Innovative Marine Aquariums

300g Brackish Cichlid tank: new pump

HarryPotter

On 8/20/2015 at 4:20 PM, Harryjsinger said:

The NanoCube/Cichlids Growout (where I put and grow the babies before I sell them) uses pieces that are 2 inches by 1 inch lol. Tiny

DFFE5CDC-DD2F-4C1E-9414-DE4BFF99A086_zps

Yeah that is small you cut them to that size? And I didn't know you sell them? I have a few in my Mom's 55 gallon tank she loves them. If I need some nice looking ones I know where to go.

Yeah that is small you cut them to that size? And I didn't know you sell them? I have a few in my Mom's 55 gallon tank she loves them. If I need some nice looking ones I know where to go.

Yep hand cut them :)

TBH the fish store gives me like $2 each lol- so in a month or two when these are ready I could help you out with a handful of different types free of charge. I even have pleco catfish breeding in there!

There are so many babies in the 300g that I just pick out the ones I like, and leave the rest for natural selection!

Yep hand cut them :)

TBH the fish store gives me like $2 each lol- so in a month or two when these are ready I could help you out with a handful of different types free of charge. I even have pleco catfish breeding in there!

There are so many babies in the 300g that I just pick out the ones I like, and leave the rest for natural selection!

Nice !!! Yeah that would be nice pick out some nice ones, and ill at least give you something for doing me the favor.

Custom InTank filter floss arrived- 25 sheets of perfectly cut 14x22 poly-floss!!!!

InTank is pretty great. It was a quick easy interaction for this custom work, and price was right :)

215549B3-07DE-4075-85BF-5EB7B8545F2D_zps

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is going well. Still recovering, slowly but steadily.

Ive been doing zero water changes because the hose water has a VERY high TDS and phosphate reading. So just feeding normally, mixing up sand occasionally, and the new filter floss.

AE4CA9B3-64E9-4F09-8D5C-AA7C5E3310F3_zps

• Like 2

Are you a millionaire or something? A beautiful and huge tank. In my dreams!!! Maybe when my husband gets his next bonus in our new house lol.

This was $1000 on craigslist a few years ago ;)

Crazy setup. Lady was moving and had to get rid of her reef. The LFS took the contents but didn't want to transfer the tank. $1000 for the tank and half a grand for transportation! :)

Dude turn that thing into a reef tank! Put some Bamboo sharks in along with some other preds, would be hella sweet!

Haha I wish! Parents already don't like the time I spend on my "Tiny" 45 gallon reef!

Haha I wish! Parents already don't like the time I spend on my "Tiny" 45 gallon reef!

Just tell them the bigger the reef the less time you'll have to spend on it because you can make it fully automated.......worth a shot.

• Like 1

Just tell them the bigger the reef the less time you'll have to spend on it because you can make it fully automated.......worth a shot.

You sponsoring the transition? Lol

Actually it would be pretty easy. The tank is reef ready- had reef-spec lighting and fukteration already.

It would be a PITA though. 30" deep dude! Plus there are a lot of scratches that I'm too OCD to deal with haha.

You sponsoring the transition? Lol

Actually it would be pretty easy. The tank is reef ready- had reef-spec lighting and fukteration already.

It would be a PITA though. 30" deep dude! Plus there are a lot of scratches that I'm too OCD to deal with haha.

Can't be that much of a pain if you already have it running for years with Cichlid's. Scratches give it character, especially with sharks, you can say they tried to bite through the glass. And it's reef ready already and you have lighting. All I'm hearing are the positives and reasons you should go to a reef system!

Look you can get these for a good buy! http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+41Get the eggs and once they hatch you can bond with them and train them!

Can't be that much of a pain if you already have it running for years with Cichlid's. Scratches give it character, especially with sharks, you can say they tried to bite through the glass. And it's reef ready already and you have lighting. All I'm hearing are the positives and reasons you should go to a reef system!

Look you can get these for a good buy! http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+41Get the eggs and once they hatch you can bond with them and train them!

They get 4' long? Lmao the tank is only 8 feet long... Might not work!

They get 4' long? Lmao the tank is only 8 feet long... Might not work!

ok so now that you agree to upgrade it's just the stocking that you need to figure out. You could do 500 Chromis, have a massive school of them then drop in a half starved baby shark!

• 2 weeks later...

Algae is going down, but water is hazy. No particles floating since the Poly-Floss, but there is something opaque in the water.

Any ideas? Its like a slight bacteria bloom.. Constant throughout the tank.

I love your African cichlid tank. If they are breeding all over the place and you have plecostamus' breeding I wouldn't change it. And your being able to have fry grow up without your intervention, that's definitely something to be proud of.

On 9/19/2015 at 11:11 AM, Hammerstone said:

I love your African cichlid tank. If they are breeding all over the place and you have plecostamus' breeding I wouldn't change it. And your being able to have fry grow up without your intervention, that's definitely something to be proud of.

They breed like mad! Sometimes I'll siphon out a few babies and stick them in the nanocube :)

830D448F-7D7A-4D16-88FF-61711CD647E6_zps

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

The Poly-Floss is doing wonders. There is almost no more floating stuff, and the water is pretty clear.

I had to use some Metronidazole soaked food after observing cloudy eyes earlier this month, and that worked well.

Heres a quick photo of them gathering as I walked by :)

7B57BFC2-1F49-4202-A017-A13DA0A2A58C_zps

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Long time no post!

So overall its been getting better, less algae and fish are mostly fine and breeding yet some disease is apparent. However there is a MAJOR bacterial bloom and some cichlids are constantly getting bacterial diseases, so I installed a UV sterilizer today. I am running it on the upper end of the GPH recommendation for now but will reduce it soon enough

A03876D0-835E-4C5E-9377-B68F521FF4C1_zps

Off topic and I probably already said it but I love your tank. I love that they are breeding. So cool. Sorry about your problems you've been having. Wishing you good luck!!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
jamescstein

5 months later....

Fish hiding or have you reduced the number in the tank? Used to have a 60 gallon cichlid tank. Loved those buggers. Bred like crazy as well. So much easier than breeding saltwater fish ;)