SaltCritters.com

Reefer 250 (new photos 4/14)

davy jones

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any magnets in your tank? are they rusty? and exposed metal that could be rusty?

Never thought of that.. There are a couple magnets in the tank. 2 little fishes algae clip, and a magnet thermometor. then just the wetside of the mp10 and mp40. What does rust do to the tank that i should be worried about?

Never thought of that.. There are a couple magnets in the tank. 2 little fishes algae clip, and a magnet thermometor. then just the wetside of the mp10 and mp40. What does rust do to the tank that i should be worried about?

it really depends on what is in the metal that is rusting.

when its rusting its leeching unknown metals into the water, which could impact the health of your coral.

it really depends on what is in the metal that is rusting.

when its rusting its leeching unknown metals into the water, which could impact the health of your coral.

I will remove the magnets from the tank! (other than the vortechs of course.)

I am renting a par meter this week to test that as well.

I also think there is a slim chance that one of or both of my heaters are leaking voltage into the tank, but i again will have a voltemotor to test this week as well.

Sps decline fast but takes a long time to recover. I say if some corals are doing great, just keep things stable and don't try to change too much.

Are you feeding coral food?

I sometimes do Acropower and sometimes do Red sea Reef energy A+B.

im pretty sure they are just amino acids and stuff. I might order some reef roids to give a shot.

I think im gonna prune the dead and dying tonight and maybe just pull anything thats more than 75% gone..

I sometimes do Acropower and sometimes do Red sea Reef energy A+B.

im pretty sure they are just amino acids and stuff. I might order some reef roids to give a shot.

I think im gonna prune the dead and dying tonight and maybe just pull anything thats more than 75% gone..

I can send you a baggie of roids to try, where you at?

I can send you a baggie of roids to try, where you at?

You have SPs declining, what about LPS, a while back those weren't doing well.

That would be awesome! 55416 Minnesota, Shoot me a pm with whatever else you need and the rest of the info!

My lps seem to be doing fine at this point, both of my hammer corals recovered nicely and have expanded larger than ive ever seen them however i dont think there is any new growth or expansion of tissue. On the stalks of the hammers where there is no flesh looks like some type of sponge has grown. It doesnt look to be damaging the flesh thats there however there is no room for the flesh to grow farther down the stalk.

My duncans are growing heads like crazy, my acans are growing heads, and the rest of the stuff is looking good. Although i have taken to spot feeding my lps about once or twice a week with table shrimp chunks or mysis shrimp.

• 1 month later...
davy jones

The tank move is complete! so far no losses other than a duncan that was already on its way out after being burried in sand over a weekend thanks to my pistol shrimp and goby that are no longer in the tank. Still have a lot of stuff to setup like the dos and connect the apex to the network and all that fun stuff again but life support systems are up and running!

Decided to go bare bottom for a while to help with all the issues it has been having. This way when i do my waterchanges i can see and suck up everything that has settled on the bottom.

Dosed some Dr. Tims one and only right after setup to help buffer the bacteria population as removing the sandbed likely removed a portion of the biofilter as well as im sure there was a little die off on the rocks during all this. Will do a 15 gallon waterchange this week sometime as well to help with everything.

And now to a couple of quick pictures, nothing special just snapped them last night.

20160523_210544_zpsdjpfy41q.jpg
20160523_203755_zpspjtu9eal.jpg

Excuse the mess..

davy jones

Nice! Bet that feels like a huge relief.

Welcome to Plymouth

Thats an understatement. It sucked having to go to the apartment to check on the tank every day.

Thanks! love it so far! How is the water here? do we have chlorine or chlorimines do you know?

Thats an understatement. It sucked having to go to the apartment to check on the tank every day.

Thanks! love it so far! How is the water here? do we have chlorine or chlorimines do you know?

No clue. I use a 4 stage BRS RO/DI system. I've been out here for 6 months and havent had any issue.

davy jones

No clue. I use a 4 stage BRS RO/DI system. I've been out here for 6 months and havent had any issue.

