Innovative Marine Aquariums

What is the easiest clam to keep, conflicting info

Gooburz

The easiest clams to keep are big ass clams. Don't buy anything under 5" and you will be golden. There's a reason Gigas are basically unkillable and it's their size.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

The easiest clams to keep are big ass clams. Don't buy anything under 5" and you will be golden. There's a reason Gigas are basically unkillable and it's their size.

Im sure larger is easier, but 3" clams are my favorite and I've never had any trouble with them. Anything below 3" I wouldn't risk though

Im sure larger is easier, but 3" clams are my favorite and I've never had any trouble with them. Anything below 3" I wouldn't risk though

How is a specific size your favorite? It's not like they morph into something else after 3".

HarryPotter

How is a specific size your favorite? It's not like they morph into something else after 3".

Oh lol I meant because I think the 3" ones are the "Cutest" size; small enough to not take over my 45g aquarium yet large enough to be hardy.

Oh lol I meant because I think the 3" ones are the "Cutest" size; small enough to not take over my 45g aquarium yet large enough to be hardy.

What do you do when they get bigger? My derasa has doubled in size in less than 4 months. One should plan clams based on their large size as a well kept tank with good lighting will make them grow fast. It takes only a year for a Derasa to hit 5-6" and they keep on growing. Maximas slow down growth considerably at 6" but before then they grow fast in a well kept tank.

HarryPotter

What do you do when they get bigger? My derasa has doubled in size in less than 4 months. One should plan clams based on their large size as a well kept tank with good lighting will make them grow fast. It takes only a year for a Derasa to hit 5-6" and they keep on growing. Maximas slow down growth considerably at 6" but before then they grow fast in a well kept tank.

When they get bigger ill adjust the scape accordingly, and if necessary trade one or two in to the Local Aquaculture Business :)

I gotta check out your tank/clams :)

Cameron6796

From my experience, Croceas are the easiest to keep. They are not as light demanding, and once they put their foot down are completely independent.

I currently have two beautiful Maximas and two beautiful Croceas- and neither is difficult to keep. Just keep high lighting and make sure the water is never "too clean".

Hmm I've only ever read the exact opposite... Well atleast on the lighting aspect. Croceas are super light hungry, and "WERE" once hardest to keep alive but it's shifted towards maxi as being hardest to keep alive have somewhere between a 25% -75% success rate (not actual statistics just what I've witnessed.

So if I were to say what's easiest I'd say deresa clams and squamosa clams. Both are mid to high light clams and are a little more hardy in terms of water parameters.

Next id say croceas as long as you have a healthy specimen and high lighting. And then hardest are maximas, with exceptions of a good supplier and a stable tank, in which case all clams are not overly complicated to keep alive and healthy.

HarryPotter

Hmm I've only ever read the exact opposite... Well atleast on the lighting aspect. Croceas are super light hungry, and "WERE" once hardest to keep alive but it's shifted towards maxi as being hardest to keep alive have somewhere between a 25% -75% success rate (not actual statistics just what I've witnessed.

So if I were to say what's easiest I'd say deresa clams and squamosa clams. Both are mid to high light clams and are a little more hardy in terms of water parameters.

Next id say croceas as long as you have a healthy specimen and high lighting. And then hardest are maximas, with exceptions of a good supplier and a stable tank, in which case all clams are not overly complicated to keep alive and healthy.

Very good points!

I am fortunate enough to have a large aquaculture business that specializes in clams within 10 minutes of my home. The clams are immaculate, and they have probably 100 at a time.

I agree that it's all about the source. If a clam is ripped off a rock in Indonesia and the foot is torn, there's no way in hell that clam is going to prosper.

In terms of lighting, my clams (not to be crude) don't really give a damn! On the sand bed, high on the rock work, etc they are all nice and healthy. Maybe that's just my precious- the Radion.

Cameron6796

I believe what you say about your clams not being as picky as they are perceived generally. After all these are animals and they aren't always predictable.

Personally croceas are my favourite clam, so I'm happy that you are having good experiences with them.

UGH this deployment needs to end, I wana get home to my reef tank already lol. Maybe I'll just get 1 of each clam species :)

HarryPotter

UGH this deployment needs to end, I wana get home to my reef tank already lol. Maybe I'll just get 1 of each clam species :)

Haha that always works!

(If you're serious watch out for drastically changing parameters such as Ca and KH with the 4-5 clams!)

And when is your deployment over?

Ill leave you with this picture of my Maxima Clam and Crocea clam that have slowly moved together

IMG_2089_zpshu3faph3.jpg

Thats just it, my parameters don't really change at all with my Ca or KH. I don't know how I'm doing it but I mess with the tank as little as possibly, hardly at all really. I do 10 gallon water changes every 2 weeks roughly and use Red Sea Coral Pro salt with a couple drops of Ca in the batch and everything stays stable.

I've never believed in messing with the tank in over 2 years of it running nor do I believe in dosing or using chemicals in the tank. Just a really good CuC, Skimmer, adequate lighting cycle, and I don't over feed.

Haha that always works!

(If you're serious watch out for drastically changing parameters such as Ca and KH with the 4-5 clams!)

And when is your deployment over?

