Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Snow's Mantis Menagerie - Losing everyone.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snow_Phoenix

Freya sealed off all her cavities last night with some rubble and loose coral pieces. I peeked today at the tank and none of the exits seemed to be tampered with, so I'm assuming she's still in her burrow. Should I be concerned that she's not coming out? She did steal a small piece of raw chopped shrimp on a wooden stick that I gave her yesterday, and hid it in her cave, but now I'm a little worried that the food will rot in there and pollute the water. :unsure:

Is it possible that she is molting now?

Should I continue with my weekly WC, or should I hold it off until she's done molting?

Gosh, I already miss her. She's usually one of my first precious babies to greet me in the morning besides my therapy/support dog. I hope she's ok.

You can continue to do water changes, won't make a difference. Keep those up for sure, it's how their shells get calcium and magnesium for strength. No, don't be concerned. They cover up because they're in a very vulnerable position when molting as their new and softer maybe shell hasn't hardened yet so it's a protection thing. She'll open the door when she's ready and she still may act more leary until she's comfortable.

Snow_Phoenix

You can continue to do water changes, won't make a difference. Keep those up for sure, it's how their shells get calcium and magnesium for strength. No, don't be concerned. They cover up because they're in a very vulnerable position when molting as their new and softer maybe shell hasn't hardened yet so it's a protection thing. She'll open the door when she's ready and she still may act more leary until she's comfortable.

Alright - I'll proceed with my weekly WC tomorrow. I was just gluing down some more zoas on the zoa island today and still peeking at her burrow in hopes of seeing her peep out, but no luck so far. Gilbert on the other hand seems as charming as ever, and has slowly began to claim the cave next to Freya's.

Snow_Phoenix

Guess who survived her first molt and decided to say hello today? :happy:

F4EIHhC.png

FKSNcjf.png

(She's still very shy - not that I blame her!)

Also, I noticed that Freya has changed colors! I only had a very quick flash of her dorsal abdomen before she zoomed back into her tunnel, but it appears that now she's a sort of teal blue/gray with a lighter green overlay - no longer the olive green with red bands that she previously fashioned. And her antennules are now a very dull orange/yellow, with her eyes being dark grey and her antennal scale being a mix of light blue + bright pink. I can't wait for her to be more interactive in the upcoming days so that I can get a few more good shots of her.

As for the zoas, some of them have doubled in size pretty quick, which I'm not sure if it is normal or not. :unsure:

Fkp8sJq.png

htBnelu.png

And here's a topshot view of the tank taken on 1/8/2015.

XRYDo3e.jpg

B)

Awesome. Glad it worked out. I know it's hard to be patient. And while you're waiting it really does seem forever. She may remain more extra shy until her shell hardens and she feels more secure.

Snow_Phoenix

Awesome. Glad it worked out. I know it's hard to be patient. And while you're waiting it really does seem forever. She may remain more extra shy until her shell hardens and she feels more secure.

Yep! She plugged up all her burrows again, so I think it'll be a few days until I see her up and about once more. :happy:

Mine plugs up for night time daily and reopens in the morning.

I measured Gertie. 1.75" so she's still small. But considering she was .5" she has grown tremendously. She was so tiny she didn't have to plug up anything, she was hiding in the rocks back then in the tunnels and pores.

Snow_Phoenix

Mine plugs up for night time daily and reopens in the morning.

I measured Gertie. 1.75" so she's still small. But considering she was .5" she has grown tremendously. She was so tiny she didn't have to plug up anything, she was hiding in the rocks back then in the tunnels and pores.

Oh yes - I recall how small Gertie was! She still has some ways left to grow right?

Glad she made it through her molt. So cute they close their "doors" at night!

I'm glad as well. And yes, I think the closing 'doors' is their best feature yet. :lol:

Snow_Phoenix

It's been 5 days since I last saw/heard Freya around the tank. None of the plugs in her burrows have been moved, and there are absolutely zero clicking sounds ever. Is she alive? Or could she have died in her burrow? :tears:

I'm very worried. It's the lack of sounds that worries me - even one tiny 'click' to show 'I'm okay' is good enough for me. I miss seeing her walk about my tank, thwack everything in her path and even shoot daggers at Gilbert the damsel.

In the meantime, I'll be doing a routine WC tomorrow and scrub down the glass a little. I really hope she shows up.

Snow_Phoenix

Maybe she made herself a home under the rocks like mine has. She has several homes in the tank. Do you have a lid?

I did see a large dugout space next to the rock she inhabits, but there's no visible burrows around the dugout area. She could be living in the sand as you suggested, but did you ever hear Gertie 'clicking' during molting? It's the lack of sound that bothers me the most.

Oh, and yes, I have a lid.

Snow_Phoenix

Well, somebody has finally gone through their first successful molt in the tank and become less antisocial. :happy:

No9dAIa.png

And this is the first time I ever caught her staring right ahead on film.

CKcpZQR.png

Also, her colors have now solidified. Looks like the 'grey/teal' coloring I saw about a week back might have been part of her molting exoskeleton or endoskeleton which hadn't strengthened yet. She's still a dark olive green with red bands, but is thicker and slightly longer than before.

In the meantime, I decided to have some fun with her and pop some dice in her tank:

Obk22Xi.png

A day later, she decides that most of the dice needs to be secretly buried because she's afraid I might steal them back. :lol:

9DqfEud.png

My Mushrooms seem to be growing rather well! And my giant Hairy shroom bopped out a tiny baby. :happy:

aePyBlG.png

GwIVCCR.png

YJcq0CE.png

Current FTS of the tank - sorry about the ruffled zoas - I had to do a FW dip when I noticed that some of them had nudis on them.

9fjT4U3.jpg

And here is finally my first video of Freya peeking out of her burrow:

Snow_Phoenix

Hurray! A video! I love mantis videos. It's hard to get them. Gertie hides when I put the camera closer.

Lol, Freya was hiding too! But then she grew curious and popped out a little, so I couldn't resist taking a small vid. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Somebody has been busy digging herself a new cave exit underground.

4ncf9zl.png

And I guess baby pink is now her favorite color.

3M2vd1N.png

Lastly, here she is, having a nice conversation with Gilbert early in the morning. :happy:

pAZDyV2.png

Snow_Phoenix

Part 1 of my Mantis Killing a Live Shrimp. If you listen closely, you can hear the 'click' of her smashers hitting the shrimp. The shrimp is later left stunned on the red piece of LR.

Part 2 of my Mantis killing a live shrimp. Finally, one more smash and dinner is served. Viewer discretion is advised.

Part 1 of my Mantis Killing a Live Shrimp. If you listen closely, you can hear the 'click' of her smashers hitting the shrimp. The shrimp is later left stunned on the red piece of LR.

Part 2 of my Mantis killing a live shrimp. Finally, one more smash and dinner is served. Viewer discretion is advised.

SWEET videos! I've heard about the crash noises before but never heard them myself. That's awesome

Archived