Same unit i use. Hopefully ill get the same success you do with the new water lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update!

Did some testing yesterday as everything is looking really good (first time in a long time) and im happy with the results. So far going bare bottom, and dosing Zeobak, Dr. Tims one and only and NoPox occasionally has done a phenomenal job at keeping things in check. All of my damaged SPS have fully grown over the dead portions, the ones that didnt get damaged are growing at a very nice pace! I am getting new heads on the hammer corals finally and they are filling out nicely. Colors are very nice on everything but the SSC, right now its just a solid pink color. I think it needs more par but im bleaching my green mushrooms right now as it is so it will have to wait a little longer. It is encrusting nicely however.

I have 4 RBTA's because one split 3 times and they are all looking very nice although some days i think they might be getting smaller and shrinking? Could be my imagination.

Finally i bought a AlgaeFree Hammerhead plus cleaning magnet from BRS $80... ouch. But it is phenomenal. Never had a cleaning magnet perform this well.

Test results!

Cal @ 425ppm Red sea

Alk at 8.8dKh Hanna Checker

Alk at 8.6dKh Red sea

Mag @ 1400ppm Red Sea

Phosphate at 0.00 Hanna Checker (I usually like it a little higher, but everything is doing awesome so im not gonna complain!)

Will post pictures tomorrow after my waterchange

• 4 weeks later...

Little bit of a rearrange of the right side, and purchased a 6 line and a coral beauty last night! Hoping the CB doesnt nip at anything, would make me a sad panda. No photos for now but i should have some in the next day or 2!

Looking forward to the pics. Where did you get the fish from??

I got them both from Saltwater Empire in Bloomington. Ive had really good luck with them so far.

Photo dump! Please excuse the build up on the bottom of the tank, today is waterchange day and i took the pics last night. Also, i apoligize as i am not a photographer, these are all just taken on my cell phone with no editing or filters, so im sure if i took PS or Lightroom to the pics to touch them up they would look better but alas, i dont have the time lol I could not get a single decent picture of the new CB, it stays to the shadows pretty well and my cell then has a hard time picking it up. It is a wonderfully dark blue with just a hint of orange on the side and a bright orange bottom.

Enough talking, pictures!

20160817_175549_zpskambptin.jpg20160817_175605_zpsdwkwmavk.jpg20160817_175608_zpsjafnq7bk.jpg20160817_191911_zpsuxssuqud.jpg20160817_191919_zps3bbxkqur.jpg20160817_191925_zpsab3okb01.jpg20160817_191935_zpso8lytbbe.jpg20160817_191943_zpszszkjv0u.jpg20160817_191959_zpsfq4elwbk.jpg20160817_192012_zps6rncsbor.jpg20160817_192023_zpslzqcbnlf.jpg20160817_192054_zpsnu4huq6m.jpg20160817_192102_zpskhlesxkm.jpg20160817_192213_zpsrm3bnyvy.jpg

• 2 months later...

updates?

Will try to take pics this weekend and make a post, had some ups and downs, so itll be a long one! Congrats on the TOTM btw, yours looks amazing!

• 4 weeks later...

Tank had some ups and downs as i said, For some reason i had a couple sps that just started to STN, and kept on going. I tested everything and nothing showed out of whack, Did some larger waterchanges and they didnt improve. I lost my green slimer, and my new ora pearl berry frag as well as my purple stylo was losing polyps but is doing better-ish now. However all my other corals are doing great so idk what the issue was. Honestly i think it was flow related cause it was on that half of the tank that they werent happy. Anywhoo here are some pictures. Just went to a fragswap from my local club and picked up some new eye candy! Enjoy my shitty cell pictures lol

20161119_162331_zps8ap2bc3f.jpg

20161119_162051_zps24xgwxpf.jpg

20161119_162107_zpsa1fy61jd.jpg

20161119_162211_zpsvg54syy8.jpg

20161119_162242_zps8vuemkod.jpg

20161119_170319_zpsbpstma2g.jpg

20161119_170343_zps17u9blas.jpg

Archived