Christopher Marks

How do you "top-off" your nano reef?

yoshiod9   

daily by hand...but i'm probably going to be buying physh1's ato system sometime soon here.

Kogut   

By hand. I'm going to get the system in May... Need it badly w/ the MH.

Cesar   

By hand as well. I need an auto top off thingy. I think I will install one when I do my 60 gallon tank.

aaronfmd   

just built my DIY auto top off over the weekend. Will post pics soon for nano cube owners.

Steve973   

I do it by hand, mostly in the morning and at night, if I'm around to do that. I'd love to get an auto-topoff system, but I'm not sure if i'll get that before I add a sump. I'd rather not have the float switch in the main tank.

kabal2   

i have 4 fish tanks so i used both methods, lol but building my top off sistems for everything is much easier

by hand, evaporation seems to vary for me from day to day, so daly i take Specific gravity readings and add freshwater accordingly

oogie   

i use auto top off thingy called "my wife"!b

ODOG   

Top off by hand in morning before work and at night when I get home.

My 2.5G doesn't need top-off more than every other week, so I do it whenever it looks low. My glass lid helps a whole lot for evaporation prevention.

• Like 1

regius34   

Right now I do it by hand. When I upgrade to the 40 I plan to eventually add some type of auto-topoff system

Travis   

I love my auto-top off system, I don't know how I got by with out one before :P

dymaxiun   

Everyone seems to mention that they all have "auto-top off's" but nobody metions which one they have or if they made it themselves.. that is the information this thread really needs...

2k3sgm   

I use a float switch, battery powered air pump and two 2 liter bottles linked together. It's a nice piece of mind knowing that during these dry winter months the odds of my sump pump running dry while I'm at work are greatly reduced. Until I put a cover on my sump I would go through a 2 liter a day!

afiser   

lookin low better flow sime more water in

Travis   

Mine is soe one of a DIYer. I have a maxi-jet 900 that pumps the water in when the floatswitch gets low. Salty Dawg made the snail gaurd and bracket for the float switch.

dymaxiun   

I am considering taking on this project this weekend. Where whould i obtain this siad "Float Switch" I think i can manage getting the rest of it together.

i used to have a float switch untill the damn thing stuck and flooded my kitchen. now i dont trust the thing. it still does my topoffs though when i plug it in

jeepjon   

I have an auto top off....but I'm too lazy to install it,but I'm not lazy enough to top off everyday...go figure.

topjimmy   

5 gal water carboy, grainger float, air pump.

Can't get any easier.

Later

JimC