 1.5 inches to top off right now. Usually I just mix water w/ salt in a bucket and pour as much as will fit back in if the salt is right, otherwise I just top off with a jug of distilled.

Wait, you top off with salt water? Is your salinity through the roof?
In Brotherhood, Everyone Wins

YankeePete

YankeePete

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Joined 11 Jan 2009
  • Charlotte,NC

Wait, you top off with salt water? Is your salinity through the roof?

+1

Fragger

Fragger

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 01 May 2012
  • California
http://www.marinedep...IDPETPU-vi.html

I use an auto top off I got from marinedepot. its on sale now for $79. I got if for $99 months ago.

and use toms aquatics pump works great $20

http://www.marinedep...-FIOFOA-vi.html

i cant imagine how I had to put 7 cups everyday. Soo much easier now.

wizardslovak

wizardslovak

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 03 Sep 2012
just get float switch

http://www.amazon.co...ds=float switch

pump

http://www.amazon.co...rds=aqua lifter

tubing

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=tubing

container for fresh water .. got one 2gall from 99 c store ..

its easily made and u can find lots of StepbSteps or DIY online if you dont know how to connect them ..

Tamberav

Tamberav

Reef Nerd

• Members
  • 7,868 posts
  • Joined 20 Feb 2008
  • Duluth, MN
Randomly by hand after testing salinity

Edited by Tamberav, 30 November 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Sig1_zps056e918e.jpgsig2_zpsb5c9da97.jpg

Sig33_zpsaa2acac5.jpg

40 Breeder build (retired)

10g freshwater planted

Youngrvt

Youngrvt

Reg. Vet Tech

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Joined 11 Dec 2012
  • Ohio

I don't top off, kinda new to this. At least new to doing it right I guess. I do weekly water changes at 2 gallons on a 12g nc. I haven't noticed much evaporation. I don't add any water in-between. 

Purplemonkey

Purplemonkey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 04 Jun 2011

Tunze osmolator

d0lph1n

d0lph1n

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 840 posts