Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tristan's Reefer Nano

TristanC

Nothing fancy like your system. Just an 11 gallon rimless tank. My apartment lease limits the size of aquariums I can have. So towards the end of the year I think I'm gonna move out and upgrade. :D

Haha hey 11g is still a good amount of tank to play with. Sounds like a good plan, then I'll have another reefer tank to follow haha.
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just talked to Dan at gulfliverock, my package should be shipped today so I can finally get this cycle started this week. This wait is killing me...

Red_Blenny

Just talked to Dan at gulfliverock, my package should be shipped today so I can finally get this cycle started this week. This wait is killing me...

One thing I love about this hobby is playing with rocks/aquascaping. I've been thinking about getting shipped LR for my upgrade one day but I'm deathly afraid of getting invasive algae.

blizzardscout2

My favorite upgrade I ever made was my Kessil A350. It just works and I love the control of the intensity and spectrum. So simple. Plus I keep my tank in a gap between the stairs so it lights up my entire entry way, stairwell, and loft with a beautiful shimmer. Oh and the corals love it.... :D

One thing I love about this hobby is playing with rocks/aquascaping. I've been thinking about getting shipped LR for my upgrade one day but I'm deathly afraid of getting invasive algae.

Trust me I'm having anxiety about it and I don't even have the rock yet haha. I've never started a tank with premium LR and I've always been really interested in it so I figured why not. My biggest fears are bryopsis and aptasia, let's hope I don't find either.

I have 15lbs of reefcleaners dry rock to play with too so if I can't get it just right with the lr I can supplement with the dry. I'm excited to get it going.

My favorite upgrade I ever made was my Kessil A350. It just works and I love the control of the intensity and spectrum. So simple. Plus I keep my tank in a gap between the stairs so it lights up my entire entry way, stairwell, and loft with a beautiful shimmer. Oh and the corals love it.... :D

I LOVE the kessil, I can't get over the shimmer it's unbelievable. I've had an AI and a Razor but the kessil blows them both out of the water in terms of natural looking shimmer.
Red_Blenny

Trust me I'm having anxiety about it and I don't even have the rock yet haha. I've never started a tank with premium LR and I've always been really interested in it so I figured why not. My biggest fears are bryopsis and aptasia, let's hope I don't find either.

Super glue + Purple Epoxy = How I killed off Bryopsis/Gelidium/Aptasia in my tank.

Still, those getting Gulf LR will let you have all those new pods/sponges/inverts that we rarely see. I remember I spent hours with a flashlight in the dark looking for random critters (and spending additional hours researching what they are...)

Super glue + Purple Epoxy = How I killed off Bryopsis/Gelidium/Aptasia in my tank.

Still, those getting Gulf LR will let you have all those new pods/sponges/inverts that we rarely see. I remember I spent hours with a flashlight in the dark looking for random critters (and spending additional hours researching what they are...)

Thanks for the tip, ill keep that in mind.

I know it will be worth it, I am truly excited to see what this rock brings. Speaking of which, it should be here today!

Have_A_Beer

Looking good so far. I've heard and seen good things about the GulfLR, hopefully it turns out well for you. You're sure to have some interesting hitchikers that you'd never get otherwise!

Looking good so far. I've heard and seen good things about the GulfLR, hopefully it turns out well for you. You're sure to have some interesting hitchikers that you'd never get otherwise!

Thank you! That's what I'm thinking as well, better or worse I'll definitely have some diversity in my tank.

Im kinda bummed out. I placed my order with gulfliverock last wednesday, on monday I spoke with him and he said it would be going out that day. Well its thursday now and still nothing. I know it will be worth it when it gets here but without a tracking number or shipment notification I have no idea when to expect it. I just want to start this damn cycle!!

Im kinda bummed out. I placed my order with gulfliverock last wednesday, on monday I spoke with him and he said it would be going out that day. Well its thursday now and still nothing. I know it will be worth it when it gets here but without a tracking number or shipment notification I have no idea when to expect it. I just want to start this damn cycle!!

Oh man, I feel you. So annoying when that happens. :(

Red_Blenny

That blows. If gulfliverock doesn't ship your live rocks, I'd say you should try Atlantic Reef Conservation; they guarantee their rocks to be free of aiptasia and they have a 100% unconditional lifetime warranty (which is pretty weird to see on LR).