Ill leave you with this picture of my Maxima Clam and Crocea clam that have slowly moved together

IMG_2089_zpshu3faph3.jpg

Beautiful clams btw, thanks for rubbing it in! And deployment won't be over soon enough! got another 3 months roughly but last call I'm proud of myself, rather than buying something or getting more drinks/food I thought of my reef fund hahaha

I think the two easiest are squamosas and derasas. I have a squamosa that is coming up on two years old and a derasa that is about a year and a half old. Both are down on my sandbed, since they aren't as light demanding as my other clams. They've also both survived a tank crash and a tank transfer with no issues. Definitely very hardy! My derasa is about 4.5" and my squamosa is probably 2.5". I also recently got a 9" squamosa from Gena who had it for over a year.

Also, Harry, while I'm sure your clams are doing great, haven't you only had them for a couple months? Kind of hard to weigh in on general comparisons, like which sizes do well long term. Usually you're considered successful with a clam if you've had it for over a year. It can take a long time for a clam to start having issues and die from not enough light, so a couple months isn't really an indicator of long term success.

Cameron6796

It's like a Mandarin dragonet ^^^ they can starve for months before finally dying. Clams are similar they can seem fine for. On this then one morning you will find it dead.

jedimaster1138

Derasa are the easiest. They require the least light and don't need to be anchored to a rock. (In fact they don't want to be) They also grow the fastest.

Squamosa are not far off either, but want to grab a rock, so that makes them slightly more difficult.

Crocea are NOT the easiest - PERIOD - in fact are probably the most difficult. It's either them or maxima for that title) They (both) want to be blasted with light and need a nice solid base and much more stable chemistry. Maxima are similar in that respect, but are slightly more forgiving. They absolutely hate swinging chemistry though. Alkalinity must stay nice and stable.

All clams appreciate a little bit of nitrate and phosphate. Fish poop good.

Derasa are the easiest. They require the least light and don't need to be anchored to a rock. (In fact they don't want to be) They also grow the fastest.

I tricked my little derasa, she's attached to a cradle which I then buried in the sand. :happydance:

HarryPotter

I tricked my little derasa, she's attached to a cradle which I then buried in the sand. :happydance:

HA did the same thing with my Maxima and Crocea

Thats just it, my parameters don't really change at all with my Ca or KH. I don't know how I'm doing it but I mess with the tank as little as possibly, hardly at all really. I do 10 gallon water changes every 2 weeks roughly and use Red Sea Coral Pro salt with a couple drops of Ca in the batch and everything stays stable.

I've never believed in messing with the tank in over 2 years of it running nor do I believe in dosing or using chemicals in the tank. Just a really good CuC, Skimmer, adequate lighting cycle, and I don't over feed.

Well, that is going to change if you start adding some clams into the mix or higher demand corals. You will need to do something to keep the Ca up. Two week water changes isn't going to cut it. Actually, you are dosing if you are adding a few drops of Ca to your water change water.

Sure, you can be successful by neglecting the tank and hoping for the best, but your odds are way higher if you start doing some regular testing and see what really is going on. Especially so if you want to start to keep clams. Dosing 2 part is easy as can be really.

It's like a Mandarin dragonet ^^^ they can starve for months before finally dying. Clams are similar they can seem fine for. On this then one morning you will find it dead.

Truth.

That's why people with only a few months experience with clams should really try hard to refrain from giving too much advice. Tomorrow they could have clam chowder and would have no clue why.

Well, that is going to change if you start adding some clams into the mix or higher demand corals. You will need to do something to keep the Ca up. Two week water changes isn't going to cut it. Actually, you are dosing if you are adding a few drops of Ca to your water change water.

Sure, you can be successful by neglecting the tank and hoping for the best, but your odds are way higher if you start doing some regular testing and see what really is going on. Especially so if you want to start to keep clams. Dosing 2 part is easy as can be really.

Truth.

That's why people with only a few months experience with clams should really try hard to refrain from giving too much advice. Tomorrow they could have clam chowder and would have no clue why.

I've always taken things VERY slow with my reef tank to make sure things stay stable, I do test my parameters in my tank but I don't test daily like a lot of people do. Once I get the sump going and have the clams added I'll be putting Kalk into the ATO but that will be started out very low until I can hone it in to the desired level.

I don't neglect my tank, you misunderstand a lot with that. I wouldn't have a reef tank with 2 years with little to no problems if I neglected my tank. I just don't see the need to mess with it daily.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read great reviews from Perfect Corals with their clams and once I get it, it will be sitting in a clam hammock

SHHH don't tell them, they will buy all the good clams up on me before I get home :P

Yes true mine was raised like that foot was never attached..

If you're really interested in giant clams, I would recommend to purchase and read this book beforehand: http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Clams-Aquarium-James-Fatherree/dp/0978619404/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436902465&sr=8-1&keywords=giant+clams+james+fatherree

Best advice possible. That book is amazing.

Also, Derasa by a long shot. They require half the light of Maxima/Crocea and live happily in the sand.

Best advice possible. That book is amazing.

Also, Derasa by a long shot. They require half the light of Maxima/Crocea and live happily in the sand.

I agree Derasa are a great hardy clam I have mine under Leds on the sand bed doing great!

I have one derasa and one crocea i know derasa is the 2.bigest of all clams and derasa is the smallest but is it ok to but them together and on rocks and not i/on sand?

Btw derasa is the one that is easyest to get to grow "for me in my reef"

image_zpsc20ywfj2.jpg

I have one derasa and one crocea i know derasa is the 2.bigest of all clams and derasa is the smallest but is it ok to but them together and on rocks and not i/on sand?

Btw derasa is the one that is easyest to get to grow "for me in my reef"

image_zpsc20ywfj2.jpg

I have a Maxima and Crocea together on rock :)

E30246E7-B430-4F0D-8895-EE74490AE0E8_zps

Archived