Another update on my rock. Called them today as none of my emails were being answered. Well he can't tell if and when they went out. Can't find anything on the usps site either so I'm assuming they never got shipped. If they don't come tomorrow I can pretty much garantee they never left which sucks. Oh well it happens I guess. Gulfliverock always has such stellar reviews which was in part why I went with them. I understand these things happen but I just wish it wasn't my first time ordering that it did.

Another update on my rock. Called them today as none of my emails were being answered. Well he can't tell if and when they went out. Can't find anything on the usps site either so I'm assuming they never got shipped. If they don't come tomorrow I can pretty much garantee they never left which sucks. Oh well it happens I guess. Gulfliverock always has such stellar reviews which was in part why I went with them. I understand these things happen but I just wish it wasn't my first time ordering that it did.

Shit happens, but it's how they deal with it that matters. I had a recent experience with order corals and shipping issues, and it was not dealt with well, so I simply don't shop there. Simple as that.

I hope they can make it right. You have a right to be pissed. I'm guessing you set time aside just for this, and now that's out the window, you have to make other sacrifices because of it.

/rant

On a happier note, you have lots of time to research! Tell us your plans for livestock, fish etc! :D

Shit happens, but it's how they deal with it that matters. I had a recent experience with order corals and shipping issues, and it was not dealt with well, so I simply don't shop there. Simple as that.

I hope they can make it right. You have a right to be pissed. I'm guessing you set time aside just for this, and now that's out the window, you have to make other sacrifices because of it.

/rant

On a happier note, you have lots of time to research! Tell us your plans for livestock, fish etc! :D

I'm a little bummed but I understand this kind of shit happens. Dan told me he would send out a new package if this one didn't make it out or it got lost, I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for the gulfliverock or put an order in with kpaquatics like I originally intended. They are a little more expensive but they overnight the rocks so the die off is much less. They also advertise their rock to be aptasia free... Decisions, decisions.

Dang, that's frustrating about the live rock shipment. I've heard good things about gulf rock, but if those rocks got shipped and haven't shown up yet, they're not going to be in good shape when they get there. Hopefully they just didn't go out and they can get shipped next week.

I just placed an order wit KPA myself, because I wanted to get them overnight. I'm going to combine 75% dry rock with 25% live rock.

welcome back. glad you got the reefer.

Thank you! Your tank is gorgeous, very well done. I really love the tank, it looks amazing and seems to be well built.

Dang, that's frustrating about the live rock shipment. I've heard good things about gulf rock, but if those rocks got shipped and haven't shown up yet, they're not going to be in good shape when they get there. Hopefully they just didn't go out and they can get shipped next week.

I just placed an order wit KPA myself, because I wanted to get them overnight. I'm going to combine 75% dry rock with 25% live rock.

Yeah it's a bummer. He can't find record of them being shipped so it's looking like my order didn't make it out. I'm really leaning toward KPA, I'll pay the extra to have it overnighted it's worth it. When you get the rock post pictures, I'd like to see what you get.

Thank you! Your tank is gorgeous, very well done. I really love the tank, it looks amazing and seems to be well built.

Yeah it's a bummer. He can't find record of them being shipped so it's looking like my order didn't make it out. I'm really leaning toward KPA, I'll pay the extra to have it overnighted it's worth it. When you get the rock post pictures, I'd like to see what you get.

I will! If you check the beginning of my 10g thread in my signature, there are pictures of the same kind of overnight KPA order that i got back then,too.

I really considered gulf live rock this go round just because so many people have been so happy with their rock, but I've dealt with KPA many times over the years and they've always been great.

I will! If you check the beginning of my 10g thread in my signature, there are pictures of the same kind of overnight KPA order that i got back then,too.

I really considered gulf live rock this go round just because so many people have been so happy with their rock, but I've dealt with KPA many times over the years and they've always been great.

Haha how funny I didn't even make the connection, the rock you started your 10g with is how I found out about kpaquatics. I read your thread and loved how the tank turned out.

Alright guys I went with kpaquatics after all. Rock is scheduled to be shipped Monday for a Tuesday delivery. I can wait to get this thing going.

Archived